The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

One big difference between now and the post-Final Wars lull is that besides Always 2, there was zero Godzilla anything. These days, SP season 2 is in the pipeline, plus they're cooking up fun designs for rides here and there, and there's that mystery Toho movie in the works. And of course, the last Toho-produced Godzilla picture was a smashing success.
On the Monsterverse side though, I got a feeling Godzilla might be done there. Toho has successfully seen the franchise resurrected from the Millennium slump, and Legendary has used all the characters in their rights package. Realistically, they got what they needed from the Legendary deal.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think the fact that they're using original monsters, some as main antagonists, (like the MUTOS), others as smaller threats (like the warbats), and a few as lore-expanders (like the titans in KOTM) in this series, is plenty to sum up that they're using this universe to expand their creative license.

If they were only using licensed kaiju I'd maybe agree, but the licensed kaiju in the MV have only been used as accents on a beautiful project. They still haven't given us flashbacks to the Titan War, nor have they given us the modern Titan War in a Destroy all Monsters World-Ending scenario.

Think of it like The Rumbling from Attack on Titan, or The Third Impact from Evangelion, or even The Fourth Ninja War from Naruto. These are events that have occurred in the past, and due to the folly of man, will happen once more if things do not change.

That's why I don't think the MV will end yet. There's too much storytelling to tell in the Hollow Earth, and the perfect ribbon has not been tied yet.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla and the Orca were teased in Call of Duty today.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:40 pm Godzilla and the Orca were teased in Call of Duty today.
I just saw the trailer and I really wonder how they’re going to implement this event, might actually make me install the game.

Added in 5 minutes 35 seconds:
COD & Godzilla teaser
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:51 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:40 pm Godzilla and the Orca were teased in Call of Duty today.
I just saw the trailer and I really wonder how they’re going to implement this event, might actually make me install the game.

COD & Godzilla teaser
Thanks for the video.

Warzone is free btw, ps4, ps5 Xbox one, series S and series X.

Kong may be coming as well.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:03 am One big difference between now and the post-Final Wars lull is that besides Always 2, there was zero Godzilla anything. These days, SP season 2 is in the pipeline, plus they're cooking up fun designs for rides here and there, and there's that mystery Toho movie in the works. And of course, the last Toho-produced Godzilla picture was a smashing success.
On the Monsterverse side though, I got a feeling Godzilla might be done there. Toho has successfully seen the franchise resurrected from the Millennium slump, and Legendary has used all the characters in their rights package. Realistically, they got what they needed from the Legendary deal.
I hope you are right. This way of looking at it makes me excited for the future!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:05 pm
Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:51 pm

COD & Godzilla teaser
Thanks for the video.

Warzone is free btw, ps4, ps5 Xbox one, series S and series X.

Kong may be coming as well.
Your welcome bro, This will be a great event to experience but also I would like to see you can kill some smaller creatures from the Monsterverse, like how PUBG did will Skullcrawlers and Arachno-claw

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:03 am One big difference between now and the post-Final Wars lull is that besides Always 2, there was zero Godzilla anything. These days, SP season 2 is in the pipeline, plus they're cooking up fun designs for rides here and there, and there's that mystery Toho movie in the works. And of course, the last Toho-produced Godzilla picture was a smashing success.
And even during the post-final wars lull, we got the start of the IDW comics so it wasn't completely devoid of Godzilla content.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

They literally have a MonsterVerse Godzilla show in active production at Apple TV & rumors of another Godzilla movie (separate from the Kong film) from Legendary in the early development stage(s).

So no, Toho isn't done with the MonsterVerse Godzilla. It's the world wide representation of the character. He's not going away anytime soon
Last edited by dillonking55 on Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

dillonking55 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:20 am They literally have a MonsterVerse Godzilla show in active production at Apple TV & rumors of another Godzilla movie (separate from the Kong film) from Legendary in the early development stage(s).

So no, Toho isn't done with the MonsterVerse Godzilla. It's the world wide representation of the character. He's not going away anytime soon
I totally forgot about the apple+ show haha. Just because it's in production doesn't mean it's actually going to come out though.
I wouldn't hang your hat on rumors either. I personally haven't seen or heard any substantial rumours about a new Godzilla-centric Monsterverse movie.

On a side note, IIRC, the deal with Legendary prevented Toho from making any new theatrical Godzilla outings until like 2021 (or after the release of GvK, something like that) save one, which was of course Shin Godzilla. I always wondered why that was part of the deal, and I wonder if they worked out a new one, if it would have a similar caveat.
I also wonder if the apple+ show, being a TV/streaming thing, was part of the initial deal between Legendary and Toho. If this new mystery Toho kaiju film is Godzilla, I'm curious if they're gonna judge the success of that before thye strike a new license deal with Legendary, or if they're already working on one.
It's interesting contrasting the climate of the fandom now vs back in the draught years before 2014. Now there's plenty of content to enjoy, but the lack of any substantial news after GvK's release is kinda irritating.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:27 am
dillonking55 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:20 am They literally have a MonsterVerse Godzilla show in active production at Apple TV & rumors of another Godzilla movie (separate from the Kong film) from Legendary in the early development stage(s).

I totally forgot about the apple+ show haha. Just because it's in production doesn't mean it's actually going to come out though.
I wouldn't hang your hat on rumors either. I personally haven't seen or heard any substantial rumours about a new Godzilla-centric Monsterverse movie.

On a side note, IIRC, the deal with Legendary prevented Toho from making any new theatrical Godzilla outings until like 2021 (or after the release of GvK, something like that) save one, which was of course Shin Godzilla. I always wondered why that was part of the deal, and I wonder if they worked out a new one, if it would have a similar caveat.
I also wonder if the apple+ show, being a TV/streaming thing, was part of the initial deal between Legendary and Toho. If this new mystery Toho kaiju film is Godzilla, I'm curious if they're gonna judge the success of that before thye strike a new license deal with Legendary, or if they're already working on one.
It's interesting contrasting the climate of the fandom now vs back in the draught years before 2014. Now there's plenty of content to enjoy, but the lack of any substantial news after GvK's release is kinda irritating.
I'd imagine that they have since updated the deal that's beneficial to everyone.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Now that the next Monsterverse film seems on track to actually happen, I now fully believe that their big Endgame level event should be to have all the Titans face off against Jormungandr. Might as well go all out.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Garzon wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:46 pm Now that the next Monsterverse film seems on track to actually happen, I now fully believe that their big Endgame level event should be to have all the Titans face off against Jormungandr. Might as well go all out.
I really hate this idea….this world serpent thing is the new Bagan of the fandom.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:48 pm
Garzon wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:46 pm Now that the next Monsterverse film seems on track to actually happen, I now fully believe that their big Endgame level event should be to have all the Titans face off against Jormungandr. Might as well go all out.
I really hate this idea….this world serpent thing is the new Bagan of the fandom.
The idea’s silly, but what else is there to do? They’ve already used up all the big Toho kaiju. I know some people might want to see them tackle Destroyah, but would that be worth the licensing fee that Toho would inevitably charge them?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Garzon wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:58 pm
The idea’s silly, but what else is there to do? They’ve already used up all the big Toho kaiju. I know some people might want to see them tackle Destroyah, but would that be worth the licensing fee that Toho would inevitably charge them?
1. Yes it will be worth the charged

2. If not, How about Kaiser Ghidorah?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The Godzilla vs King novel and art book is hinting to some kind of Super Godzilla Titan.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Why not Cronus/Cronos?

In reference to being the leader of the titans in Greek Mythology whom giant monsters in the MonsterVerse are called.
miguelnuva wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:21 pm The Godzilla vs King novel and art book is hinting to some kind of Super Godzilla Titan.
Do all future movies take from things in novelizations that weren't in films?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu May 12, 2022 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

How is Jormungandr like Bagan?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Interesting how the continuation of the MV will be a GvK 2 instead of the rumored Son of Kong or a Godzilla 3.

Despite having “versus” in the title, I doubt that we’ll be getting a rematch. I feel it’ll be more of the team up we saw in the MG fight but for ~2 hours.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:24 pm Interesting how the continuation of the MV will be a GvK 2 instead of the rumored Son of Kong or a Godzilla 3.

Despite having “versus” in the title, I doubt that we’ll be getting a rematch. I feel it’ll be more of the team up we saw in the MG fight but for ~2 hours.
Godzilla vs kong sequel is a unofficial title.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image