Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs Kong: the Box Office Thread - Predictions, Tracking, etc

Post by Pkmatrix »

yogi bareass wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 pm
yogi bareass wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:36 am We probably won't see another MV movie until 2045 because they will run from all the Marvel movies whose dates were revealed today.
90% of those dates were already known, it doesn't really change anything for other studios.
I was half joking, But thanks for that. I didn't know they were already known.
Because Disney has seemingly infinite money, they usually announce their Marvel movies about a decade in advance. :lol:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

They’ve already announced Squirrel Girl 7 coming out in 2079.
For Emperor and Empire!

Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Post by Excelsior »

Voyager wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:55 pm They’ve already announced Squirrel Girl 7 coming out in 2079.
And Alpha Flight will still be waiting for their first at-bat. :cry:

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:55 pm We'll be seeing Godzilla 4. Godzilla vs Kong is Kong 2 and Godzilla 3.
Technically, I guess, but they will assuredly be called G3 and K2 (or more likely just subtitled, but you know what I mean). It's not like The Winter Soldier isn't Cap 2 in Disney's eyes and Iron Man 3 is still the trilogy ender too, despite them both appearing in The Avengers prior. We should try and not confuse the nomenclature.

That aside, I'm fairly certain we'll get at least one more Godzilla movie. Even if their confidence is shaken, they'll want to keep touting a Cinematic universe, so either they create an OC heroic monster (doubtful) or they keep the budget a bit lower and try for one more G film. I think a GvK budget or sonething aroubd $150 could still produce a real banger and give them a better ROI. Heck, look at how much they did with GvK!
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Tue May 04, 2021 8:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Honestly, they just need to do a little more retooling with Godzilla. Go back to the horror themes a bit, maybe get a big name actor for the main/supporting role.

(Hell, maybe shoot for Brad Pitt. He's a fan of the character & if he can do a zombie flick, I don't see why he couldn't do at least one Goji flick).

Maybe something with Biolantte or Hidorah as a bioengineerd monster that takes over a city & Godzilla has to stop it before it completely takes over the planet.
Last edited by dillonking55 on Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

dillonking55 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:14 am Honestly, they just need to do a little more retooling with Godzilla. Go back with the horror theme a bit, maybe get a big name actor for the main/supporting role.

(Hell, maybe shoot for Brad Pitt. He's a fan of the character & if he can do a zombie flick, I don't see why he couldn't do at least one Goji flick).

Maybe something with Biolantte or Hidorah as a bioengineerd monster that takes over a city & Godzilla has to stop it before it completely takes over the planet.
Get back to the 2014 atmosphere while keeping the best actor in the film alive past the 1st act. Make the main char if it ISNT said best actor more human.

Hedorah would be cool. He never gets used to his full potential as a world-ending kaiju like Ghidorah or Destoroyah. It would also double as a tribute to Yoshimitsu Banno, who's unmade Godzilla vs Hedorah pseudo-remake precipitated the monsterverse.

Then again given that Hedorah feeds off of pollution china might be turned off from a film featuring him, so maybe Biollante is the way to go.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Tue May 04, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:19 am Then again given that Hedorah feeds off of pollution china might be turned off from a film featuring him, so maybe Biollante is the way to go.
That just sounds like extra incentive to get Hedorah in a film, to me. 8-)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

KK42 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 am
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:19 am Then again given that Hedorah feeds off of pollution china might be turned off from a film featuring him, so maybe Biollante is the way to go.
That just sounds like extra incentive to get Hedorah in a film, to me. 8-)
Well yeah, to us it does, but to studio execs who know china is big money it isn't. Unless they somehow work deathla into it and have him come out of the amazon like in the original IMAX Godzilla story.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

phantomsdaydreams wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:46 am
miguelnuva wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:55 pm We'll be seeing Godzilla 4. Godzilla vs Kong is Kong 2 and Godzilla 3.
Technically, I guess, but they will assuredly be called G3 and K2 (or more likely just subtitled, but you know what I mean). It's not like The Winter Soldier isn't Cap 2 in Disney's eyes and Iron Man 3 is still the trilogy ender too, despite them both appearing in The Avengers prior. We should try and not confuse the nomenclature.

