The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by Gigantis »

dillonking55 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:13 pm Also, we have a separate article from Variety that says Legendary retains the license as long as they keep making films.

https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/japa ... 92294/amp/
I'm not too sure how reliable Variety is, but if this is right, then the only thing stopping Legendary from making movie is.. just them saying no lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Between what we has seen in the news and what I have heard from talking to my friend in the movie industry I'd put money on Legendary still has the rights. Toho is happy with the Monsterverse according to Toho themselves and I was told internally Legendary has a few plots left for Godzilla and Kong.

This is speculation on my part from conversations with someone who doesn't work for Legendary directly but has connections. We are likely to get one more Godzilla film, Kong for sure and one more crossover at the minimum. If the next Kong and or Godzilla have big returns we may see more.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gojira95
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira95 »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:28 pm Between what we has seen in the news and what I have heard from talking to my friend in the movie industry I'd put money on Legendary still has the rights. Toho is happy with the Monsterverse according to Toho themselves and I was told internally Legendary has a few plots left for Godzilla and Kong.

This is speculation on my part from conversations with someone who doesn't work for Legendary directly but has connections. We are likely to get one more Godzilla film, Kong for sure and one more crossover at the minimum. If the next Kong and or Godzilla have big returns we may see more.
Well if what you say becomes true, I hope that "one more crossover" is a Destroy All Monsters finale.
Last edited by Gojira95 on Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gojira95 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:13 am
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:28 pm Between what we has seen in the news and what I have heard from talking to my friend in the movie industry I'd put money on Legendary still has the rights. Toho is happy with the Monsterverse according to Toho themselves and I was told internally Legendary has a few plots left for Godzilla and Kong.

Well if what you say becomes true, I hope that "one more crossover" is a Destroy All Monsters finale.
That seems like the best for a finale. Godzilla and Kong teaming us seems more like Age of Ultron than Infinity War.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Rumors have been flying around that the next Kong film in the Monsterverse will be a modernized Son Of Kong.

https://movieweb.com/son-of-kong-godzil ... ng-sequel/

I know it's cool information, but we should still take it with a grain of salt. Do you think it has potential?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:03 pm Rumors have been flying around that the next Kong film in the Monsterverse will be a modernized Son Of Kong.

I know it's cool information, but we should still take it with a grain of salt. Do you think it has potential?
It's the next logical step for Kong. We know he's lonely and looking for a family, and GvK gave him zero resolution on that front. It only made things worse, really. At least on the surface he had Jia. Now they've just thrown him in a big hole containing his family's empty house and a bunch of things that want to kill him. That would be a pretty crappy finale to his story, you know? The poor guy deserves some kind of reward for being a good king all these years.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira95
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira95 »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:39 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:03 pm Rumors have been flying around that the next Kong film in the Monsterverse will be a modernized Son Of Kong.

It's the next logical step for Kong. We know he's lonely and looking for a family, and GvK gave him zero resolution on that front. It only made things worse, really. At least on the surface he had Jia. Now they've just thrown him in a big hole containing his family's empty house and a bunch of things that want to kill him. That would be a pretty crappy finale to his story, you know? The poor guy deserves some kind of reward for being a good king all these years.
Aren't Jia, Nathan and Ilene with him down there monitoring him just like at the beginning of the film on Skull Island? I don't think he's alone down there.
Last edited by Gojira95 on Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Yep, in my mind that's the logical way to move forward and should be our minimum expectation: one more Godzilla, one more Kong, and one more crossover. Anything beyond that is expecting too much and looking too far ahead. The only other things outside that I can see them doing are, a la the Skull Island animated series, some sort of other animated tie-in and maybe MAYBE a relative low budget Skullcrawler movie.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Who knows? Maybe someday we'll finally get that Destroy All Monsters-type sequel we keep hearing about.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:56 pm Who knows? Maybe someday we'll finally get that Destroy All Monsters-type sequel we keep hearing about.
I kinda thought that was KOTM, lol.

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:33 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:56 pm Who knows? Maybe someday we'll finally get that Destroy All Monsters-type sequel we keep hearing about.
2 against 2 plus a few cameos? KoTM is more like Godzilla Vs Gigan than DAM if you ask me.
Last edited by ElijahSky on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

ElijahSky wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:56 am
VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:33 pm
2 against 2 plus a few cameos? KoTM is more like Godzilla Vs Gigan than DAM if you ask me.
I was thinking of a modern-day DAM story, with the Titans all kept in one place, then being controlled by some outside force and sent out to destroy humanity, then being freed from said control and battling a common enemy.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I personally would love for a Legendary-HBOMax series regarding titans histories in the ancient past, each episode focusing on certain titans and their impact they had on myths and legends across the world.

Just make the episodes 30-45 minutes and animated like Marvel's What-If...?

Imagine episodes done on Behemoth (It's implied he was a slave titan by ancient humans, always had this headcanon he was also the guardian of El Dorado and source legend of the mapinguari, the lost golden city in the Amazon, that'd make for an awesome episode), Leviathan, Mokele-Mbembe, Quetzalcoatl, Sekhmet, Yamata-no-Orochi, etc.

Would like one on Bunyip as well but probably wouldn't be a good idea given how sensitive and for good reason the Australian Aboriginals are of their legends and beliefs (Especially being Bunyip was dormant inside Uluru which is very sacred and important to the Aboriginals).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Any news on the Kong skull Island animated series?

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

a tv show i guess

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:33 pm a tv show i guess
Cool, wander what the show have store for us.

Added in 2 minutes 34 seconds:
Not the greatest with English even though it’s my first language.
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm a bit confused about something:

-There's going to be a Kong Show, but it'll be animated and on Netflix.
-There's going to be a live action show, with Godzilla, but it'll be on Apple TV.

Any reason for the split and/or division?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Not sure. Maybe it’s just more bang for the buck to split them like that.

Personally through I am very excited. The people behind the Kong anime are great. The new G series sounds intriguing. I’d love to see a series more in the serious mode of G 2014….I hope that’s what we get. A true G 2014 sequel for once.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am I'm a bit confused about something:

-There's going to be a Kong Show, but it'll be animated.
-There's going to be a live action show, with Godzilla, but it'll be on Apple TV.

Godzilla was supposed to have had an anime in the works but Singular point could have changed things.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:52 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am I'm a bit confused about something:

-There's going to be a Kong Show, but it'll be animated.

Godzilla was supposed to have had an anime in the works but Singular point could have changed things.
Forgive my salt, but MAN having a dope animated Godzilla series akin to GTS would have been dope. We were robbed.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.