Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:41 am I don’t see how anyone could misconstrued GvK’s amazing performance as “failure” in good faith
I see and hear major publications do it all the time, sadly. People are just looking for reasons to s**t on the franchise because it's not a superhero movie.

They want it to fail, so when they see an average->above average weekend-to-weekend drop, it's perceived worse than it might otherwise be were it a movie they like more. Anywhere in the mid-50's is usually seen as a great sign of audience interest- not a point of failure. Or another I hear is that it "failed to hit $500, like people thought it would", as if it's not a success story regardless, even if that were true (it definitely isn't). My favorite though? And Grace Randolph of Beyond the Trailer does this all the time: "it only performed like it would have if it was PRE-COVID times". Absolutely absurd claim given the hype surrounding the movie. It's super petty and pathetic, honestly.

P.S- Grace's awful takes and 'my opinion is fact' mindset are huge bugbears for me, admittedly, but the point stands. Her coverage of the Monsterverse is insulting. Does anyone else gave issues with her like I do?
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Thu May 06, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

phantomsdaydreams wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:57 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:41 am I don’t see how anyone could misconstrued GvK’s amazing performance as “failure” in good faith
I see and hear major publications do it all the time, sadly. People are just looking for reasons to s**t on the franchise because it's not a superhero movie.

They want it to fail, so when they see an average->above average weekend-to-weekend drop, it's perceived worse than it might otherwise be were it a movie they like more. Anywhere in the mid-50's is usually seen as a great sign of audience interest- not a point of failure. Or another I hear is that it "failed to hit $500, like people thought it would", as if it's not a success story regardless, even if that were true (it definitely isn't). My favorite though? And Grace Randolph of Beyond the Trailer does this all the time: "it only performed like it would have if it was PRE-COVID times". Absolutely absurd claim given the hype surrounding the movie. It's super petty and pathetic, honestly.

P.S- Grace's awful takes and 'my opinion is fact' mindset are huge bugbears for me, admittedly, but the point stands. Her coverage of the Monsterverse is insulting. Does anyone else gave issues with her like I do?
She said GvK was gonna fall into the 30’s on rotten tomatoes because “foreign critics don’t understand the nuances like American ones do, so it’s score won’t be good”

And that ended up being wrong as FUCK

Added in 4 minutes 8 seconds:
Also, when I was counting the reviews when they first started pouring in, a lot of negative reviews had a unhealthy fascination with the MV ending. Saying things like “this will probably be the last one” and “hopefully it’s over”. I’ve never seen this kind of talk from critics about any other universe, not even the DCEU which had a streak of horrifically reviewed films.

I think a lot of the “GvK was a failure” talk is wishful thinking.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 pm
phantomsdaydreams wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:57 pm

She said GvK was gonna fall into the 30’s on rotten tomatoes because “foreign critics don’t understand the nuances like American ones do, so it’s score won’t be good”

And that ended up being wrong as skreeonk

Added in 4 minutes 8 seconds:
Also, when I was counting the reviews when they first started pouring in, a lot of negative reviews had a unhealthy fascination with the MV ending. Saying things like “this will probably be the last one” and “hopefully it’s over”. I’ve never seen this kind of talk from critics about any other universe, not even the DCEU which had a streak of horrifically reviewed films.

I think a lot of the “GvK was a failure” talk is wishful thinking.
Yes, this precisely! Look, I don't hate other movies- far from it. But the unhealthy obsession with wanting non-superhero stuff to fail is really awful. And yes, she doesn't and makes no attempt to understand the MV.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Grace Randolph is a joke it's had to believe she's a fan of KOTM.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

phantomsdaydreams wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:56 pm Also, when I was counting the reviews when they first started pouring in, a lot of negative reviews had a unhealthy fascination with the MV ending. Saying things like “this will probably be the last one” and “hopefully it’s over”. I’ve never seen this kind of talk from critics about any other universe, not even the DCEU which had a streak of horrifically reviewed films.
You see it a lot as a Jurassic Park fan.

"OMG, wHy aRe tHeY'Re mAkInG aNotHer oNe?????"

They're making another one so they can finish the story in this damn trilogy, you fucking donkeys.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

KK42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:43 am
phantomsdaydreams wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:56 pm Also, when I was counting the reviews when they first started pouring in, a lot of negative reviews had a unhealthy fascination with the MV ending. Saying things like “this will probably be the last one” and “hopefully it’s over”. I’ve never seen this kind of talk from critics about any other universe, not even the DCEU which had a streak of horrifically reviewed films.

They're making another one so they can finish the story in this damn trilogy, you skreeonking donkeys.
“ANOTHER Jurassic movie? They make these too often!” *gushes over the trillion marvel movies that come out like 10x as often*
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 am

They're making another one so they can finish the story in this damn trilogy, you skreeonking donkeys.
“ANOTHER Jurassic movie? They make these too often!” *gushes over the trillion marvel movies that come out like 10x as often*
Haha Yeah, I saw a chart the other day about their upcoming releases and there's legit 12+ projects coming out within the next year and a half. It's insane how people can consume that much and still have TIME to poop on other fanbases. =P

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Well in all fairness, there's nowhere the Jurassic Park franchise can really go but down. The original will never be beaten. There's nowhere you can take the franchise before it just gets into "too stupid to function" territory. I mean, Fallen Kingdom was an absolute shitstain of a movie and now they're going for Round 2?

Marvel has hundreds of characters and potential stories to tell. Jurassic Park is nothing more than "dinosaurs kill people", and as a huge fan of the original, I'm just disgusted with where they're taking these movies
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 pm Well in all fairness, there's nowhere the Jurassic Park franchise can really go but down. The original will never be beaten. There's nowhere you can take the franchise before it just gets into "too stupid to function" territory. I mean, Fallen Kingdom was an absolute shitstain of a movie and now they're going for Round 2?

Marvel has hundreds of characters and potential stories to tell. Jurassic Park is nothing more than "dinosaurs kill people", and as a huge fan of the original, I'm just disgusted with where they're taking these movies
In truth, this particular point was about the saturation of said franchise more than the quality. Love or hate the new JP films (and you're obviously entitled to your opinion either way), they definitely face similar criticisms/hipocrisy insofar as continuing the franchise. I don't mean to poop on Marvel in saying these things, but its undeniable that the sheer avalanche of content produced and the disregard/disrespect for other series is overwhelming compared to non-superhero projects.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Fri May 07, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 pm Well in all fairness, there's nowhere the Jurassic Park franchise can really go but down. The original will never be beaten.
And? You can say literally the exact same thing about the Godzilla series.

Added in 6 minutes 56 seconds:
Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 pm Marvel has hundreds of characters and potential stories to tell. Jurassic Park is nothing more than "dinosaurs kill people", and as a huge fan of the original, I'm just disgusted with where they're taking these movies
If you were a huge Jurassic Park fan as you claim, you’d know the series is about the dangerous misuse of science, the consequences of the corporate “profits over human lives” mindset, and the nature of the butterfly effect.

I, for one, think the new movies are doing a fine job at sticking to Michael Chriton’s themes and intentions, and I think they’re taking the story in a very interesting new direction. You’re free to disagree, but be aware that fans like me are in for it more than “dinosaurs killing people.”
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:42 pm Well in all fairness, there's nowhere the Jurassic Park franchise can really go but down. The original will never be beaten. There's nowhere you can take the franchise before it just gets into "too stupid to function" territory.
So then let me ask you...what current ongoing franchises are considered acceptable to you?
I mean, Fallen Kingdom was an absolute shitstain of a movie and now they're going for Round 2?
Uhh...because it’s a trilogy?
You’re clearly not a huge fan of the original because it’s a lot more than “dinosaurs kill people.” What an foolish and ignorant thing to say. You’re disgusted? Well no one’s forcing you to watch them then.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Holy Christ guys... I'm aware of the deeper themes in Jurassic Park, give me a goddamn break. I'm talking about the basic premise of the films. Even if there's deeper themes in these films, the movies are still largely the same; not much you can do with them now aside from "dinosaurs kill people". You're just trying to find things about my post to nitpick. You know it has nothing to do with deeper themes. That's rich for y'all to imply that I'm not a true fan of the original; pretty sure I know what I like more than you do. Jesus Christ why the hell do you have to be such gatekeepers over this sort of stuff? By your faulty logic, I should like the World movies more than the original because they have more "dinosaurs killing people" and pretty CGI effects, but I am in fact like you in that I like these movies for other reasons too

If you want to believe that the newer movies are worth anything, that's fine, but what the hell else can they do with them? There's nothing that can be done. The movies all have the same premise, deeper themes or not. And the original is the only one that I'd consider to be of truly high quality

Leave your smartass responses for a different time and place, because now is neither
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Sat May 08, 2021 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

I think we've all got quite a bit off track here. As I said earlier, we're all free to have our own opinions about the JP franchise (whether another considers them right or wrong) and there's already a sub-forum here for that. Perhaps we should contain our discussion to those movies there. It was originally meant only as an example and I'm certain that the guy only wanted to wanted to communicate his distaste for the basic template the film's have followed, which are quite similar, we all must admit.

Perhaps a more useful line of questioning would be this: is there anything the Monsterverse (and by extension, other non-superhero franchises) do to really break through the proverbial noise and start generating the same kind of steady income that they do?

For example, most Marvel movies break a billion (or get awful close), hat could the Monsterverse do to expand its appeal past the $500-ish high watermark we've reached? IS there anything to do? How can JP manage to do boffo business yet the MV cannot?
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sat May 08, 2021 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Handsome Shrek wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:32 am Holy Christ guys... I'm aware of the deeper themes in Jurassic Park, give me a goddamn break. I'm talking about the basic premise of the films. Even if there's deeper themes in these films, the movies are still largely the same; not much you can do with them now aside from "dinosaurs kill people". You're just trying to find things about my post to nitpick. You know it has nothing to do with deeper themes. That's rich for y'all to imply that I'm not a true fan of the original; pretty sure I know what I like more than you do. Jesus Christ why the hell do you have to be such gatekeepers over this sort of stuff? By your faulty logic, I should like the World movies more than the original because they have more "dinosaurs killing people" and pretty CGI effects, but I am in fact like you in that I like these movies for other reasons too

If you want to believe that the newer movies are worth anything, that's fine, but what the hell else can they do with them? There's nothing that can be done. The movies all have the same premise, deeper themes or not. And the original is the only one that I'd consider to be of truly high quality

Leave your smartass responses for a different time and place, because now is neither
The premise of every movie is “Dinosaurs killing people?”

We’re acting like “gatekeepers” because of stupid fucking straw man arguments like this.:lol:

Is the premise for all Star Wars movies “Spaceships and samurai fight each other?” Is the premise for all Godzilla movies “Monster destroys city/fights another monster?” Should we stop making more Godzilla or Star Wars movies because there’s nothing that can be done with them, by your logic?

The premise for Jurassic Park and its sequels should describe the plots of the movie. “A wealthy man creates a zoo featuring living dinosaurs.” “Estranged parents form a team to rescue their son stranded on a prehistoric island.”
“An impending volcanic eruption that threatens the last dinosaurs prompts a conservation effort to ensure the survival of their species.”

“Dinosaurs killing people” is a blatant straw man of a premise.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Yes, Jurassic Park, at the heart of things, is most certainly "Dinosaurs killing people"

And yes, MV movies are, at the heart of it, "Giant monsters destroying cities and fighting each other"

But there are a lot of things you can weave in and around those two subjects to come up with a good movie.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So when it works, it's a good movie with monsters or dinosaurs.

When it doesn't, you still have the monsters and dinosaurs to fall back on.

Most of the old Toho Godzilla movies are flat-out terrible as movies. But they have Godzilla, so we love them anyway because we're all Godzilla fans and if he's there, we going to at least like that part of it.

I personally am not much of a fan of the new JP series. Don't like the whole "training the raptors for the military" and all that. Also don't like the whole "they built a huge theme park" based around dinosaurs, that had previously shown to be unpredictable and uncontrollable....like we were too stupid to have learned our lesson there.

But the first one was kind of entertaining. I checked out after that.

The MV is pretty much delivering, IMO. Decent-to-good movie subject matter, and top-notch monster CGI and action.

It'll never be as big as JP. JP has a built-in "Wow" factor, because of the time and place the original movie was released. Best CGI ever at that point, awesome topic, great movie, and this was before everything was CGI, so it was groundbreaking.

All the rest of them have built off of that. No MV movie was ever going to make an impact like that....98 was the time and opportunity for that, and that movie blew it. So from here on, anytime we can get $400-500 million out of a MV movie, we should celebrate and call that a win. That's pretty much the high end for this type of subject material.

Added in 3 minutes 27 seconds:
gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:53 am

Yeah, but Marvel movies are all different. Jurassic movies are all dinosaurs, and mostly the same dinosaurs.

An Iron Man movie is totally different from Spiderman or Hulk or Dr Strange or Black Panther.

They might all be superheroes, but the similarities end there.

If every Marvel movie was based around say, Hulk, like all the MV movies are based around Godzilla, you might have a point.

But comic books are BOOKS. Not all books are the same, even if they have the same type of theme.

That's like saying all war movies are the same because they are all based on a war.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Did you watch the same Marvel movies I did? I might (only half-jokingly) argue that damn-near half of the MCU is Iron Man and Iron Man-related stuff, but I'll withhold my comment there. :lol:

I do legitimately see GvK as a success, don't get me wrong, but I also hope the franchise can follow it up with another banger and break out more, you know? It's not impossible to imagine we could do at least slightly bigger business if the franchise kept up audience interest. I could see a $600 million earner if they continue to do well from here on in. After all, even the previously Gearheads-only 'Fast & Furious' franchise has become much bigger thanks to changing the formula and getting new people interested in them. I might even argue that the Pandemic release of GvK provided a second chance for mainstream relevance for the Godzilla franchise. Not as big of one as 98 or 14, but an opening to expand, at least.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sat May 08, 2021 7:06 am, edited 9 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

God, the hypocrisy here.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Let's remember to keep this primarily about GvK, not Jurassic Park or Marvel. Thank you.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Oh my, GvK was only 200k shy of overtaking mortal kombat this weekend. GvKs 6th weekend was on par with MKs 3rd

That’s impressive

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:40 am Oh my, GvK was only 200k shy of overtaking mortal kombat this weekend. GvKs 6th weekend was on par with MKs 3rd

That’s impressive
Says alot about both tbh. GvK has good legs & a healthy box office, while MK has legs made of jelly lol.

For WB's sake, they better hope the numbers for MK are still good on HBO Max because it's theater run numbers are horrendous.

It's gonna struggle to make 50M domestic. I doubt they move forward with a sequel now.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Sun May 09, 2021 7:13 am, edited 3 times in total.