Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by Terasawa »

r/Godzilla is a super casual portion of the fandom.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:15 am r/Godzilla is a super casual portion of the fandom.
—which is why it’s the most general place and the best thing place to see what the popular opinion(s) is
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:42 am
Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:15 am r/Godzilla is a super casual portion of the fandom.
—which is why it’s the most general place and the best thing place to see what the popular opinion(s) is
Vakanai asked where the Godzilla fandom was represented and you answered Reddit. I disagree because I don't think a group which seems to be primarily casual (vs. hardcore) fans best represents a fandom.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Qr2bJx

Just so you know, Dopepope posted several pieces of official concept art of Titanus Tiamat. And yes, it's official and approved by Legendary. It seems that they were created for KOTM (since Dopepope tagged Mike Dougherty in his instagram post) and later recycled for Godzilla: Dominion.
Last edited by Vandarker on Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Very cool. Dopepeope is a very talented creator so that doesn't surprise me. I wonder what role Tiamat would have had in film? Probably just another titan that would have appeared in the montage.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:38 pm Most of the community outside of TK lol, I've seen nothing but praise for KOTM outside of those looking for Citizen Kane
There seems to be a bit of a gap in how I see KOTM thought of here Vs. outside of TK. Its generally better received outside. Even though TK as a whole is more harsh, I also think that those that dislike the films just make their voices heard a lot more. There's a few people that if I see their names pop up on a TK reply email I think "this guy is about to blast the MV" and I'm usually right. There seems to be a real hatred of the MV by some here where as outside of here its generally a lot more positive.

I think the MV hasn't been perfect but I'm not going to put it down every chance I get. In general spending time being negative about something you don't like seems like a waste of time and I'd rather focus on things I enjoy. We can live in a world where you can enjoy Ishiro Honda films and Mike Dougherty films.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:31 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:38 pm Most of the community outside of TK lol, I've seen nothing but praise for KOTM outside of those looking for Citizen Kane
There seems to be a bit of a gap in how I see KOTM thought of here Vs. outside of TK. Its generally better received outside. Even though TK as a whole is more harsh, I also think that those that dislike the films just make their voices heard a lot more. There's a few people that if I see their names pop up on a TK reply email I think "this guy is about to blast the MV" and I'm usually right. There seems to be a real hatred of the MV by some here where as outside of here its generally a lot more positive.

I think the MV hasn't been perfect but I'm not going to put it down every chance I get. In general spending time being negative about something you don't like seems like a waste of time and I'd rather focus on things I enjoy. We can live in a world where you can enjoy Ishiro Honda films and Mike Dougherty films.
I absolutely agree, 100%.

I feel while the MV may have some issues here and there, it's really found its footing. As a huge DC fan i see WB absolutely fumbling the current DCEU, same with Disney/Star Wars. So it feels really good to see the big G man (and the big monke) I grew up on hitting a peak globally, Legendary knows exactly how to release a blockbuster.

It's also become the definitive introduction for newer people (friends and family usually), who might not have had an interest in older suitmation.

But yeah general reception is much more positive outside of TK, which is a surprise, but a welcome one.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:19 am

I feel while the MV may have some issues here and there, it's really found its footing. As a huge DC fan i see WB absolutely fumbling the current DCEU, same with Disney/Star Wars. So it feels really good to see the big G man (and the big monke) I grew up on hitting a peak globally, Legendary knows exactly how to release a blockbuster.

It's also become the definitive introduction for newer people (friends and family usually), who might not have had an interest in older suitmation.

But yeah general reception is much more positive outside of TK, which is a surprise, but a welcome one.
My little brother and his cousin came over the other day. He's 6 and his cousin is 7. I was shuffling through movies they could watch on Vudu and IMMEDIATELY when they said GvK they got super excited and told me they wanted ti watch it. That made me so happy to see the younger generation getting hyped about the movie. They immediately started arguing about who was better and also started arguing about whether Godzilla lives in the water or not. (My brother's mom came in a few minutes later and said she saw the movie and it was so "cheesy".)

After the movie I showed them my X Plus collection and they were all about it. The Monsterverse. Bringing families together in the name of Godzilla.
SpaceG92 wrote:

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:58 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:19 am

My little brother and his cousin came over the other day. He's 6 and his cousin is 7. I was shuffling through movies they could watch on Vudu and IMMEDIATELY when they said GvK they got super excited and told me they wanted ti watch it. That made me so happy to see the younger generation getting hyped about the movie. They immediately started arguing about who was better and also started arguing about whether Godzilla lives in the water or not. (My brother's mom came in a few minutes later and said she saw the movie and it was so "cheesy".)

After the movie I showed them my X Plus collection and they were all about it. The Monsterverse. Bringing families together in the name of Godzilla.
HELL. YEAH!

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Could Godzilla have eaten some of King Ghidorah's heads in King of the Monsters movie if he gets hungry?

