The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:21 pm Then why can the Kong just eat whatever?
Kong is a Titan from a different era. Everything about him acts differently from the other Titans.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:47 pm
ernesth100 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:21 pm Then why can the Kong just eat whatever?
Kong is a Titan from a different era. Everything about him acts differently from the other Titans.
But wasn't Kong with Godzilla since the beginning in their war? Kong is eating fish and octopi.......so why does he need to eat actual food while all others absorb radiation from the Earth?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

goji89 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:58 pm
But wasn't Kong with Godzilla since the beginning in their war? Kong is eating fish and octopi.......so why does he need to eat actual food while all others absorb radiation from the Earth?
Because sea food is delicious.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla and the other Titans originated 250 million years ago give or take. Kong's species seems to be younger.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KK42 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:00 pm

Because sea food is delicious.
True, I like me some sushi and seafood especially Ebirah.

Added in 3 minutes 20 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:05 pm

Godzilla and the other Titans originated 250 million years ago give or take. Kong's species seems to be younger.
Ah, o.k thanks for that.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Don't think about it too much. Radiation/HE energy might as well be magic for all the difference it makes.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Smuggers wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:48 pm Don't think about it too much. Radiation/HE energy might as well be magic for all the difference it makes.
It basically IS magic. It's radiation that heals stuff and also has enough energy to light up the entirety of earth's core from a singular point at the very center of the earth.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Here's a thought: what if, going forward, we transition into a MonsterMultiverse? It's clear that the different directors have different, clashing ideas and settings they want to play with, and that has hurt the MV so far. As a cinematic universe, continuity and consistency are supposed to be central, and they really haven't been. A multiverse would allow for flexibility: if a director/writer/whoever decides this stuff wants to set a new film explicitly in the same timeline as the previous MV films, that's doable. If not, he can make whatever tweaks he wants (while sticking with sort of a general MV style) and say it's a separate universe. That will help avoid problems like GvK utterly dropping KOTM's Titan-dominated world.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Erm... I highly doubt it, and that’s being nice.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 am Erm... I highly doubt it, and that’s being nice.
Doubt it would work, or that it would happen? If the former, that's borderline what is already being done, with creators ignoring one another's visions. Making a multiverse would just legitimize it and allow more flexibility.

If the latter, I agree for the moment. However, I strongly suspect that Marvel will do something like this a few years down the road, once the current MCU becomes restrictive or sales dip and they need to mix things up/reboot while still holding on to the power of the MCU name. No reason to think the other cinematic universes won't continue to ape them.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:25 am
Voyager wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:19 am Erm... I highly doubt it, and that’s being nice.
Doubt it would work, or that it would happen? If the former, that's borderline what is already being done, with creators ignoring one another's visions. Making a multiverse would just legitimize it and allow more flexibility.

If the latter, I agree for the moment. However, I strongly suspect that Marvel will do something like this a few years down the road, once the current MCU becomes restrictive or sales dip and they need to mix things up/reboot while still holding on to the power of the MCU name. No reason to think the other cinematic universes won't continue to ape them.

I doubt it would happen, yes.
For Emperor and Empire!

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Zasraniec wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:51 pm So they hinted a Son of Kong thing might be in the future. If that is true I think the odds of Kong getting whacked are high.
I feel like hes always been destined to die. Hes Kong. He's a tragic character
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MogeGoji1994 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:52 am
Zasraniec wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:51 pm So they hinted a Son of Kong thing might be in the future. If that is true I think the odds of Kong getting whacked are high.
Opposite - destiny blows, lets do something fun and different for once in a hundred years. I want a take on Kong that ends with him happily ever after.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:15 am Here's a thought: what if, going forward, we transition into a MonsterMultiverse? It's clear that the different directors have different, clashing ideas and settings they want to play with, and that has hurt the MV so far. As a cinematic universe, continuity and consistency are supposed to be central, and they really haven't been. A multiverse would allow for flexibility: if a director/writer/whoever decides this stuff wants to set a new film explicitly in the same timeline as the previous MV films, that's doable. If not, he can make whatever tweaks he wants (while sticking with sort of a general MV style) and say it's a separate universe. That will help avoid problems like GvK utterly dropping KOTM's Titan-dominated world.
Neat concept but I wouldn’t put it in the monsterverse maybe in a new different Godzilla Universe
shadowgigan wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:53 pm The MV NEEDS Destoroyah...the world needs it.
Totally agree with that, in fact I think he would be a great endgame villain at the end of the monsterverse

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Vakanai wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 pm
Opposite - destiny blows, lets do something fun and different for once in a hundred years. I want a take on Kong that ends with him happily ever after.
We already got that in GvK though...

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Zasraniec wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:51 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:03 pm

We already got that in GvK though...
Not if you follow it up with Kong dying tragically in the next movie we don't. When I say take I don't mean "Well, MV Kong lives through 2 out of his 3 movies..." I mean when the MV is done I want it to be the one shining beacon where Kong never died and they completely got around that one not pony. Happily ever after applies to the sequels too.
Last edited by Vakanai on Fri May 07, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Word to the wind. But I'd rather Kong grow old before he dies. I'd love to see a massive grey and white furred Kong. His hair would be longer and unmanaged like vines. Visible scars and maybe a missing tooth or eye reminescent of 2005.

Perhaps he lost an arm in battle an Monarch gives him the Winter Solider/Cyborg treatment. There's so much more to do with his character now. And although he is fated to die. It doesn't have to be soon.

Kong actually has a better chance of carrying the MV forward than Godzilla. As Godzilla is already ancient and this saga is basically the end of his arc if we're going to be honest. Dudes old.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:50 am Kong actually has a better chance of carrying the MV forward than Godzilla. As Godzilla is already ancient and this saga is basically the end of his arc if we're going to be honest. Dudes old.
I wouldn’t quite say that. Kong and Godzilla are kinda Hon and Yang in that you need them both to carry the MV. Kong’s stories keep him grounded and connected to the human side, while Godzilla’s stories show the grand scale and scope of the Titans and their relationship with the planet.

Both have plenty of room to go forward in the long term, and I’d dare say they’re only scratching the surface with Godzilla’s arc. I will say, I do think Kong is probably a safer character to rely on since Legendary doesn’t have to worry about paying for him, so that’s understandable at least.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I really hope Kong doesn't die in a future movie, Kong's died in almost every adaptation of his story, it would be a far more unique thing to have Kong live and continue in his life. If they kill off Kong for his son we'd lose so much character, Kong's gone through the death of his parents and the Iwi ontop of losing Skull-Island, he's fought off Skull-Crawlers, fought Godzilla and killed MechaGodzilla. We wouldn't have any of that with his son and considering how it took Kong decades to reach 100 Meters they would have to invent a reason for his son to grow so large so quickly

Also I don't see Godzilla's age being anywhere near a problem, most Godzilla incarnations have been ancient or had an unspecified age. 54 and Showa were ancient remnants, Godzillasaurus could have been ancient, and any of the Milleniums were also old

MV Godzilla has just been more active than them in the past

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu