Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Godzilla21 »

The MG design is growing on me. I disliked it at first but after seeing him in action I'm liking him more and more. He's a fierce fighter too. What happened to the Japan release date? Still delayed.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Apparently armored Godzilla was a thing https://twitter.com/faeriezilla/status/ ... 61986?s=20

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Monke wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:25 pm Apparently armored Godzilla was a thing https://twitter.com/faeriezilla/status/ ... 61986?s=20
Thank christ it was removed. It looked dumb on the toy and would’ve looked even worse in the film
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:38 pm
Monke wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:25 pm Apparently armored Godzilla was a thing https://twitter.com/faeriezilla/status/ ... 61986?s=20
Thank christ it was removed. It looked dumb on the toy and would’ve looked even worse in the film
I’m interested in how it would been incorporated though. It’s origins and the means of getting it

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I still need more confirmation on the armor. Removed from a movie that close to release means more toys should have had it. In late 2020 Godzilla vs Kong was suppose to have been out so how come only one toy had the armor?

My artbook came into today maybe I'll see it there.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri May 21, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I would suggest he guts the Mecha for the armor, buuuuuuut that doesn't line up with the timeline of the plot at all. Not like he needed the armor much against Kong anyways– he brute forced and tanked most hits, and even took the energy explosion from the axe right to the face without much visible damage (if any).
My suggestion: either Apex was originally not building a mecha + helped Godzilla with armoring up, or they realized Big G didn't need any armor for the Kong fights.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Only thing that make sense to me is the armor was to weaken Godzilla. Maybe steal it from G and send it to MechaG.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

I have a feeling Godzilla took out Kong for good initially (either incapacitating him beyond help/killing him, or sending him to Hollow Earth) and Monarch needed to suit up Godzilla to defeat MG after MG knocks him out. This could have been before HE energy was given to MG, so Megagodzilla battled HE-powered Mechagodzilla in the final scene.

Also, I have a suspicion that there’s a second Mechagodzilla that was built and will be revealed later. This first MG may be the test prototype.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:11 pm Only thing that make sense to me is the armor was to weaken Godzilla. Maybe steal it from G and send it to MechaG.
That’s what I thought at first, especially after seeing initial art that had Godzilla’s dorsal plates sawed off under the armour. But the toy is called Megagodzilla so it’s likely to be a powered up version instead of a weakened one.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

plasmabeam wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:37 pm
I have a feeling Godzilla took out Kong for good initially (either incapacitating him beyond help/killing him, or sending him to Hollow Earth) and Monarch needed to suit up Godzilla to defeat MG after MG knocks him out. This could have been before HE energy was given to MG, so Megagodzilla battled HE-powered Mechagodzilla in the final scene.

Also, I have a suspicion that there’s a second Mechagodzilla that was built and will be revealed later. This first MG may be the test prototype.

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 10:11 pm Only thing that make sense to me is the armor was to weaken Godzilla. Maybe steal it from G and send it to MechaG.
That’s what I thought at first, especially after seeing initial art that had Godzilla’s dorsal plates sawed off under the armour. But the toy is called Megagodzilla so it’s likely to be a powered up version instead of a weakened one.
Mega Godzilla is because he is the 13 inch toy like Mega Kong.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 11:41 pm

“Giant Godzilla” is the large one. The names of the toys are quite descriptive of their movie parallels.

https://www.amazon.ca/PlayMates-Monster ... B085TRNFGH
Last edited by plasmabeam on Sat May 22, 2021 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

plasmabeam wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:56 am

“Giant Godzilla” is the large one. The names of the toys are quite descriptive of their movie parallels.

The 11 inch figures are giant. The 13 inch figures are both Mega. Mega Kong and Mega Godzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:09 pm I still need more confirmation on the armor. Removed from a movie that close to release means more toys should have had it. In late 2020 Godzilla vs Kong was suppose to have been out so how come only one toy had the armor?

