Inevitable Crossover: Pacific Rim

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Inevitable Crossover: Pacific Rim

Post by miguelnuva »

I'd put money down that if a crossover happened Legendary will create another Godzilla for a pacific rim crossover.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I'm down for Pacific Rim monster cameos if the monsterverse introduces aliens someday. But I don't really care about seeing the jaegers.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

As a huge Pacific Rim fan, I think at most we see a crossover should be kaiju like Slattern be in one of the films.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:17 pm I'm down for Pacific Rim monster cameos if the monsterverse introduces aliens someday. But I don't really care about seeing the jaegers.
Lmao, this is literally me. The concept of a large army of disposable and adaptable kaiju intrigues me.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:33 pm I'd put money down that if a crossover happened Legendary will create another Godzilla for a pacific rim crossover.
Now that would be cool I wonder how they would design him to fit in that universe.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I certainly wouldn't call a crossover/merger of the MonsterVerse and Pacific Rim inevitable, but for various reasons it's quite possible.

As has been mentioned, the simple introduction of
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla
into the MonsterVerse makes anything like a jaeger immediately possible. Even if Godzilla vs Kong suffers from big drop-offs and doesn't gross that much overall, the MonsterVerse is still appreciably more successful financially than the two Pacific Rim films were, so lightly rebooting the jaegers and bringing them into the MonsterVerse makes more sense than putting Godzilla or other MonsterVerse monsters in the PR universe.

But personally I don't necessarily want to see this happen. There's little point creatively in doing so when other Toho-originated mechs/cyborgs/giant heroes can be introduced of human or alien creation: Moguera, variations of Mechagodzilla, Mechanikong, Mecha-King Ghidorah, Gigan, Jet Jaguar, Zone Fighter, and more.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

There's the prospect of the universe dying and the ideas eventually being transferred to the MV regardless. I don't know how much longer the PR Universe can sustain itself on its own.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm still thinking it is more likely that a new Godzilla would show up for a Pacific Rim crossover and the MV will be left to its self.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:38 pm I'm still thinking it is more likely that a new Godzilla would show up for a Pacific Rim crossover and the MV will be left to its self.
I wonder if this Godzilla would be a precursor
Kaiju or a separate entity entirely. If they do I'd love if they treat Godzilla like Cthulu for once. An unstoppable an unforgivable force that just wreaks havoc endlessly.

The only way they should stop him is by sending him back to his world or sum shit like that.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I think with the introduction of the Hollow Earth in Godzilla vs. Kong and its similarities to the Breach in Pacific Rim, the concepts seem to redundant to not clash for a crossover. I personally don't think it would be of much worth to the Godzilla or Kong universe to have Pacific Rim be tied in; rather, it would be to the benefit of Pacific Rim to bring in established kaiju like Godzilla into the fold. I think with Godzilla's harsh reaction to the humans building Mechagodzilla to replace him brings down strong hopes of having multiple jaegers patrolling the world and challenging monsters. Godzilla is the king of the monsters for a reason. I am not a big fan of Pacific Rim but I do think it has a good concept that works in it's own universe. I think the Black is the future for that franchise.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Pacific Rim Black is definitely not the future for the franchise. The reception went mostly under the radar outside of the initial fandom and some of the connecting kaiju fandom.

The only way they could bring back the franchise from it's current life support system is to either

A) make a last ditch effort sequel or soft reboot of the franchise which would be a redundant waste of money

B) Crossover with the MV which would boost it's chances canon crossover or not it'd get people talking.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Let's be honest with ourselves here: Pacific Rim as a "franchise" has pretty much always been on life support. The first movie only really got a sequel at all because of exterior factors, ie a growing Chinese theatrical landscape/backing, and strong toy and comic sales. One could also cite the more positive reception (financially) for the soon-to-be-dubbed Monsterverse films from Legendary's own stable. Even after these this, it's sequel failed to generate much interest and flopped hard. An animated netflix series is about where we're at, in truth. It's honestly a miracle we're even getting that. I think a reboot or crossover is highly unlikely unless the Monsterverse continues to succeed and I think it's pretty clear at this point only PR has much to gain from the transaction. The franchise, for whatever reason, is sort of poison at the box office. I love the Pacific Rim franchise, but we need to be realistic. I don't think a return to the big screen is in the cards. =/ Then again...I guess never say never.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Yeah, hit the nail on the head buddy. The fact that PR fans would rather go out sad than have the crossover happen(atleast from what I see on PR forums) is admirable to say the least. They'd rather not sully the MV and likely also see the redundancy in what would likely need to be a complete reboot/revamp of the franchises lore to do so.

At the end of the day I could say the likely hood between 2014-2019 was perfect but at the moment nothing short of a miracle would even warrant this crossover. Or some insane hashtag movement.

göblin
Young Farmer

Post by göblin »

I just can't really see it fitting together, as stated many times before me.
Maybe it could work if both series were rebooted and put together in their own timeline? Not sure.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

göblin wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:24 pm I just can't really see it fitting together, as stated many times before me.
Maybe it could work if both series were rebooted and put together in their own timeline? Not sure.
You really can't see Godzill and Pacific Rim in the same universe? Even after GvK? That movie basically was PR staring Godzilla and Kong.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

I think we're still only at the infancy of Monsterverse, we've hardly scratched the surface really and there's plenty yet to be expanded. The need to add PR into the mix at this point would be kinda contrived and only mess things up. Once we've covered MV's phase 2 and 3 which would have introduced all the main TOHO kaijus and further delved into all the new titans, that's when PR comes in to inject freshness to the Monsterverse.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

ultrazilla wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:50 pm I think we're still only at the infancy of Monsterverse, we've hardly scratched the surface really and there's plenty yet to be expanded. The need to add PR into the mix at this point would be kinda contrived and only mess things up. Once we've covered MV's phase 2 and 3 which would have introduced all the main TOHO kaijus and further delved into all the new titans, that's when PR comes in to inject freshness to the Monsterverse.
That's exactly what I was thinking. By then(unfortunately, I'm a huge fan) PR's franchise should be long forgotten in the public eye. Unless the anime generates a massive fanbase suddenly. I've seen more sudden surprises *cough* GvK's success *cough*.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I do love how pacific rim is begging to tag along to save their dying franchise

Gamera fans are begging us for a revive too lol
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:22 am I do love how pacific rim is begging to tag along to save their dying franchise

Gamera fans are begging us for a revive too lol
Lmao, in all honesty the MV could be great chance for a kaiju renaissance the likes of which we've never seen before.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

After Pac Rim 2 failing as hard as it did, I don't see another movie happening unless it's a straight to Netflix animated movie that's just an expanded episode/spin-off of the new anime.

So no, this crossover is not "inevitable."
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.