Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Post Reply
User avatar
obZen
Interpol Agent
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:24 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by obZen »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:01 pmMV Godzilla Earth...
I CALLED IT

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:12 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:03 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm
Image

People tend to forget we already have a good picture of a Godzilla skull from the Monsterverse. It's a Godzilla. It even has the canines and ondly short nose and rounded forehead.

Added in 25 seconds:


See above.
that thing had fangs that Godzilla nor that drawing have.
Individual variation. Dagon also has different dorsal plates; but he is definitely a Godzilla.
Differing dorsal plates are quite a step different that a total shift in dentition

User avatar
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Painis Island

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:12 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:03 pm

that thing had fangs that Godzilla nor that drawing have.
Individual variation. Dagon also has different dorsal plates; but he is definitely a Godzilla.
Differing dorsal plates are quite a step different that a total shift in dentition
Individual variation; some animals will have longer teeth than others. Dagon has canines like the skeleton, and Dagon was much smaller-larger teeth are common in larger animals. There is more in common WITH the two than there is difference.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sat May 01, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Image
Image

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:23 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:12 pm

Individual variation. Dagon also has different dorsal plates; but he is definitely a Godzilla.
Differing dorsal plates are quite a step different that a total shift in dentition
Individual variation; some animals will have longer teeth than others. Dagon has canines like the skeleton, and Dagon was much smaller-larger teeth are common in larger animals. There is more in common WITH the two than there is difference.
I don't remember dagon having fangs

User avatar
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Painis Island

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:31 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:23 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm
Differing dorsal plates are quite a step different that a total shift in dentition
Individual variation; some animals will have longer teeth than others. Dagon has canines like the skeleton, and Dagon was much smaller-larger teeth are common in larger animals. There is more in common WITH the two than there is difference.
I don't remember dagon having fangs
The skeleton in the illustration literally has enlarged canines
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Image
Image

User avatar
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:27 am Just popping in to say according to Ilene in the novel the skull that Kong pulls the axe from is very similar to Godzilla's bones. She even compares it to Dagon and Godzilla.
Just so there's no doubt about what you're referring to, here's a quote.
The glowing blue seams in the stone were everywhere here, and the stone of the floor glowed here and there with reddish hotspots, like magma was pooled just below the surface. Scatterings of huge bones were visible in that dim light; in the brighter HEAV floodlights they were recognizable as those of Titans. And one, still largely articulated, seemed especially familiar. She had seen pictures of such skeletons, from the Philippines, and elsewhere. She’d seen bones like this covered in muscle and scale. It was a species that resembled Godzilla. Kong noticed the remains. He stared at them at first without comprehension, but then she saw fury dawn on his features. He stood over the skeleton for a moment and then, with great deliberation he bent toward the reptilian neck. She saw something was lodged there, and as she watched he took hold of it, pulled, and then yanked it free and held it aloft, beating his chest. It looked for all the world like some sort of outlandish scepter, sized for Kong.
(Keyes, Gregory. Godzilla vs. Kong: The Official Movie Novelization. Titan Books, 2021, p. 214)

Should I have gone that far to cite it?
Anyway, there we go.

It's clearly not a Godzilla skeleton in the movie. The novelization made this distinction, which is interesting and kinda strange.
ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:25 am If it is a Godzilla then the design department did not try there. But then again, that also implies Godzilla might still be growing. Which is honestly insane.
I don't think this implies much. There is no sense of how large the skeleton is in the novel. The visuals in the movie aren't meant to match the novelization. Instead of it being lodged in the skull, it's apparently in the neck. And, we have no idea how big this skeleton is supposed to be.
Image

People tend to forget we already have a good picture of a Godzilla skull from the Monsterverse. It's a Godzilla. It even has the canines and ondly short nose and rounded forehead.
I didn't forget anything at all. I'm well aware of this. I just don't see that as a properly illustrated Godzilla skull or skeleton in that image. Thegarbagemonster and I talked about that a while back, I believe in the rumor thread and maybe here for a bit. Godzilla doesn't have molars, and neither does the representation of Dagon in Aftershock, but the 5146_ADAM drawing does. It's very poorly designed, but let's act as if it's accurate. In the movie, that's even worse if it's meant to be a member of his species, and doesn't match with the skeletal drawing of 5146_ADAM. Neither Godzilla nor 5146_ADAM/Dagon have large, mammalian fangs, but the massive skull in the Hollow Earth does. It also clearly fails to match Godzilla's anatomy overall.

The skeleton isn't acknowledged to be of any significance within the movie itself by the characters or in presentation. And if you read that direct quote I provided, the axe was presumably within or near the neck vertebrae, rather than clearly embedded in the skull. That's a notable difference, and pretty much renders this as an example of one of the many interesting differences between the novel and the movie.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Sat May 01, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. :lol:

User avatar
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Painis Island

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:54 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 am
Just so there's no doubt about what you're referring to, here's a quote.

(Keyes, Gregory. Godzilla vs. Kong: The Official Movie Novelization. Titan Books, 2021, p. 214)

Should I have gone that far to cite it?
Anyway, there we go.

It's clearly not a Godzilla skeleton in the movie. The novelization made this distinction, which is interesting and kinda strange.


I don't think this implies much. There is no sense of how large the skeleton is in the novel. The visuals in the movie aren't meant to match the novelization. Instead of it being lodged in the skull, it's apparently in the neck. And, we have no idea how big this skeleton is supposed to be.
Image

People tend to forget we already have a good picture of a Godzilla skull from the Monsterverse. It's a Godzilla. It even has the canines and ondly short nose and rounded forehead.
I didn't forget anything at all. I'm well aware of this. I just don't see that as a properly illustrated Godzilla skull or skeleton in that image. Thegarbagemonster and I talked about that a while back, I believe in the rumor thread and maybe here for a bit. Godzilla doesn't have molars, and neither does the representation of Dagon in Aftershock, but the 5146_ADAM drawing does. It's very poorly designed, but let's act as if it's accurate. In the movie, that's even worse if it's meant to be a member of his species, and doesn't match with the skeletal drawing of 5146_ADAM. Neither Godzilla nor 5146_ADAM/Dagon have large, mammalian fangs, but the massive skull in the Hollow Earth does. It also clearly fails to match Godzilla's anatomy overall.

The skeleton isn't acknowledged to be of any significance within the movie itself by the characters or in presentation. And if you read that direct quote I provided, the axe was presumably within or near the neck vertebrae, rather than clearly embedded in the skull. That's a notable difference, and pretty much renders this as an example of one of the many interesting differences between the novel and the movie.
Teeth in animals tend to be larger the larger an animal is-the chamber skeleton was much larger than either. The chamber skeletal also has more in common with the skeletal of Dagon than there are differences. These include:
.a large, broad forehead
.canines (lengthened in the chamber-dweller's case,though this is hardly surprising given its larger size)
.large zygomatic process that creates an almond shaped cavity
.mammalian nasal cavity
.oval general shape

Regardless of how badly you consider the skeletal of Dagon represents a Godzilla skeleton (I agree, it barely looks like him) it is a canonical representation of a Godzilla's skeleton that matches the chamber skeleton. There's also the fact that soft tissue goes a long way in making an animal look the way it does. Regardless of whether or not the characters acknowledge the skeleton (and that does not prove anything: A random skeleton that appears off-focus of a scene for a few seconds need not be given an acknowledging line) the implication and anatomy suggest it is a Godzilla skeleton, like it or not.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Image
Image

User avatar
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4557
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm
Location: Mushroom kingdom
Contact:

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by ernesth100 »

People saying Kong pushed Godzilla back with one arm in the "axe mouth" moment. Lol. Idiots. Godzilla literally stepped back then tackled Kong into the ocean.

Lmaoo, the strength Kong shoes is admirable, impressive and downright terrifying. But G is just in another league. It's just how it is.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

Image

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:38 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:31 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:23 pm

Individual variation; some animals will have longer teeth than others. Dagon has canines like the skeleton, and Dagon was much smaller-larger teeth are common in larger animals. There is more in common WITH the two than there is difference.
I don't remember dagon having fangs
The skeleton in the illustration literally has enlarged canines
Those aren't enlarged canines

They're a diagram of his teeth at a larger scale for a detailed portrayal

A LOT of animal illustrations do that with teeth, eyes, organs and so on

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:10 pm People saying Kong pushed Godzilla back with one arm in the "axe mouth" moment. Lol. Idiots. Godzilla literally stepped back then tackled Kong into the ocean.

Lmaoo, the strength Kong shoes is admirable, impressive and downright terrifying. But G is just in another league. It's just how it is.
Yeah, he didn't push him back, Godzilla stepped back because he had some crammed down his throat.......they also ignoring Godzilla ramming into him, pushing him back then overpowering and pushing him back with one arm.

User avatar
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Painis Island

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:58 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:38 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:31 pm

I don't remember dagon having fangs
The skeleton in the illustration literally has enlarged canines
Those aren't enlarged canines

They're a diagram of his teeth at a larger scale for a detailed portrayal

A LOT of animal illustrations do that with teeth, eyes, organs and so on

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:10 pm People saying Kong pushed Godzilla back with one arm in the "axe mouth" moment. Lol. Idiots. Godzilla literally stepped back then tackled Kong into the ocean.

Lmaoo, the strength Kong shoes is admirable, impressive and downright terrifying. But G is just in another league. It's just how it is.
No, he literally has an enlarged tooth near the front of his jaw. IK those separate teeth are blown up.
Yeah, he didn't push him back, Godzilla stepped back because he had some crammed down his throat.......they also ignoring Godzilla ramming into him, pushing him back then overpowering and pushing him back with one arm.
No, he literally has an enlarged tooth near the front of his jaw. IK those separate teeth are blown up.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sat May 01, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Image
Image

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Showzilla »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:58 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:58 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:38 pm

The skeleton in the illustration literally has enlarged canines
Those aren't enlarged canines

They're a diagram of his teeth at a larger scale for a detailed portrayal

A LOT of animal illustrations do that with teeth, eyes, organs and so on

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:10 pm People saying Kong pushed Godzilla back with one arm in the "axe mouth" moment. Lol. Idiots. Godzilla literally stepped back then tackled Kong into the ocean.

Lmaoo, the strength Kong shoes is admirable, impressive and downright terrifying. But G is just in another league. It's just how it is.
No, he literally has an enlarged tooth near the front of his jaw. IK those separate teeth are blown up.
Yeah, he didn't push him back, Godzilla stepped back because he had some crammed down his throat.......they also ignoring Godzilla ramming into him, pushing him back then overpowering and pushing him back with one arm.
Dude, I've never seen Dagon with enlarged teeth and we saw his body in aftershock

User avatar
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm Teeth in animals tend to be larger the larger an animal is-the chamber skeleton was much larger than either.
Nope. You know better. That's not how that works. Various reptiles do not undergo major changes like that, especially not as adults. The skull in the Hollow Earth is very nearly saber-toothed by comparison to either 5146_ADAM or Godzilla. Just for this alone, I was almost done with this conversation. I hate to sound harsh.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm The chamber skeletal also has more in common with the skeletal of Dagon than there are differences. These include:
.a large, broad forehead
.canines (lengthened in the chamber-dweller's case,though this is hardly surprising given its larger size)
.large zygomatic process that creates an almond shaped cavity
.mammalian nasal cavity
.oval general shape
You should look at them side-by-side, and you'll find that they look almost nothing alike besides the mammalian features. For example, the nares aren't even the same shape. The skull in the Hollow Earth is not as blunt or deep, and looks narrower overall. 5146_ADAM doesn't have defined canines. The Hollow Earth skull looks more like some kind of caniform skull, like a wolf, bear, or even amphicyon (even without the defined sagittal crest of the latter). As a whole, it looks nothing like Godzilla.

Godzilla, while heterodont, doesn't have any teeth that could be considered truly analogous to those enlarged canines. The 5146_ADAM drawing doesn't have very large teeth at all, and has molars for whatever reason. The teeth are also messy and misaligned. The skull in the Hollow Earth has very enlarged canines, no molars.

Godzilla wouldn't have such smooth zygomatic bones. His skull wouldn't look like a dog's. He'd have a similar structure known as a jugal bone, and it would likely retain the rougher look of his scales (which are mostly dermal scales, rather than epidermal like a lizard). His jaw structure would likely be similar to something like a (rhinoceros) iguana's. His nares would be more spaced apart.

You're going to have to explain that "almond shaped cavity" thing. That's something I'm not seeing. Or, just leave it as a difference between the novelization and the movie.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm Regardless of how badly you consider the skeletal of Dagon represents a Godzilla skeleton (I agree, it barely looks like him) it is a canonical representation of a Godzilla's skeleton that matches the chamber skeleton.
And the canon is completely broken in spots. Everything seems to get retconned eventually. You know this already. The only thing that backs you up is that the Ghidorah skulls are oversized tyrannosaurus skulls with horns, showing how little care they put into making these things.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm There's also the fact that soft tissue goes a long way in making an animal look the way it does.
For mammals. Godzilla isn't a mammal. That sort of thing doesn't really apply for reptiles like Godzilla. Soft tissue doesn't remotely make as much of a difference for lepidosaurs, testudines, or archosaurs. You can deduce the look of the skull simply by looking at them. Their integument barely hides their skeleton. Look at a caiman, a marabou stork, an armadillo lizard, an alligator snapping turtle, or the aforementioned rhinoceros iguana.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm Regardless of whether or not the characters acknowledge the skeleton (and that does not prove anything: A random skeleton that appears off-focus of a scene for a few seconds need not be given an acknowledging line) the implication and anatomy suggest it is a Godzilla skeleton, like it or not.
The point I made is that the novel goes out of its way to describe a scene that very clearly does not take place in the same way in the movie. It makes it clear that the skeleton is still "largely articulated," unlike the scattered and broken remains in the movie, and that Kong pulls the axe from near the neck of it, not the skull. The novelization is descriptive and would say if it was the skull or not. Ilene is said to have seen pictures of skeletons like it in the "Philippines, and elsewhere." It could have been a skeleton of a member of Godzilla's species in an earlier version of the story, but changed in the final film. The novelization is full of differences like that. It certainly does prove something. It would have been of great significance to present it as a Godzilla skeleton, but it simply wasn't. Like it or not.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. :lol:

User avatar
Jermobooka
G-Grasper
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm
Location: Somewheeeere over the rainbow

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Jermobooka »

MES back to debating semantics and science, eh? :lol:

In all seriousness, it’s probably not a Goji skeleton. Way too big, unless Titanus Gojira can grow to that size...
Image

User avatar
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:43 am MES back to debating semantics and science, eh? :lol:

In all seriousness, it’s probably not a Goji skeleton. Way too big, unless Titanus Gojira can grow to that size...
Hold up, you should be saying that to Gawdziller1954 for bringing it all up. I was quoting the novelization and whatnot. It takes at least two to debate. And this isn't very scientific. This is surface-level stuff. :lol:

It's too big to be a member of his species, the skull is a special kind of wrong (including the dentition), and the scene is not the same between the novel and the movie. There's not much more to be said.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. :lol:

User avatar
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Painis Island

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:43 am MES back to debating semantics and science, eh? :lol:

In all seriousness, it’s probably not a Goji skeleton. Way too big, unless Titanus Gojira can grow to that size...
Who says Godzilla can't grow to that size? Godzilla had an unexplained growth spurt of 11 meters between 2014 and 2019.

Added in 30 minutes 17 seconds:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:41 am
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm Teeth in animals tend to be larger the larger an animal is-the chamber skeleton was much larger than either.
Nope. You know better. That's not how that works. Various reptiles do not undergo major changes like that, especially not as adults. The skull in the Hollow Earth is very nearly saber-toothed by comparison to either 5146_ADAM or Godzilla. Just for this alone, I was almost done with this conversation. I hate to sound harsh.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm The chamber skeletal also has more in common with the skeletal of Dagon than there are differences. These include:
.a large, broad forehead
.canines (lengthened in the chamber-dweller's case,though this is hardly surprising given its larger size)
.large zygomatic process that creates an almond shaped cavity
.mammalian nasal cavity
.oval general shape
You should look at them side-by-side, and you'll find that they look almost nothing alike besides the mammalian features. For example, the nares aren't even the same shape. The skull in the Hollow Earth is not as blunt or deep, and looks narrower overall. 5146_ADAM doesn't have defined canines. The Hollow Earth skull looks more like some kind of caniform skull, like a wolf, bear, or even amphicyon (even without the defined sagittal crest of the latter). As a whole, it looks nothing like Godzilla.

Godzilla, while heterodont, doesn't have any teeth that could be considered truly analogous to those enlarged canines. The 5146_ADAM drawing doesn't have very large teeth at all, and has molars for whatever reason. The teeth are also messy and misaligned. The skull in the Hollow Earth has very enlarged canines, no molars.

Godzilla wouldn't have such smooth zygomatic bones. His skull wouldn't look like a dog's. He'd have a similar structure known as a jugal bone, and it would likely retain the rougher look of his scales (which are mostly dermal scales, rather than epidermal like a lizard). His jaw structure would likely be similar to something like a (rhinoceros) iguana's. His nares would be more spaced apart.

You're going to have to explain that "almond shaped cavity" thing. That's something I'm not seeing. Or, just leave it as a difference between the novelization and the movie.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm Regardless of how badly you consider the skeletal of Dagon represents a Godzilla skeleton (I agree, it barely looks like him) it is a canonical representation of a Godzilla's skeleton that matches the chamber skeleton.
And the canon is completely broken in spots. Everything seems to get retconned eventually. You know this already. The only thing that backs you up is that the Ghidorah skulls are oversized tyrannosaurus skulls with horns, showing how little care they put into making these things.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm There's also the fact that soft tissue goes a long way in making an animal look the way it does.
For mammals. Godzilla isn't a mammal. That sort of thing doesn't really apply for reptiles like Godzilla. Soft tissue doesn't remotely make as much of a difference for lepidosaurs, testudines, or archosaurs. You can deduce the look of the skull simply by looking at them. Their integument barely hides their skeleton. Look at a caiman, a marabou stork, an armadillo lizard, an alligator snapping turtle, or the aforementioned rhinoceros iguana.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:21 pm Regardless of whether or not the characters acknowledge the skeleton (and that does not prove anything: A random skeleton that appears off-focus of a scene for a few seconds need not be given an acknowledging line) the implication and anatomy suggest it is a Godzilla skeleton, like it or not.
The point I made is that the novel goes out of its way to describe a scene that very clearly does not take place in the same way in the movie. It makes it clear that the skeleton is still "largely articulated," unlike the scattered and broken remains in the movie, and that Kong pulls the axe from near the neck of it, not the skull. The novelization is descriptive and would say if it was the skull or not. Ilene is said to have seen pictures of skeletons like it in the "Philippines, and elsewhere." It could have been a skeleton of a member of Godzilla's species in an earlier version of the story, but changed in the final film. The novelization is full of differences like that. It certainly does prove something. It would have been of great significance to present it as a Godzilla skeleton, but it simply wasn't. Like it or not.
I have looked at them side-by-side. I've even took blown-up screenshots. They are similar in shape and appearance.

Godzilla has far more facial soft tissue than any real-life reptile now or extinct, as evidenced by the fact he can grin like a slasher movie villain. No reptile can do this but he can-because he was inspired by bears and other large mammals. We must keep in mind that Godzilla is not necessarily a "true" reptile despite looking like one. The nares are also the same shape-one can look at them and clearly see they are at least very similar.

You really could've just used any other bear-dog, too-amphicyon is the outstanding member when it comes to jaw muscle. Magericyon is a far better choice.

Dagon's skeletal diagram does have canines. The 7th visible tooth in the upper jaw corresponds to a canine.

You can continue saying what Godzilla "Should" have as part of his skeletal. I'm going to continue relying on an actual part of the canon showing a Godzilla skeletal until they release something that contradicts it.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Image
Image

User avatar
obZen
Interpol Agent
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:24 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by obZen »

Godzilla could’ve grown from 350ft to 393ft after coming into contact/soaking up the radiation released by the nuke that detonated off the SF coast.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Sazer
Posts: 14859
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by miguelnuva »

obZen wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:08 am Godzilla could’ve grown from 350ft to 393ft after coming into contact/soaking up the radiation released by the nuke that detonated off the SF coast.
Fighting Muto Prime made him grow. I forgot who said but it was mentioned by the Legendary comic team that Aftershock would explain why he was different in kotm from 14.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

Image

ImageImage Image

User avatar
MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 826
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:01 am
Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:43 am MES back to debating semantics and science, eh? :lol:

In all seriousness, it’s probably not a Goji skeleton. Way too big, unless Titanus Gojira can grow to that size...
Who says Godzilla can't grow to that size? Godzilla had an unexplained growth spurt of 11 meters between 2014 and 2019.
That's 36 feet. He got little over 10% larger. From 2019 to 2024, he didn't grow at all. For consistency, members of his species should be relatively proportionate to him.

And why do you want this to be a member of Godzilla's species so badly, anyway? It's a forgettable skull, overshadowed by the spectacle of Kong and his axe.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 am Godzilla has far more facial soft tissue than any real-life reptile now or extinct, as evidenced by the fact he can grin like a slasher movie villain. No reptile can do this but he can-because he was inspired by bears and other large mammals. We must keep in mind that Godzilla is not necessarily a "true" reptile despite looking like one.
Godzilla naturally has what looks like a smile on his face, like many reptiles and birds. They played with the movement of his jaw, brows, eyes, and nostrils to create a more exaggerated look. It's not really a true smile like a human. This look is seen in Godzilla 2014, too.

His facial rigidity is sacrificed to make him expressive and "relatable." He was a bit more stoic in 2014 (which I honestly preferred). Most fictional reptilian monsters and dragons are way more expressive than real reptiles, in part because apparently people think it's cooler when other creatures exhibit human characteristics and emotions. We do this with everything for whatever reason, even with apes. We must keep in mind that while Godzilla isn't real, he's based upon some real reptiles and birds. His skull should at least reflect that a bit. But who cares, Ghidorah was more expressive than Godzilla, and yet has tyrannosaur skulls.

You also can't say that definitively about extinct reptiles. Just saying.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 am The nares are also the same shape-one can look at them and clearly see they are at least very similar.
They're not. The Hollow Earth skull's nares look like a dog's. It's pretty different in shape (narrower at the top, wider towards the bottom), while 5146_ADAM has two distinct nares that are pretty much the inverse shape (wide at the top, narrow at the bottom). And neither match with Godzilla, with his boxy, blunt snout.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 am You really could've just used any other bear-dog, too-amphicyon is the outstanding member when it comes to jaw muscle. Magericyon is a far better choice.
There's literally no reason for this. You know exactly what I'm talking about. I just said it looked more like a caniform (canid, ursid, or in-between), not like Godzilla, and provided three examples. I also said "without the defined sagittal crest."
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 am Dagon's skeletal diagram does have canines. The 7th visible tooth in the upper jaw corresponds to a canine.
Does Godzilla have molars or canines? Does 5146_ADAM/Dagon have the massive canines of the Hollow Earth skull? Does the Hollow Earth skull match perfectly with either one? No? Then it doesn't work.
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 am You can continue saying what Godzilla "Should" have as part of his skeletal. I'm going to continue relying on an actual part of the canon showing a Godzilla skeletal until they release something that contradicts it.
Godzilla's mere design contradicts the whole thing. Seriously. There's no point to this if you just recognize that the novelization and the movie don't match 1 to 1.

And I'll keep asserting that his skull should be far closer of a match, rather than looking like some kind of dog. It's a shame when fans can design better skulls for an official design than professionals in the industry can. Just saying, this model from Egalvez Projects is so much better, even with some anatomical oversights.
Image
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. :lol:

User avatar
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4557
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm
Location: Mushroom kingdom
Contact:

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by ernesth100 »

That skull implies Godzilla's eye muscles are bones though. The smaller skull is more accurate. People forget skeletons don't like the people. So why would Goji's skeleton look like him?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

Image

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

User avatar
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff
Posts: 1271
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by cloverfan98 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:32 pm
obZen wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:08 am Godzilla could’ve grown from 350ft to 393ft after coming into contact/soaking up the radiation released by the nuke that detonated off the SF coast.
Fighting Muto Prime made him grow. I forgot who said but it was mentioned by the Legendary comic team that Aftershock would explain why he was different in kotm from 14.
Its probably safe to say that Godzilla was hibernating in a deep state of suspended animation before the events of 2014 and after being re awoken his body began growing again plus the radiation he fed off of from the nuke at the end of 2014 like you said.

Post Reply