Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by Voyager »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:49 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:46 pm I agree, generally… but I really don’t feel like ToMG is made for kids. That’s movie’s pretty dark.
Have you seen some of the 70s Ultraman shows?

Yes, Terror of MG is pretty dark and violent, but this sort of thing was NOT unusual for Japanese kids entertainment of that era. At the end of the day, the movie was made for children. Honda's direction makes it a better and deeper movie, but it's still a kids film.
I understand that 70s Japanese media was very violent, but the themes of ToMG really point to a more mature audience.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:52 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:49 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:46 pm I agree, generally… but I really don’t feel like ToMG is made for kids. That’s movie’s pretty dark.
Have you seen some of the 70s Ultraman shows?

Yes, Terror of MG is pretty dark and violent, but this sort of thing was NOT unusual for Japanese kids entertainment of that era. At the end of the day, the movie was made for children. Honda's direction makes it a better and deeper movie, but it's still a kids film.
I understand that 70s Japanese media was very violent, but the themes of ToMG really point to a more mature audience.
But once again, if you watch some other things made around that time you'll see that Terror isn't unique. Some seriously screwed up shit happens in episodes of Ultraman Leo, made around the same time, and that was a kids TV show.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I really wish they had toned down the teal/orange/stormy look to the movie, it would have made it far more enjoyable (well, besides other wonky areas to the movie). I mean G2014 has the cloudy/gray/overcast look to it, and the night scenes are what they are, but it's never bothered me as much as KOTM's look, I guess because KOTM goes out of its way to have monster fights then smothers them in weather and filters. Pacific Rim and Godzilla vs Kong were able to balance saturated colors and elements in a more satisfying way (or maybe it's just Hong Kong?).

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

You know I rewatched all 4 Monsterverse films this holiday weekend and honest to god KotM is the best of them. The pacing, the music (HUGE bonus points here), the story, the fights, the human drama, the cinematography... its a perfect Showa Godzilla homage film. I really don't understand why it reviewed so poorly.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SG-17 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:03 am You know I rewatched all 4 Monsterverse films this holiday weekend and honest to god KotM is the best of them. The pacing, the music (HUGE bonus points here), the story, the fights, the human drama, the cinematography... its a perfect Showa Godzilla homage film. I really don't understand why it reviewed so poorly.
It's primarily a loveletter for Godzilla fans first and a film for everyone else second, for better or for worse. I enjoy it, but I recognize its faults (the Oxygen Destroyer being the elephant in the room here).
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Spuro wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:44 am
SG-17 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:03 am You know I rewatched all 4 Monsterverse films this holiday weekend and honest to god KotM is the best of them. The pacing, the music (HUGE bonus points here), the story, the fights, the human drama, the cinematography... its a perfect Showa Godzilla homage film. I really don't understand why it reviewed so poorly.
It's primarily a loveletter for Godzilla fans first and a film for everyone else second, for better or for worse. I enjoy it, but I recognize its faults (the Oxygen Destroyer being the elephant in the room here).

This is perfectly put. It’s the best “Godzilla” film of the bunch in that it’s a love letter to the franchise. I love the film more and more which each passing year.

My problems with it have always been that the monster stuff kind of …..sucks. But even that is getting better with time.

I’ve said it before and I’ll said it again.

G2014 is the best film of the bunch.
GKOTM is the best Godzilla film.
GvK is the most fun.

I love ‘em all in their different flavors and varieties.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:04 pm I’ve said it before and I’ll said it again.

G2014 is the best film of the bunch.
GvK is the most fun.

You know, I'll totally, 100% agree with this. :godzilla2021:

Between those three and the Reiwa experiments, we've gotten a lot of variety from both sides of the Pacific.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:04 pmG2014 is the best film of the bunch.
GvK is the most fun.

And what of Kong: Skull Island?