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

If Godzilla's instinct (and stomach) would drive him to eat and since it has been revealed that director Mike Dougherty originally planned for Godzilla to just eat Ghidorah completely before Toho suggesting the "barbecue" ending.
Last edited by Tyrannoraptor on Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Could Godzilla have eaten some of King Ghidorah's heads in King of the Monsters movie if he gets hungry?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrannoraptor wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:57 am If Godzilla's instinct (and stomach) would drive him to eat and since it has been revealed that director Mike Dougherty originally planned for Godzilla to just eat Ghidorah completely before Toho suggesting the "barbecue" ending.
There was zero reason to make a separate thread for a rather pointless and incoherent question.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Still boggles my mind how this is the only MonsterVerse movie that didn’t connect with audiences. I still hold firm to the belief that early marketing + being caught in the middle of a ton of competition plus the hype post-Endgame is what did this movie in.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:16 pm Still boggles my mind how this is the only MonsterVerse movie that didn’t connect with audiences. I still hold firm to the belief that early marketing + being caught in the middle of a ton of competition plus the hype post-Endgame is what did this movie in.
Everyone has their reasons. That's just how opinions work.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I think KotM is the easiest film to enjoy as a Godzilla fan that just throws expectations out the window and enjoying it for what it is. Like GFW or something. What the entry lacks in sophistication, character development, and consistent fight scenes, it has in soul. The spirit of a Godzilla movie is definitely here even if it falls short in many areas. Something that say, G98 doesn't have.

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I still absolutely love this film, it’s honestly become my favorite Godzilla movie of all time. The best most well realized version of King Ghidorah to me ever, Godzilla looks amazing and there’s a great moment between him and Serizawa that again makes the Monsterverse Legendary Godzilla the best version of the character, Rodan and Mothra both look terrific and have memorable sequences (I also love how Mothra is tied to Godzilla) and the final battle between Ghidorah and Godzilla to me is a love letter for my lifelong long and passion for it all, a wet dream of you dare say.

The humans are a little frustrating but from an acting standpoint Millie Bobbie Brown, Vera Farmiga, Kyle Chandler and Charles Dance were all very good along with Serizawa who I mentioned earlier.

Can’t say enough how much I still beam thinking about moments from this movie. The silence and vibe still being maintained whenever Godzilla shows up even in the artic and the usage of the classic Godzilla theme when he rises up with the power from the nuke after Serizawa’s sacrifice is unforgettable.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

Yeah this movie was just an absolute blast. My fiance and my non-godzilla fan best friend both enjoyed this movie the most out of the entire series
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I love this movie on paper more than I do in reality.

The sum of its parts is less than what it should be.

Great monster designs. Check. But we rarely see them fully presented on screen.

Amazing soundtrack. Check. But it’s presentation is often subdued in the film. Beaten down by a bombastic audio track. Sound effects, roars, etc. make the music sound faint, and soft, when it should be operatic and John Williams-esque in nature.

More kaiju action. Check. But the cuts are fast…the fights are obscured in weather and destruction effects and there aren’t a lot of tension or character building moments. Every happens like it was meant to be featured in a trailer, but there’s little build up. G and KG’s fight is just highlight after highlight. There’s not connective cohesion we just smash cut in to see something great and then it’s done. Which makes the whole thing feel very unsatisfying and empty in my mind.

The human cast. They’re fine. I think this movie has some of the worst humor of the bunch but it’s not a show stopper. Serizawa is great but he’s not given enough to do.

Anyways. This is probably my least favorite of the MV bunch but it should have been my favorite if that makes any sense.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Watched this again recently. Still my least favorite of the MV but I don't have BARAGONBREH hatred for it in my heart. One thing that I had forgotten was all those newspaper clippings at the end went NOWHERE. Zero follow up! Disappointing!
SpaceG92 wrote:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:34 pm Watched this again recently. Still my least favorite of the MV but I don't have BARAGONBREH hatred for it in my heart. One thing that I had forgotten was all those newspaper clippings at the end went NOWHERE. Zero follow up! Disappointing!
Yeah, that's true! I honestly didn't even realize that we NEVER got any indication about that mech that Monarch was supposedly building on Skull Island. Or the Mothra egg. I think the only piece of media that expands on that is the Godzilla Dominion comic which YMMV on whether or not that counts.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:16 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:34 pm Watched this again recently. Still my least favorite of the MV but I don't have BARAGONBREH hatred for it in my heart. One thing that I had forgotten was all those newspaper clippings at the end went NOWHERE. Zero follow up! Disappointing!
Yeah, that's true! I honestly didn't even realize that we NEVER got any indication about that mech that Monarch was supposedly building on Skull Island. Or the Mothra egg. I think the only piece of media that expands on that is the Godzilla Dominion comic which YMMV on whether or not that counts.
Do we know why they didn't follow up on those newspapers items? Any behind the scenes info?
SpaceG92 wrote: