Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by Jermobooka »

“Watch as the champion of realism in giant monster movies, MegaEvilSaurus, and the ridiculer and enemy of entertainment, Vakanai, engage in a battle of wits, pessimism, and mild disagreement live on Tohokingdom!”

:lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun May 30, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:38 pm why Hong Kong? I mean it's Godzilla, he's the iconic Japanese kaiju, so why so many points for him showing up in a Chinese city?
I suppose I mean the design. The neon, the way Kong utilized the buildings, that sort of thing, not just because it's literally Hong Kong. I just thought the city was utilized in a lot of fun and creative ways. It ain't how I would have made a Godzilla/Kong crossover, but I still appreciate what we got. Thing is man, unlike the rest of the Godzilla series, the Monsterverse is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. I'm not really happy with most of it, but I do find plenty to enjoy in it. I do feel you about a lot of your criticisms, though. It's a lot harder to like the bits and pieces of a whole you're not into.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Anecdotal, but recently over the weekend there was an airing of KOTM on Japanese cable. I think it has something to do with promoting Godzilla vs. Kong. Anyways, two of my coworkers started talking to me about it, and I gave it a kinder opinion than I've stated on the forums here. However, one of the people I was talking to, an older gentleman, brought up how it was odd that Godzilla was resurrected with a nuke. He didn't "take offense", but thought it was a poor choice and didn't understand why they did that. He stated it fell in contrast to Godzilla's original origins and themes. This was unprovoked (ie, I didn't start talking about nukes). While some may view this as confirmation bias, the fact that this conversation occurred naturally, indicates to me that yes, I and others, over the last few years were perfectly justified in taking issue with the film's portrayal of nuclear elements. They sort of liked it, but weren't really impressed. For what it's worth though I convinced them that Godzilla vs. Kong was better and that they'd enjoy that film with their family.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun May 30, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

GvK is so fundamentally more enjoyable than KOTM imo. There are quite a few cool bits in KOTM and some ideas were there but man, as a whole I just can’t love the movie and I wish I could. I can watch GvK all the way through happily due to the break neck pace and while it could have certainly done with more character development etc, KOTM is an example of how NOT to do that. Having Godzilla, King G, Mothra and Rodan on the big screen, I feel like the monster action at least would have been so much more enjoyable if Adam was at the helm and just went overboard with the Kaiju action. As many have said about KOTM, it doesn’t know what it wants to be while also coming across as very amateur in execution, while GvK gives exactly what it promised and was damn fun. I’m actually immensely disappointed that I don’t love KOTM more because it had so much going for it in theory but it’s an example of how inexperience and too much fan service can give a lesser experience.
Last edited by KaijuKingGojira on Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:49 am GvK is so fundamentally more enjoyable than KOTM imo. There are quite a few cool bits in KOTM and some ideas were there but man, as a whole I just can’t love the movie and I wish I could. I can watch GvK all the way through happily due to the break neck pace and while it could have certainly done with more character development etc, KOTM is an example of how NOT to do that. Having Godzilla, King G, Mothra and Rodan on the big screen, I feel like the monster action at least would have been so much more enjoyable if Adam was at the helm and just went overboard with the Kaiju action. As many have said about KOTM, it doesn’t know what it wants to be while also coming across as very amateur in execution, while GvK gives exactly what it promised and was damn fun. I’m actually immensely disappointed that I don’t love KOTM more because it had so much going for it in theory but it’s an example of how inexperience and too much fan service can give a lesser experience.
Well, you're a trooper. I feel both films suffer from a breakneck pace so I'm not giving either film an edge on that. Beyond that though, while I don't feel this film is good, imo it is so many worlds above GvK it's unreal. It tries to stay consistent with what came before while doing it's own thing, there's effort put into the script and storytelling beyond the fights, and...honestly that's it, but it's something. It's kind of a sad shame, but KotM is currently the second best of the 4 American Godzilla movies (2014 is the best, and yeah, I rank 1998 above GvK...).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

batzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by batzilla »

So Mike Dougherty posted this on Instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPuEGZegl9V ... =copy_link

Maybe it’s just a joking referring to that costume. Or...maybe...

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

batzilla wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:10 pm So Mike Dougherty posted this on Instagram...

If this really is a hint at him directing the next MV film, then I’m pretty damn surprised it’s a Goji movie and not Kong: Hollow Earth. Since, well, Kong’s consistently performed better box office wise
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:18 pm
batzilla wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:10 pm So Mike Dougherty posted this on Instagram...

If this really is a hint at him directing the next MV film, then I’m pretty damn surprised it’s a Goji movie and not Kong: Hollow Earth. Since, well, Kong’s consistently performed better box office wise
the next Godzilla film doesn't necessarily have to be the next MonsterVerse film.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:30 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:18 pm

the next Godzilla film doesn't necessarily have to be the next MonsterVerse film.
I'm hoping the next Godzilla film is a Toho film myself.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Let’s not jump to conclusions, just yet. I know that most of the Godzilla community loves Mike Dougherty works including me, and would be happy if he’s making another Godzilla movie but since the Instagram post is a little vague, i’m a little doubtful

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:12 am

Let’s not jump to conclusions, just yet. I know that most of the Godzilla community loves Mike Dougherty works including me, and would be happy if he’s making another Godzilla movie but since the Instagram post is a little vague, i’m a little doubtful
Most of the community loves him? I got the opposite feeling here...

Personally I don't think he's great, but he did better than Wingard.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Most of the community outside of TK lol, I've seen nothing but praise for KOTM outside of those looking for Citizen Kane
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Wait, people think TK represents the Godzilla community? Lmao
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’m sorry for saying that this website represent the community, I’m sorry

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:38 pm I've seen nothing but praise for KOTM outside of those looking for Citizen Kane
You know it's possible for someone to dislike a movie without having expected it to be a piece of world class cinema, right?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:04 pm Wait, people think TK represents the Godzilla community? Lmao
So...where is the Godzilla fandom represented?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:37 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:04 pm Wait, people think TK represents the Godzilla community? Lmao
r/GODZILLA

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:08 am
r/GODZILLA
Isn't reddit a notorious troll hole?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 am

r/GODZILLA
r/GODZILLA is probably the most general and all encompassing Godzilla community, aside from the Twitter G-Fandom, with a pretty large member size.

Not really something I’d call a “notorious troll hole”, either :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:31 am
Vakanai wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 am

r/GODZILLA
r/GODZILLA is probably the most general and all encompassing Godzilla community, aside from the Twitter G-Fandom, with a pretty large member size.

Not really something I’d call a “notorious troll hole”, either :lol:
I should still probably avoid it for a while - I think I'd get more grief for my controversial "GvK sucks" opinion than I even do here.