Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Post by Executive Hamster »

Looking at it from that perspective actually makes me like it even more, even if I never disliked it obviously

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The vibe I get is more this -

Return of Godzilla - Godzilla 2014
Godzilla vs Biollante - Godzilla KOTM
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah - Godzilla vs Kong

With Showa era monsters.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

The only thing I would change about Godzilla KOTM is the release date.

Between WB dicking around with delays and Disney dominating 2019, we are lucky to get what we got.

I loved Godzilla vs. Kong!

Saw with friends on HBO Max and I plan to see it again at the theaters tomorrow. I still have more credit on Fandango so I might see it again in theaters.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it! I rank the MV as the following:

1. Godzilla 2014
2. Godzilla vs Kong
3. KOTM
4. Skull Island
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:44 pm The vibe I get is more this -

Return of Godzilla - Godzilla 2014
Godzilla vs Biollante - Godzilla KOTM
Godzilla vs King Ghidorah - Godzilla vs Kong

With Showa era monsters.
More pontificating - If Godzilla (2014) is tonally comparable to the original duo (1954-1955), and KOTM to the Golden Age (1962-1968), then GVK is definitely the Champion Series (1969-1975) at full blast.

Do they stick to this more fantastical/outlandish approach or does history repeat/rhyme with a swing back to the somber/seriousness of Return of Godzilla/Biollante?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

A certain enemy gives me serious Shin Godzilla vibes. I'm sure you'll all understand what I mean.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

ernesth100 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:26 pm A certain enemy gives me serious Shin Godzilla vibes. I'm sure you'll all understand what I mean.
I thought the same thing when watching the movie, they definitely took some cues from ShinGoji for that character.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

So some people are going around saying that Kong is a bigger draw in America than Godzilla I just hate how people have belitte Godzilla just to put Kong over and vice versa can't they just be both great. Small rant over.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Well I watched it on Wednesday Night on HBO Max. I thoroughly enjoyed it, though I understand it was more of a "Kong" story, a little more Godzilla would have been nice. I definitely hope to watch it several more times before my one month expires, and will definitely get it on BRD as soon as it is available.

Still, as amazing as it is, I think I actually like KotM better. I know that is probably not going to be a popular opinion, and again GvK is great, I just like the film that came out in 2019 more. I guess it's kind of like how I like GTTHM more than KKvG. KKvG is a very fun film to watch, but GTTHM is more to my liking.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:32 am So some people are going around saying that Kong is a bigger draw in America than Godzilla I just hate how people have belitte Godzilla just to put Kong over and vice versa can't they just be both great. Small rant over.
I think Kong may have more general audience/normy type of appeal than Godzilla. Plus Kong's movies seem to attract more stars than Godzilla films. Compare King Kong 2005 and KSI to G14 and KOTM. Its not even close in terms of star power. Plus Kong is an American monster. So its debatable but I still think Godzilla is more popular overall, in particular amongst fan bases. There are far more Godzilla fans and fan groups. And probably way more in toy sales and such.
SpaceG92 wrote:

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Godzilla21 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:56 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:32 am So some people are going around saying that Kong is a bigger draw in America than Godzilla I just hate how people have belitte Godzilla just to put Kong over and vice versa can't they just be both great. Small rant over.
I think Kong may have more general audience/normy type of appeal than Godzilla. Plus Kong's movies seem to attract more stars than Godzilla films. Compare King Kong 2005 and KSI to G14 and KOTM. Its not even close in terms of star power. Plus Kong is an American monster. So its debatable but I still think Godzilla is more popular overall, in particular amongst fan bases. There are far more Godzilla fans and fan groups. And probably way more in toy sales and such.
Yeah but my thing is why do they have to belittle him at all. This came up on the John Campea show and it honestly frustrated me. Maybe I'm just too sensitive

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:37 pm
Yeah but my thing is why do they have to belittle him at all. This came up on the John Campea show and it honestly frustrated me. Maybe I'm just too sensitive
Ya don't let it bother you. Its just noise. We all know Godzilla is the superior monster.
SpaceG92 wrote:

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Godzilla21 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:44 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:37 pm

Ya don't let it bother you. Its just noise. We all know Godzilla is the superior monster.
True I love them both.lol

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

Not sure where else to put this but Amhuluk has been revealed!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNLJeg6h9mW ... w4ejn7rrv5

Stinger tongue... stretchy limbs... freaky as all heck

And I never want to see that thing staring at me from any distance..

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

LindenHS wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm Not sure where else to put this but Amhuluk has been revealed!

Very interesting. As of now, I have no idea of what animal it’s inspired by. Maybe some sort of worm thing — I’ve got no clue haha. Reminds me a bit of HR Giger. Looks like behemoth has 1 tusk now

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

Monke wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:34 pm
LindenHS wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm Not sure where else to put this but Amhuluk has been revealed!

Very interesting. As of now, I have no idea of what animal it’s inspired by. Maybe some sort of worm thing — I’ve got no clue haha. Reminds me a bit of HR Giger. Looks like behemoth has 1 tusk now
Honestly I see mammal... and it ends where deep sea fish and old decaying vine looking aspects begin.., the face is what I see as mammal just barely.
Thing is MASSIVE! And apparently from what some summaries say kicks Behemoth’s rear so bad Godzilla steps in to make it a fair fight.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Nothing to do with belittling it's just people admitting KSI and KVG delivered, especially for general audiences, in ways G14 and KOTM didn't. Way I see it G14 was too little and KOTM too much too late.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

tbeasley wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:34 pm
Nothing to do with belittling it's just people admitting KSI and KVG delivered, especially for general audiences, in ways G14 and KOTM didn't. Way I see it G14 was too little and KOTM too much too late.
I'm wasn't refering to the films but Godzilla as an actual character but I completely acknowledge that I'm in my feelings because Godzilla along with Batman helped get threw some bad times with depression and a few suicide attempts and I get offended when someone implied the character doesn't matter and shouldn't be popular. Again I acknowledge that I'm too sensitive.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

And almost these two years everyone would have thought the furred dragon/horned lizard as seen in myths and depicted in fanart by fans.

Legendary definitely threw us off.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I really don't feel 2014 was similar in tone to 1954 or 1984. It felt way 'lighter than those films IMO.