The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:54 am
Gigantis wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:47 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:51 am

I cant imagine Toho being cool with the idea of Gamera EVER beating Godzilla.
Who said Gamera had to win? GMK already proved Toho is okay with the good guys dying.. Or they could just have it end in a draw. That's what usually happens in crossovers anyway.
Don't compare the idea of Godzilla going up against Gamera with what happened in GMK. The situations are totally different. There's a world of difference between Godzilla being beaten by other Toho monsters and Godzilla being beaten by Gamera.
Both studios might be willing to settle for a tie. But I'm doubting Toho would instantly agree to it. At best, Godzilla wins their initial bout and then the final is a tie, so Gamera gets no actual victory.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:01 am
Gigantis wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:47 am

Who said Gamera had to win? GMK already proved Toho is okay with the good guys dying.. Or they could just have it end in a draw. That's what usually happens in crossovers anyway.
Don't compare the idea of Godzilla going up against Gamera with what happened in GMK. The situations are totally different. There's a world of difference between Godzilla being beaten by other Toho monsters and Godzilla being beaten by Gamera.
Both studios might be willing to settle for a tie. But I'm doubting Toho would instantly agree to it. At best, Godzilla wins their initial bout and then the final is a tie, so Gamera gets no actual victory.
Or they just copy Godzilla vs Kong and they end up dealing with a common enemy. But at this point that's a tired cliche.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:40 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:01 am

Or they just copy Godzilla vs Kong and they end up dealing with a common enemy. But at this point that's a tired cliche.
Three-headed Gyaos Ghidorah hybrid confirmed

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla vs Gamera would have to end in a team up or if it's the MV Godzilla wins, leaves Gamera. Gamera is attacked by a stronger enemy and Godzilla returns to save Gamera.

If Japan had it I say both get swoalled up by a Volcano.

Added in 2 minutes 52 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:55 am
Red-Death Gigan wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:35 am Godzilla needs a redemption arc. GvK villainized Godzilla, making a complete 180 degree turn from KotM, and made me want KONG to win!
Your comment illustrates the problem with a modern Godzilla/Kong match-up. The characters in 2021 aren't the same as they were in 1962. Back then, Godzilla was the bad guy. You were supposed to root for Kong. But in 2021 who exactly are you supposed to root for? Same issue I have with the idea of Godzilla meeting Gamera or Ultraman.
The comment illustrates that Godzilla's was viewed from one lense in the Monsterverse and needs to be looked at again. I'm sure Legion you would bring up MV Godzilla is not a hero, he is a force of nature that brings balance.

Godzilla will do the right thing for the Earth but not necessarily the right thing for humans. Humans have simply been on his side in these films for the most part..

He's close but he's still not he 70's Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But let's be real here. The general audience doesn't go into these movies familiar with the nuances of the monsters or the stories. No, general audiences go into the MV - and all Godzilla movies - prepared to cheer Godzilla on as he kicks other monsters' asses. Whether he's treated in the films as a hero or not, Godzilla beating the shit out of other creatures is the reason people go to these things.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:45 am But let's be real here. The general audience doesn't go into these movies familiar with the nuances of the monsters or the stories. No, general audiences go into the MV - and all Godzilla movies - prepared to cheer Godzilla on as he kicks other monsters' asses. Whether he's treated in the films as a hero or not, Godzilla beating the poop out of other creatures is the reason people go to these things.
Agreed, I don't think anyone outside of people like us go see Godzilla movies and don't think Godzilla is going to come a beat up the bad monster and knock over buildings in the process.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Deleted
[Sorry I just got mad with what Red Gigan said]
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

What if Disney announcing their own Kong series is just bait to try to reel Legendary in? Legendary has been looking for a new owner, and Disney is known for buying others.
Hopefully more Pacific Rim content would be made in this case. And of course, more Monsterverse content!

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Anguirus wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:30 pm What if Disney announcing their own Kong series is just bait to try to reel Legendary in? Legendary has been looking for a new owner, and Disney is known for buying others.
Hopefully more Pacific Rim content would be made in this case. And of course, more Monsterverse content!
I highly doubt Disney at this point would be allowed to buy Legendary. It was difficult enough for them to buy Fox, Legendary is probably out of the question at this point.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gojira2K wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:45 pm
Anguirus wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:30 pm What if Disney announcing their own Kong series is just bait to try to reel Legendary in? Legendary has been looking for a new owner, and Disney is known for buying others.
I highly doubt Disney at this point would be allowed to buy Legendary. It was difficult enough for them to buy Fox, Legendary is probably out of the question at this point.
Legendary is a small company, they could buy it if they wanted to and Legendary was up for sale.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legendary is small potatoes compared to Disney. I doubt they’d ever consider an acquisition and if they did, they’re so small I really can’t see it being challenged legally.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

What does Legendary have that Disney would even want?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:48 pm What does Legendary have that Disney would even want?
Everything. If they had the opportunity to have a monopoly over all copyrighted material, they’d take it in a heartbeat.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:50 pm Everything.
If by that you mean the rights to Pacific Rim, which doesn't seem to be THAT profitable anyway.. Yeah, that's pretty much everything they'd want from Legendary. They wouldn't be able to get the rights to Godzilla from them, and LP doesn't own any big name studio. What's their to really take beyond a franchise that at this point is basically on deaths door?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:50 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:48 pm What does Legendary have that Disney would even want?
Everything. If they had the opportunity to have a monopoly over all copyrighted material, they’d take it in a heartbeat.
That's not what a monopoly is.

Quote of the Year:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Honestly, Disney getting a hold of Pacific Rim wouldn't be a bad thing. Even if they softened it up and formulized it, they would at least get a lot of mileage out of it. They can mass market like nobody else, and they'd make it a popular household name. That seems preferable to the nothing that Legendary is doing with it, you know?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

“Even if they softened it up”

Right, which is exactly why Disney needs to stay the fuck away from Godzilla and Pacific Rim. They already got their hands on King Kong

I’d rather get no content than Disneyfied Godzilla. If you hate King of the Monsters, just wait until you see what Disney would do to Godzilla.

King of the Monsters prides itself on being a simply badass film that lets Godzilla just be a badass force of nature. The movie does not pander, it doesn’t beat you over the head with woke messaging, it is just a kaiju film that does it’s job and treats Godzilla with the respect he deserves. The fact that some of you somehow think Disney getting their hands on Godzilla is a good thing are clowning
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dune and Pokémon. Godzilla by the time Feige gets to Phase 54.

Added in 55 seconds:
Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:10 am “Even if they softened it up”

Right, which is exactly why Disney needs to stay the skreeonk away from Godzilla and Pacific Rim. They already got their hands on King Kong

I’d rather get no content than Disneyfied Godzilla. If you hate King of the Monsters, just wait until you see what Disney would do to Godzilla.

King of the Monsters prides itself on being a simply badass film that lets Godzilla just be a badass force of nature. The movie does not pander, it doesn’t beat you over the head with woke messaging, it is just a kaiju film that does it’s job and treats Godzilla with the respect he deserves. The fact that some of you somehow think Disney getting their hands on Godzilla is a good thing are clowning
You just had to slide woke in there.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:10 am “Even if they softened it up”

Right, which is exactly why Disney needs to stay the skreeonk away from Godzilla and Pacific Rim. They already got their hands on King Kong

The pure salt and absolute hatred flowing from this post is abso-damn-lutely intoxicating.

MCU Godzilla FTW.

Quote of the Year:

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If anything Disney would become the new distributor of Legendarys Monsterverse. Disney isn’t going to buy Legendary. Even if they did they would have to make a new deal with Toho I’m sure.

Disney making a King Kong show is pretty interesting but has no affect of the Monsterverse stuff.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer