Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Pkmatrix »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:48 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:13 am Also, if the theatre in my area is still showing it when I’m fully vaccinated I’ll definitely go watch it again in the theatre, I called and they said they’ll have it a few more weeks, so I should be able to.
Likely not going to happen. My theater is phasing out GVK this weekend for Cruella and A Quiet Place 2. I imagine it must be the same for most others.
It's been in theaters for 8 weeks already, so that's not much of a surprise. It won't be gone completely, but I assume they'll be scaling back and wrapping up once it hits $100M domestic.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I'm going to see it tomorrow for the second time in theaters. Doing my part for king and country.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

It’ll likely get a nice little boost this weekend due to it being a holiday

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Local theatre is still showing it, I’ll go next week if it’s still showing then
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 6:03 am It’ll likely get a nice little boost this weekend due to it being a holiday
Yep! Should make an extra 1.5-2M during the holiday. We should cross $100M by next week or so.

I saw it for the last time (8th viewing in theaters) on Wednesday. My theater is still having 3 shows a day, down to 1 a day as of next week after the holiday rush.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Thu May 27, 2021 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

When do projections usually come out today?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

98.3 domestic and 435 WW

Looks like we’re gonna be the first pandemic 100 million domestic movie and that we’re gonna make at least 450 overall

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It’ll take another 2 or 3 weekends to get to 100m. It’ll get to 450 with Japan still to come.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Cookson wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:00 pm It’ll take another 2 or 3 weekends to get to 100m. It’ll get to 450 with Japan still to come.
It’s got those double features with conjuring 3 and Memorial Day still to count. I think we can make it next weekend

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

So, I just realized something kinda hilarious:

So, remember how so far the MonsterVerse had actually outpaced the performance of the MCU at the same stage prior to GvK? (G14+K:SI+KOTM = $1.482B; Ironman+Incredible Hulk+Ironman 2 = $1.474B)

Hilariously, DESPITE the pandemic, the MonsterVerse is STILL keeping pace:

Monsterverse to Date: $1.918 Billion WW
MCU after 4th Film: $1.923 Billion WW

So if GvK makes just $5 Million more, MonsterVerse will continue to be just slightly better performing than the MCU was at the same point. xD

(Obviously, none of this factors in inflation but...let's be honest, nobody really cares about that.)

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Yeah I think GvK has probably made is possible for future films to be more successful they just need to keep the energy of GvK and more importantly get better writers

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Pkmatrix wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:45 am So, I just realized something kinda hilarious:

So, remember how so far the MonsterVerse had actually outpaced the performance of the MCU at the same stage prior to GvK? (G14+K:SI+KOTM = $1.482B; Ironman+Incredible Hulk+Ironman 2 = $1.474B)

Hilariously, DESPITE the pandemic, the MonsterVerse is STILL keeping pace:

Monsterverse to Date: $1.918 Billion WW
MCU after 4th Film: $1.923 Billion WW

So if GvK makes just $5 Million more, MonsterVerse will continue to be just slightly better performing than the MCU was at the same point. xD

(Obviously, none of this factors in inflation but...let's be honest, nobody really cares about that.)
That's truly an impressive feat to make when you think about how other attempted shared cinematic universe weren't as lucky for various reasons to catch up to the MCU's pace. It just makes the Monsterverse's position all the more amazing since despite some setbacks and all it's one of the few if not THE only other shared cinematic universe that's able to at least catch up to the MCU's pace if not outrun it.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

After much delay, Godzilla vs. Kong will FINALLY hit theaters in Japan on July 2nd!

Let's see if we can push the total film gross to $450M+

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovieJP/sta ... 90083?s=19

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

dillonking55 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:14 pm After much delay, Godzilla vs. Kong will FINALLY hit theaters in Japan on July 2nd!

It’s looking to have 440+ after this weekend. And that’s without Japan or Germany.

We will make it

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:15 pm
dillonking55 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:14 pm After much delay, Godzilla vs. Kong will FINALLY hit theaters in Japan on July 2nd!

It’s looking to have 440+ after this weekend. And that’s without Japan or Germany.

We will make it
Wow, those are really good numbers, and that’s without all the countries, Legendary’s has struck gold with GvK

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I hope Alberta will be as lucky as Japan...

Doubt it, though...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The only thing that’s gonna suck when talking about its box office run is the fact that it won’t be the first film to
Hit 100m domestically in the pandemic era. Even though it’s at 99.1m, Quiet Place 2 will get there first.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

While true I think we can all be glad about the performance of GvK

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

It's opening here in BC (and theatres across western Canada) on Tuesday. Hopefully that adds a bit more cash onto the pile.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Crazy how Raya and the Last Dragon is still making over a million dollars on weekends (almost 3 million on Memorial Day weekend). What great legs!
"It's ok, they're all smoking."