IMO I found that more fun than Godzilla vs. Kong.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Skull Island is probably best indicative of what this series should be. It’s pop fun, just a hint of seriousness and world building, but it also doesn’t go full Marvel humor mode like GvK. It has its own distinct vibe which really hasn’t been replicated by any of the other films.

It’s a monster mash movie with one foot grounded in realism and one foot in pop escapism.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's partially indicative of what this series should be. Skull Island has some problems focusing on its characters. Tom Hiddleston just sort of stumbles into becoming a main character halfway through the movie, and we're left wondering why we should care about him.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

To date Kong: Skull Island IMO has the best human characters. If only the other MonsterVerse films had characters just like them (Except Serizawa and Joe Brody) especially Godzilla vs. Kong.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri May 06, 2022 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

IMO Tom Hiddleson’s character is the worst main protagonist of the Monsterverse. He didn’t add a single thing to the movie’s story OR its plot.

Say what you will about Ford, but at least he contributed to the narrative. Tom was just kind of there. The guy didn’t even track anything.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Spuro wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:44 am

As far as the Oxygen Destroyer goes, while it definitely could have been executed better, it was the overall best choice for serving the story. Look at it this way: Godzilla and Ghidorah are fighting, mankind wants to kill them both, and you need something to serve as mankind being reckless and arrogant. Here are your choices:
1. Oxygen Destroyer: self explanatory name and does not need that much exposition.
2. Anti-Nuclear bacteria: would have made the criticism of pro-nuclear narrative more valid
3. Nuclear weapon: Ditto for number 2.
4. Real life biological or chemical weapon: Would have portrayed Godzilla as being susceptible to conventional man made weaponry
5. Movie created weapon: Would have needed more screen time to explain it's effects.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Godzilloide
Ronin

Post by Godzilloide »

Reminder that Behemot is actually a tapir rather an elephant

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Godzilloide wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:34 pm Reminder that Behemot is actually a tapir rather an elephant
I took Behemoth more as a mammoth/ground sloth hybrid.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 am
Godzilloide wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:34 pm Reminder that Behemot is actually a tapir rather an elephant
I’d include chalicotheres as well

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Spuro wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:17 am IMO Tom Hiddleson’s character is the worst main protagonist of the Monsterverse. He didn’t add a single thing to the movie’s story OR its plot.

Say what you will about Ford, but at least he contributed to the narrative. Tom was just kind of there. The guy didn’t even track anything.
Oh dang, I totally forgot about Hiddleston's character, you're right!

I will say though, that I consider Dr. Stanton in this movie to be the worst character in the Monsterverse. All those cringy one liners pretty much ruined the film for me.

LindenHS
Monarch Researcher

Post by LindenHS »

Anguirus wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:42 pm
Spuro wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:17 am IMO Tom Hiddleson’s character is the worst main protagonist of the Monsterverse. He didn’t add a single thing to the movie’s story OR its plot.

Oh dang, I totally forgot about Hiddleston's character, you're right!

I will say though, that I consider Dr. Stanton in this movie to be the worst character in the Monsterverse. All those cringy one liners pretty much ruined the film for me.
That’s a funny way of spelling Sam Coleman.

Added in 5 minutes 6 seconds:
Monke wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:56 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 am
I’d include chalicotheres as well
Same family tree as tapir actually!
Did a tweet about that awhile back.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Driscoll23Ja ... 6413803529

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LindenHS wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:00 pm
Anguirus wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 3:42 pm I will say though, that I consider Dr. Stanton in this movie to be the worst character in the Monsterverse. All those cringy one liners pretty much ruined the film for me.
That’s a funny way of spelling Sam Coleman.
Both were pretty annoying.

The worst line (for me, personally) will always be Serizawa's "really long fortune cookie" line, though. On my 2nd and 3rd theatrical viewings I always chose that scene to have a bathroom break.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat May 21, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Oh God, that fortune cookie joke was terrible. Probably my least favorite scene in the Monsterverse. I honestly don't remember Sam Coleman, so I doubt I minded him much. But I'll have to rewatch again.