Consider the fact that literally any Godzilla figure could've came with the armor without us knowing (for example maybe the weirdly posed supercharged godzilla?) and the fact that Kong didn't really have an equivalent so they might've kept it to that Mega line.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm curious if GvK managed to break even or if it lost money for WB. Unlike Justice League or Suicide Squad WB has done a great job keeping the post-production retooling quiet. Sure we've gotten little tidbits here and there, but unlike Ayer or Snyder, Adam seems pretty satisfied with the way the movie shook out. It's still clear there's a whole different movie out there they don't really want us to find out about.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:16 am I'm curious if GvK managed to break even or if it lost money for WB. Unlike Justice League or Suicide Squad WB has done a great job keeping the post-production retooling quiet. Sure we've gotten little tidbits here and there, but unlike Ayer or Snyder, Adam seems pretty satisfied with the way the movie shook out. It's still clear there's a whole different movie out there they don't really want us to find out about.
This article says GvK is actually one of the few movies released during the pandemic that is actually turning a profit for the studio

https://deadline.com/2021/04/godzilla-v ... 234732050/
Last edited by dillonking55 on Sat May 22, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

dillonking55 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:54 am
This article says GvK is actually one of the few movies released during the pandemic that is actually turning a profit for the studio

https://deadline.com/2021/04/godzilla-v ... 234732050/
That's an interesting read. It's crazy times we're living in that less than 100 million profit is considered such a success, but with all the pandemic factors I guess the real yardstick is interest generated, which does seem much more substantial than any of the Monsterverse titles thusfar. Still, I can't help but feel the 160 mil pricetag on the budget is lowballing it. I'm no executive but I can't imagine that encapsulates the FX reworks, and it is definitely in Warner's best interest to downplay the scramble to rejigger the movie.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:02 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:09 pm I still need more confirmation on the armor. Removed from a movie that close to release means more toys should have had it. In late 2020 Godzilla vs Kong was suppose to have been out so how come only one toy had the armor?

Consider the fact that literally any Godzilla figure could've came with the armor without us knowing (for example maybe the weirdly posed supercharged godzilla?) and the fact that Kong didn't really have an equivalent so they might've kept it to that Mega line.
Exactly. Also consider that the "Mega Punching Kong" toy still has the older axe design (most other toys do not), which seems to have been changed very late, possibly sometime midway through 2020. The "Kong with Battle Axe" Funko Pop has it as well, interestingly.

Mega Mechagodzilla doesn't exist for whatever reason, but it seems it was planned. Was there something else about Mechagodzilla that was removed from the final film?
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I like this scene from the novelization where Admiral Wilcox gives some backstory and he brings up responsibility and that Nathan is untested. That was good, hopefully a deleted scene.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:18 am

The 11 inch figures are giant. The 13 inch figures are both Mega. Mega Kong and Mega Godzilla.
It’s highly unlikely they’d call a weakened Godzilla “Megagodzilla” by any stretch of the imagination. Let’s get real here. That version with the armour was supercharged. No one would want a figure that comes with a weakening main theme and on top of that call it “mega.” It’s just not realistic by any stretch.

If Apex built a Titan that they admitted wasn’t strong enough to defeat Godzilla unless they ALSO built energy-draining armour for Godzilla, that would be ridiculous. “We’ll spend billions of dollars building Mechagodzilla BUT it will all hinge on us also building energy-draining housing that we ALSO have to figure out how to get on Godzilla…”

Sorry, naw.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

plasmabeam wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:54 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:18 am

It’s highly unlikely they’d call a weakened Godzilla “Megagodzilla” by any stretch of the imagination. Let’s get real here. That version with the armour was supercharged. No one would want a figure that comes with a weakening main theme and on top of that call it “mega.” It’s just not realistic by any stretch.

If Apex built a Titan that they admitted wasn’t strong enough to defeat Godzilla unless they ALSO built energy-draining armour for Godzilla, that would be ridiculous. “We’ll spend billions of dollars building Mechagodzilla BUT it will all hinge on us also building energy-draining housing that we ALSO have to figure out how to get on Godzilla…”

Sorry, naw.
Mega is a toy name, Mega Kong and likely would have been a Mega Mechagodzilla.

If the armor was to help Godzilla who would've built it. That's why I think maybe a weakening system.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:51 am
Mega is a toy name, Mega Kong and likely would have been a Mega Mechagodzilla.

If the armor was to help Godzilla who would've built it. That's why I think maybe a weakening system.
I still believe the cage is Mechagodzilla's spines, or came from Mechagodzilla's body, in order to weaken Godzilla or perhaps control him. Think about it, it would explain his skeletal look if he was simply missing parts that were on Godzilla instead, and it'd explain why some of the concept art has two forms for Mechagodzilla, one with armour and one skeletal.