That aside, I'm fairly certain we'll get at least one more Godzilla movie. Even if their confidence is shaken, they'll want to keep touting a Cinematic universe, so either they create an OC heroic monster (doubtful) or they keep the budget a bit lower and try for one more G film. I think a GvK budget or sonething aroubd $150 could still produce a real banger and give them a better ROI. Heck, look at how much they did with GvK!
Avengers is actually a separate franchise from Iron Man and Captain America. Godzilla and Kong met in a film called The World's mightiest than that would be the first film for that and not necessarily Godzilla 3 and Kong 2.

Batman v Superman is Batman 1 and Superman 2 for example but Justice League is not Superman 3 even though they are featured in it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

miguelnuva wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:05 pm

Avengers is actually a separate franchise from Iron Man and Captain America. Godzilla and Kong met in a film called The World's mightiest than that would be the first film for that and not necessarily Godzilla 3 and Kong 2.

Batman v Superman is Batman 1 and Superman 2 for example but Justice League is not Superman 3 even though they are featured in it.
1) Avengers is one part of a cinematic Universe. It is all one franchise. This is accepted fact. If we're talking individual series within the MCU, then...you're agreeing with me? You're right, if in the fictional "The World's Mightiest" the two characters met, it wouldn't be considered "Godzilla 3", proving my point. The next entry if the individual series (being Godzilla and Kong in this CU) would be. Thus, GvK should not be considered G3 or K2.

2) Or...are you saying that just because the names are featured in the title that makes it a sequel? That's the only difference in your latter example. That's patently absurd. So the recently announced "Captain Marvel 2" (now called 'The Marvels') isn't a sequel, despite the fact that it most certainly is, just because the name has changed? How do you categorize the Bond franchise without numbers or names included in their titles? Is Hobbs & Shaw Fast 9 and the actual 'Fast 9' mis-numbered because of it? Listen, you can call them whatever you want and categorize them as you please. By all means, feel free to do so. All I'm saying is that this is 100% semantics and that the studios see things differently. A new G movie would be considered "Godzilla 3". That's all. It just makes things confusing to say otherwise. Now, I don't wish to discuss this any further here. Consider yourself to have proven your point if necessary. We're clearly not going to change each other's minds and this is the wrong forum thread for this. Let's move on.

Getting back on topic: who here thinks GvK might skip theaters in Japan? I know they don't take to streaming as much as the rest of the world, but do you think a significant delay in the film's release could force their hand given diminishing returns post-physical release elsewhere (ie.importing could hurt the sales too much for it to be worth their while)?
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Tue May 04, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I don’t know, I don’t see GvK skipping theaters in Japan though.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

obZen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 pm I don’t know, I don’t see GvK skipping theaters in Japan though.
I suppose the general audience who weren't going to pay through the nose to import and the ones who will choose to pirate are probably not the biggest batch of paying moviegoers, so you're likely right. Still, I do hope that the movie can come out relatively soon and Japan can get the C19 situation there under control. I feel like the longer it takes for the movie to come out, the more likely it is to siphon off any excitement or potential cash flow from a theatrical release. I suppose if Toho released the Monster Planet trilogy in theaters with how poorly they increasingly did, they'll still release this one when the times finally comes. I just really want GvK to hit as high as it can under the circumstances. Gravy, maybe, but I still hear people s**t on the movie and its performance, even after successive films have been more divisive/less profitable than initially anticipated. How GREAT would it be to see GvK in the top 10 earners for the year? Wow. Unlikely, I think, but it would be one more feather to boast of.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

phantomsdaydreams wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 pm

1) Avengers is one part of a cinematic Universe. It is all one franchise. This is accepted fact. If we're talking individual series within the MCU, then...you're agreeing with me? You're right, if in the fictional "The World's Mightiest" the two characters met, it wouldn't be considered "Godzilla 3", proving my point. The next entry if the individual series (being Godzilla and Kong in this CU) would be. Thus, GvK should not be considered G3 or K2.

2) Or...are you saying that just because the names are featured in the title that makes it a sequel? That's the only difference in your latter example. That's patently absurd. So the recently announced "Captain Marvel 2" (now called 'The Marvels') isn't a sequel, despite the fact that it most certainly is, just because the name has changed? How do you categorize the Bond franchise without numbers or names included in their titles? Is Hobbs & Shaw Fast 9 and the actual 'Fast 9' mis-numbered because of it? Listen, you can call them whatever you want and categorize them as you please. By all means, feel free to do so. All I'm saying is that this is 100% semantics and that the studios see things differently. A new G movie would be considered "Godzilla 3". That's all. It just makes things confusing to say otherwise. Now, I don't wish to discuss this any further here. Consider yourself to have proven your point if necessary. We're clearly not going to change each other's minds and this is the wrong forum thread for this. Let's move on.

Getting back on topic: who here thinks GvK might skip theaters in Japan? I know they don't take to streaming as much as the rest of the world, but do you think a significant delay in the film's release could force their hand given diminishing returns post-physical release elsewhere (ie.importing could hurt the sales too much for it to be worth their while)?
Freddy vs Jason is a sequel to both franchises for example. If Freddy and Jason met in something called King of Slashers that was a separate from the other two series it wouldn't be a sequel.

Godzilla vs Kong is in the Godzilla and Kong series, it is a Crossover. Avengers isn't a crossover as it became its own thing in the comics.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

miguelnuva wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 am
phantomsdaydreams wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:33 pm

Freddy vs Jason is a sequel to both franchises for example. If Freddy and Jason met in something called King of Slashers that was a separate from the other two series it wouldn't be a sequel.

Godzilla vs Kong is in the Godzilla and Kong series, it is a Crossover. Avengers isn't a crossover as it became its own thing in the comics.
I am genuinely confused by this conversation with you. Why are you still bringing this up? Let's just drop it. Please? As I said, no one is changing their mind here. It's a waste of both our time.

My original point was that GvK would not considered G3 or K2 by studios as it is a crossover movie. That's all. Are you agreeing with me now? What you're saying now is debating semantics of other franchises, even. 'Friday 13' is the production title of the yet-untitled Friday the 13th movie in development, despite FvJ. Now you're argument for Avengers is that because the comics (not the films, which is what we were discussing), which are completely different entities, are seperate, the movies should be too? It really seems like you're just going off of whether or not a character's name is in the title.

And you know what? Whatever. You do you. Drop it. I don't care. Let's move on, please. We're off-topic and drowning out actual discussion. Can you just make a new thread if you feel this passionately about this? Mods will be incoming if we keep going.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed May 05, 2021 7:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Does anyone know of a better box office resource for daily numbers than Boxofficemojo? I'd love to get a more thorough look at the daily numbers for GvK. BOM isn't as reliable as it used to be. That race to $100 million domestic is going to come down to those dailies. I loved following along when Rampage had it's race to $100 mil.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Wed May 05, 2021 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

phantomsdaydreams wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:30 am Does anyone know of a better box office resource for daily numbers than Boxofficemojo? I'd love to get a more thorough look at the daily numbers for GvK. BOM isn't as reliable as it used to be. That race to $100 million domestic is going to come down to those dailies. I loved following along when Rampage had it's race to $100 mil.
The Numbers is basically the only alternative.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

What's the current financial stats?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:31 am What's the current financial stats?
$415.5 million WW total thus far, with only a couple markets left to be released in.

It could potentially reach 450, but my guess is it lands somewhere in the 430-range, perhaps topping out at 38 or 39. I think Japan's current state won't lend itself to a super profitable release when it does come out there and that's it's biggest market left to mine. A very respectable total. Sequel talks ongoing, so we're fine at this point, but I do hope it can hit 450 somehow. Just for show, you know? Shore up its total for the eventual flood of Marvel and other big blockbusters. Maybe it can hold onto a spot in the top 10 for the year.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Yeah all in all I don't think we have much to be disappointed about. This film was great exposure for Godzilla and will hopefully awaken a new generation of fans in the States.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I don’t see how anyone could misconstrued GvK’s amazing performance as “failure” in good faith
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: