Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by LindenHS »

Spuro wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:24 pm
LindenHS wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:00 pm
Anguirus wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:42 pm I will say though, that I consider Dr. Stanton in this movie to be the worst character in the Monsterverse. All those cringy one liners pretty much ruined the film for me.
That’s a funny way of spelling Sam Coleman.
Both were pretty annoying.

The worst line (for me, personally) will always be Serizawa's "really long fortune cookie" line, though. On my 2nd and 3rd theatrical viewings I always chose that scene to have a bathroom break.
Oh! I do that too!
Or I fast forward because it is just… awful. At least Rick gets the excuse he is probably drunk and/or antisocial, Sam is just terrible… also let’s not forget the Ghidorah name joke

Added in 1 minute 6 seconds:
Anguirus wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:07 pm Oh God, that fortune cookie joke was terrible. Probably my least favorite scene in the Monsterverse. I honestly don't remember Sam Coleman, so I doubt I minded him much. But I'll have to rewatch again.
He made the STD joke

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Has anyone found that their opinion on this film has changed drastically post GvK?

My initial impression of KOTM was lukewarm at best. I really detested vocal fan base that claimed this was the Godzilla movie they had been waiting for. I WANTED to see what they saw in the film but everything about the final product left me feeling a bit cold.

Before the movie I had read the full plot breakdown, seen all of the titan designs and listened to the score countless times. I love all of these separate parts, but when combined nothing seemed to hit me as hard as I wanted it to. The score seemed subdued in the film, lost by overly loud sound effects. The action seemed even choppier than in G 2014.

I wanted to like this movie a lot more than I did.

But post GvK and especially the last few weeks I’ve really started to appreciate how this film acts as a love letter to the series and feels tonally in line with the Heisei series, my favorite era of Godzilla.

I still think the faults I mentioned earlier are very much there but after seeing the cartoonish physics of GvK I really appreciate how this film tried to marry the realism of G 2014 with more fantastical elements.

I find myself coming back to this film and Shin more and more lately. A sort of yin and yang approach to the franchise and both are happily in my top five at the moment.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:37 am Has anyone found that their opinion on this film has changed drastically post GvK?
Honestly I had the opposite of your reaction. I didn't have the best reaction to KOTM at first, but I appreciate what it wanted to accomplish as a big love letter to the franchise, and I still do... But ever since GVK came out, and me seeing that film as the better one overall, my opinion of King of the Monsters started to sour. I wouldn't say it's one of the WORST Godzilla movies or anything, but there's so much stuff in it that it builds up and either doesn't go anywhere, or the payoff feels really lacking. Meanwhile, everything Godzilla vs. Kong built up, I got everything I wanted and then some.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:37 am Has anyone found that their opinion on this film has changed drastically post GvK?
Nope.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

My opinion of it hasn't changed at all. I liked Godzilla vs. Kong a lot, and it's more of what this film could have been. Now that it's a few years past, I don't really remember or think about it often.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

My opinion’s remained about the same. I adore KOTM, a little more than GVK in some respects, but in other areas I see GvK as superior. Both of them together make a pretty cool arc about Godzilla the Alpha Titan imo.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

No real change for me. I think, if anything, GvK improved on the action sequences and I'm left watching KOTM desiring more. I still love all the things I did from that movie, but it's still a messy clunk of a film for me.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I love KOTM. Could it be better? Of course? But the monster fights really delivered. The characters are ok and I don't seem to mind the plot as much as others do. But yeah I hate the jokes.

Added in 39 seconds:
king_ghidorah wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 12:25 pm Skull Island is probably best indicative of what this series should be. It’s pop fun, just a hint of seriousness and world building, but it also doesn’t go full Marvel humor mode like GvK. It has its own distinct vibe which really hasn’t been replicated by any of the other films.

It’s a monster mash movie with one foot grounded in realism and one foot in pop escapism.
Completely agree.

GojiraXDAN
Samurai

Post by GojiraXDAN »

The first time I saw the film I felt kind of underwhelmed and frustrated they kept panning away from the monsters or obstructing them with weather effects or extremely dark conditions, as well as some cringy jokes like most have mentioned and left the theater kind of disappointed. But on repeat viewings, I've grown to enjoy it and appreciate the things it did do well. Like I absolutely love the designs of the familiar Toho kaiju quite possibly my favorite designs of Rodan Mothra and King Ghidorah of the franchise. I feel like the central human characters were done pretty well and they felt more directly involved with the monsters and were more fleshed out than GVK (and save for Brian Cranston I cared more about them than Ford & Family in G14). I just wish the big battle sequence let us have a more extended uninterrupted sequence of the main kaiju throwing down like GVK.
Last edited by GojiraXDAN on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Youtube! Go Check out some of my GMVS and AMVS!: http://www.youtube.com/user/thejoker9998?feature=mhee

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Nope. I still love it just as much.

Meanwhile I think Godzilla vs Kong is overrated. I do enjoy it but it's very stupid and I much prefer the aesthetic and tone of KotM. That said, the final fight between Godzilla and Kong is the best in the Monsterverse by far.
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

My opinion of KOTM has gotten a little worse. Outside of Serizawa there isn't really any likable character in the movie. Weird, janky editing. Our dearly departed BARAGONBREH was actually the one who pointed out some editing issues that I can't unsee now. I love the music though and wish they had used it more in GvK. It seemed like they really tried to distance themselves in GvK from this film in many ways.

I dont hate the movie but to me it's the worst MV film.

4. KOTM
3. KSI
2. G14
1. GvK
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

redmonsterbaragon
Ronin

original monsters

Post by redmonsterbaragon »

I think Godzilla should fight more monsters that aren't new versions of older monsters but the onsterverse Ghidorah was pretty cool

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: original monsters

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

redmonsterbaragon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:50 am I think Godzilla should fight more monsters that aren't new versions of older monsters but the onsterverse Ghidorah was pretty cool
While I agree, I still am personally holding out hope to see Biollante in the Monsterverse.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I like some of the design philosophy of most of the original titans. The only Toho kaiju I'd really like to see back are Mothra and Rodan imo.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

The humans are the worst part. And they take up a majority of the movie. I wouldn't mind that if they were compelling.

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

(i would have edited my last comment, but it was to late to)
The monsters and stuff in here look great. And they have a good human cast. They just wrote it all wrong here. The family drama is uninteresting and the side characters are either boring or annoying. And Ghidorah got nerfed to hard to feel threatening, it gets more clear how much he was disrespected in the novel.
Last edited by GoldenGoat2000 on Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:27 am And Ghidorah got nerfed to hard to feel threatening,
-_-
There are a lot of wrong opinions in this fandom that I can just scroll past and disregard. This one consistently gets me. It's just so head-scratchingly bizarre. Ghidorah swatted Rodan like a fly and made him surrender(!), killed Mothra, had Godzilla(!) at his mercy twice in the final battle, and Godzilla required a massive power up to be able to put Ghidorah down. Besides a nice city destruction scene, what on earth did you want?
Last edited by JAGzilla on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:09 am
GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:27 am And Ghidorah got nerfed to hard to feel threatening,
-_-
There are a lot of wrong opinions in this fandom that I can just scroll past and disregard. This one consistently gets me. It's just so head-scratchingly bizarre. Ghidorah swatted Rodan like a fly and made him surrender(!), killed Mothra, had Godzilla(!) at his mercy twice in the final battle, and Godzilla required a massive power up to be able to put Ghidorah down. Besides a nice city destruction scene, what on earth did you want?
The director of the movie actually said that Godzilla ALONE defeated Ghidorah in Antarctica on Twitter. A simple 1v1, no powerups involved. Godzilla won.

If you've read the novels, you'd know that the KoTM novelization calls Godzilla Ghidorah's tormentor. Plus there's a line that strait up says "even without Mothra's help, Godzilla was still slaughtering Ghidorah". Not winning, not gaining the upper hand. Slaughtering.

And one last thing, Rodan's a pissant in that movie.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:54 pm
-_-
The director of the movie actually said that Godzilla ALONE defeated Ghidorah in Antarctica on Twitter. A simple 1v1, no powerups involved. Godzilla won.

If you've read the novels, you'd know that the KoTM novelization calls Godzilla Ghidorah's tormentor. Plus there's a line that strait up says "even without Mothra's help, Godzilla was still slaughtering Ghidorah". Not winning, not gaining the upper hand. Slaughtering.

Hmm. It really doesn’t come off that way that Ghiddy is losing the Antarctic fight. Godzilla was definitely getting him, but it felt more even than anything when watching it.

And in Boston, even with the power up, Godzilla wasn’t getting enough damage on him, not til he went thermo. he did better than before until Ghidorah ate the generator. There’s a reason they had to distract Ghiddy before the final part of the clash.

Based on observable evidence from the film, this wasn’t as one sided as you posited.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

GoldenGoat2000
Yojimbo

Post by GoldenGoat2000 »

CyberZilla wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:01 pm
GoldenGoat2000 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:54 pm
-_-

Hmm. It really doesn’t come off that way that Ghiddy is losing the Antarctic fight. Godzilla was definitely getting him, but it felt more even than anything when watching it.

And in Boston, even with the power up, Godzilla wasn’t getting enough damage on him, not til he went thermo. he did better than before until Ghidorah ate the generator. There’s a reason they had to distract Ghiddy before the final part of the clash.

Based on observable evidence from the film, this wasn’t as one sided as you posited.

No no no, not the one in the movie. When Ghidorah was originally frozen in ice, Godzilla soloed.

Seriously, if you get a chance, read the novelizations. (They're actually pretty great reads) Idk how to post images here, but I would show you the exact page. It does say Godzilla was finishing off Ghidorah before the one head ate the power grid