The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The Future Of The MonsterVerse?

Post by miguelnuva »

obZen wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:45 pm It’s gotta happen at the end of phase 2; beginning of phase 3.

Added in 2 minutes 47 seconds:
Also, until there is a ‘MonsterVerse BC’ Godzilla reproduction should be left a mystery.
It's not a mystery, he sexually reproduces as he is a species. Mothra is shown to asexually reproduce and the Muto and Kong sexually reproduce.

His reproduction could be changed later but its no mystery.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

It is yet to be established how Godzilla reproduces in the MonsterVerse — it should be kept that way for the time being.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:42 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:55 pm I know I may have brought this up before, but would you think it would be interesting if let's say Gwangi or the Rhedosaurus made it into the Monsterverse? It should be easy, since their original movies were done by Warner Bros. Mind if I give my spin on a theoretical Gwangi film?
Throw it out their bro. We're all back in the speculation phase anyway. Gwangi and Rhedosaurus are arguably forgotten by the higher ups at Warner. We'd have to hope Legendary sees the value in adding more original kaiju to their MV roster.
My idea for a Gwangi film is that it takes place in 1948 and the story revolves around the very first mission of the newly-established Monarch. An expedition is sent to an uncharted valley along the US/Mexico border and the main human lead is a cowboy struggling to keep his way of life in an ever-changing world. He gets hired by the organization due to his experience in World War II. There will also be a subplot of Native Americans who also join the expedition as a means to help navigate through the valley, but are critical of the US government for performing nuclear tests on their ancestral lands. This puts them at odds with the rest of the cast.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

obZen wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:32 pm It is yet to be established how Godzilla reproduces in the MonsterVerse — it should be kept that way for the time being.
What animal do you know that there is more than one walking around that doesn't reproduce sexually or asexually. The several of the previous Godzillas reproduce sexually, the Titans here other than Mothra seem to do as well and they make two sex jokes in KOTM. Godzilla reproduces with the evidence leading to sexually more so than asexually. Unless it is later revealed he is a man made creation and said people produced several of him.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:05 pm
My idea for a Gwangi film is that it takes place in 1948 and the story revolves around the very first mission of the newly-established Monarch. An expedition is sent to an uncharted valley along the US/Mexico border and the main human lead is a cowboy struggling to keep his way of life in an ever-changing world. He gets hired by the organization due to his experience in World War II. There will also be a subplot of Native Americans who also join the expedition as a means to help navigate through the valley, but are critical of the US government for performing nuclear tests on their ancestral lands. This puts them at odds with the rest of the cast.
I can dig this concept. It feels fresh yet familiar to the MV. I'd argue it tones back to G2014 and would allow the MV to come full circle if they took such a route. The lead idea is interesting to as it gives us an interesting new life to follow. Kudos.
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:14 pm Unless it is later revealed he is a man made creation and said people produced several of him.
Well he technically was a manmade creation originally. Lol. Would be far-fetched to assume that early humans who harnesses the HE energy injected lesser creatures(think Doug) with the energy and caused a sort of superspecies to emerge.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:55 pm I know I may have brought this up before, but would you think it would be interesting if let's say Gwangi or the Rhedosaurus made it into the Monsterverse? It should be easy, since their original movies were done by Warner Bros. Mind if I give my spin on a theoretical Gwangi film?
I don't care if it's a MV film or not, I'm definitely on board with a new Gwangi film. Cowboys vs dinosaurs is a concept that never gets old.

I don't know how you'd do Rhedosaurus and and not make him seem redundant in the MV. I feel he works best starting out in a world without everyone knowing all about kaiju.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:14 pm
obZen wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:32 pm It is yet to be established how Godzilla reproduces in the MonsterVerse — it should be kept that way for the time being.
What animal do you know that there is more than one walking around that doesn't reproduce sexually or asexually. The several of the previous Godzillas reproduce sexually, the Titans here other than Mothra seem to do as well and they make two sex jokes in KOTM. Godzilla reproduces with the evidence leading to sexually more so than asexually. Unless it is later revealed he is a man made creation and said people produced several of him.
I don’t believe (this) Godzilla reproduces asexually. Godzilla is *King* of the Monsters — he’s a bro-man-dude.

The hypothetical egg however, that should be left a mystery (to the audience) as to *how* it came about — despite it being a Godzilla egg.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Lmao if Godzilla starts laying eggs, then I will have lost this franchise
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

If we get a Son of Kong or Godzilla I'm fine with that. As long as we don't get the weird flirting ape scenes from King Kong Lives or get the goofy baby Godzillas from the past.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I just hope Godzilla stays in the MV in the first place.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LockBite wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:02 pm I just hope Godzilla stays in the MV in the first place.
Seconded, but I don't think we have to worry. Toho allegedly has been happy with the deal to date, GvK being a success mid-pandemic has been big news, and I can't imagine Legendary is going to look at that and decide they need to ditch Godzilla now. I think we'll be hearing more of their future plans with Godzilla sooner rather than later. Just as long as Toho can make more live action movies as well while the MV Godzilla films are going, I don't see there being any problems going forward in the MV keeping Godzilla.

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

GvK is postponed in Japan due to Covid-19 resurgence. But hey as long as the movie’s making bank, and the movie theater industry is saved. ;)

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

NBG2 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:36 am GvK is postponed in Japan due to Covid-19 resurgence. But hey as long as the movie’s making bank, and the movie theater industry is saved. ;)
Precisely :)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:45 pm
LockBite wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:02 pm I just hope Godzilla stays in the MV in the first place.
Seconded, but I don't think we have to worry. Toho allegedly has been happy with the deal to date, GvK being a success mid-pandemic has been big news, and I can't imagine Legendary is going to look at that and decide they need to ditch Godzilla now. I think we'll be hearing more of their future plans with Godzilla sooner rather than later. Just as long as Toho can make more live action movies as well while the MV Godzilla films are going, I don't see there being any problems going forward in the MV keeping Godzilla.
Toho has nothing to loose and everything to gain by letting Legendary continue to use Godzilla. Let another studio assume all the finical risk of another Godzilla production and simply sit back and rake in the cash? Why wouldn't they do that they would be crazy not to.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:04 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:45 pm
Toho has nothing to loose and everything to gain by letting Legendary continue to use Godzilla. Let another studio assume all the finical risk of another Godzilla production and simply sit back and rake in the cash? Why wouldn't they do that they would be crazy not to.
Because they made a ton of money domestically with Shin. Godzilla's hot in Japan right now, so Toho probably wants to make their own movies, but their deal with Legendary has kept them from striking while the iron's hot. But if the next deal can have them making their own movies again while the MV is going, that'd just be gravy for them.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I actually did not really enjoy the monsterverse so I hope they decide to take a different direction in the future. It just feels like they are trying to copy the success and style of the marvel movies. I remember reading an article with Wingard saying something about treating the monsters as human characters in terms of development and that is the perfect starting point. It hasn't really been done before but it is unique and could set up some very interesting ideas in the future. While I found GvK to be very lackluster it did do a good job in giving Godzilla a personality. Which shows that developing a kaiju as a character is not limited to just Kong and other monsters in the monsterverse are more than capable of being developed and having a personality.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I do hope that future Godzilla movies in the Monsterverse will be able to give more sides to Godzilla other then rage war mode. As awesome as it is seeing him in those modes it would help if we get to explore more on what kind of titan he is whatever Legendary decides to take the Son of Godzilla route or not. some of the MV media like the comics do show that he has a lot more going to him then he appears and that it's implied that he's different even from other Titans. It's why I think it'd be a good time to introduce Miki Saegusa into the Monsterverse to have that shown to movie goers. Not only is she among the most well known and popular characters in the franchise but she can also use her psychic powers to go deep into Godzilla's mind to try to understand him more and perhaps talk to him mentally especially if Godzilla 3 is about the fall of his actions in Godzilla vs Kong which leaves a lot of people no longer trusting Godzilla to be their saviour with Monarch trying to bring him back to a good light.

I know it may sound like it'd be retreading Kong's arc from GvK but all the same in the right hands it can do a lot to show casual movie goers that there's a lot more going on with Godzilla's character then he shows and how he's different from Titans even ones like Kong.
Last edited by kaijuguy19 on Sat May 01, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I'd like to see Godzilla's diet outside of radiation. Does he eat fish too? Whales maybe? A couple of cows if he's feeling picky?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:13 pm I'd like to see Godzilla's diet outside of radiation. Does he eat fish too? Whales maybe? A couple of cows if he's feeling picky?
Dominion implies the Titans just need radiation as Scylla was trying to eat a nuke.

14 and aftershock back this up.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sun May 02, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Then why can the Kong just eat whatever?