Possibilities post-G14 (outside Legendary Franchise)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: More Jappaneese movies after u.s. reboot?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I don't think we'll see japanese movies for a while.

Isn't Toho really involved as producers with this movie? To make sure it's done right?

If it's done right, and is successful, there's no reason for toho to make another movie to redeem the character after a shit stain.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

If the film is a success, I would expect that Toho would focus on sequels to the 2014 film rather than make their own separate series of films.
I can easily see GODZILLA spawning at least one or two more sequels.

DesuGojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by DesuGojiFan »

[quote="Mr. MADNESS"]I hope Toho don't make another G movie for a long time. They don't know what to do whit Godzilla or how to handle him anymore.[/quote]
You sir, are an idiot.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Legion1979 wrote:
DesuGojiFan wrote:
Mr. MADNESS wrote:I hope Toho don't make another G movie for a long time. They don't know what to do whit Godzilla or how to handle him anymore.
You sir, are an idiot.
How is he an idiot? He's actually right.
Whats wrong exactly with getting new stuff even if its not for awhile?

Please give me some valid reasons why Toho shouldnt do anymore godzilla movies?
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think some people feel like Toho can't pull off a good Godzilla movie after Final Wars. I think Kitamura is too blame on Final Wars since Toho give him so much control and let him wasted over 40 million on the movie for nothing.
Exactly. All Toho has to do is hire smart directors. If they are making Godzilla movies on Paranormal Activity like budgets then theres no problem. Itll be interesting though if Legendary's trilogy (im assuming) is a massive hit money wise then what'll happen with the rights....maybe they will want to keep doing more American Godzilla movies? Who knows! The future is VERY bright for us fans!

knockinrockin
G-Grasper

Post by knockinrockin »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
gatorzilla wrote:

Because Godzilla is not profitable right now.

They cant make a movie "just because;" it doesnt work like that. They need to be sure the movie can earn more than what it cost them to make it. Otherwise, they LOSE money.

Toho is a business, not a vending machine.
Final Wars has something to along the line... One of the most failing and bad Godzilla films... NO offense
DeadpoolsbetterThanU wrote:
Orgasmatron wrote:we finally tried anal and she said she would have it again
Now you live up to that user name of yours!

Shadow wrote:
Chris55 wrote:5'1
640lbs

:lol: Wow, you should get outside sometime, that's if you get fit through the door.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
gatorzilla wrote:

Because Godzilla is not profitable right now.

They cant make a movie "just because;" it doesnt work like that. They need to be sure the movie can earn more than what it cost them to make it. Otherwise, they LOSE money.

Toho is a business, not a vending machine.
How is it not profitable? A lot of the merchandise lately has been doing very well.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

TOHO is technically working with LP, so if the LP series is a hit, we will be getting Japanese films since the LP series is a managed Japanese-American co-production.

I like the idea of the comics, but I couldn't find anywhere to buy them....I might just purchase them via Comixology. Space reasons and because frankly, I got no space for real comics or much of anything else.

zilla-x
Samurai

Post by zilla-x »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
gatorzilla wrote:
How is it not profitable? A lot of the merchandise lately has been doing very well.
One toy line. A single, overhyped toy line (with a lot of issues, including their biggest piece being a disaster) that is more or less aimed at the U.S. market. That's all there is right now.

Merchandise will always sell, because there will always be fans who want to buy that merchandise. But those alone cant carry an entire movie, let alone a series of movies.

I think some of you live in La-La-Land, as my mom likes to say, when it comes to things like this.

And some of you live in piss and moan land where your goal seems to make every happy optimistic fan as miserable as you. Guess what? Godzilla IS popular still hence why the movie is riding a pretty big hype train. I love how some of these fans are so butt hurt over the success of the MonsterArts line STILL

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

Legion1979 wrote:
Truth is, Godzilla IS popular to a certain extent, especially with the fans in the US who eat up everything with the character's face on it. But at this point it goes without saying that his popularity in Japan right now is at an all-time low and has been for years. The vinyl line is dead. When was the last time we got hyper figures and gashapons? How often does Marmit, M-1 and Marusan do new Toho sculpts? The Toho blu-rays were discontinued. We've got MonsterArts and X-Plus, two lines aimed at harcore collectors...and...that's about it. There's no reason for Toho to make another Godzilla movie of their own. If the LP movie succeeds, Toho will just let LP keep making more films. Toho will profit and they won't have to lift a finger. If the LP film fails...no more Godzilla movies. This isn't 1999 anymore, kids. There hasn't been a true blockbuster Japanese Godzilla film since 1995.
I think there are a few other factors too. Right now Japan's economy is still a mess from what I've seen online. Japan's culture right now is also more into Superheroes and cute cuddly stuff. It differs from ours.

For example DBZ originated from Japan yet its pretty dead over there too. Itll be interesting to see how that new movie does.

I think the LP movie will be just fine and if its a hit? I am perfectly fine with America taking over the franchise.
Never know maybe Warner Bros or Disney will try to permanently buy the rights ;) :lol:

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

gatorzilla wrote:Japan's culture right now is also more into Superheroes and cute cuddly stuff. It differs from ours.
"Japan is into superheroes."
"It's different than the US."
... What?

Anyway, G2K and Legion are right. We can be excited all we want. But we needto be reasonable with out expectations as well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'm less concerned about whether we will get more Toho films, and more concerned about how the LP film(s) may affect the use of practical effects in the franchise (e.g. suits & miniatures).

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
gatorzilla wrote:Japan's culture right now is also more into Superheroes and cute cuddly stuff. It differs from ours.
... What?
I mean that they are into heroes and not villains or villain like characters. For example Darth Vader is popular here where in Japan he wouldnt be because he is a villain

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

gatorzilla wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
... What?
I mean that they are into heroes and not villains or villain like characters. For example Darth Vader is popular here where in Japan he wouldnt be because he is a villain
Because movies like Iron Man, Batman, Thor, Spiderman, The Avengers just flop bigtime over here.

lol dude, we are in the middle of a superhero crave over here.
Lets just hope that the new Godzilla movie stomps it out. *see what I did there*
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

ScootaVaran wrote:
Because movies like Iron Man, Batman, Thor, Spiderman, The Avengers just flop bigtime over here.

Lets just hope that the new Godzilla movie stomps it out. *see what I did there*
Not even close to what i was saying but ill leave it there.

Its going to be interesting watching the international box office when Godzilla comes out

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

There's a new DBZ movie coming...and yes well even Ultraman has been waning in the years recently, however the movie do pretty well and Ultra kaiju are everywhere. I think to get Japan back into Godzilla is the Legendary film or maybe two or thee coproductions. That could help everyone.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

gatorzilla wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:

Not even close to what i was saying but ill leave it there.

Its going to be interesting watching the international box office when Godzilla comes out
If I misinterpreted what you were saying then just tell me what you meant. When i'm wrong..I'm wrong. 8-)
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Sachiel
Monarch Researcher

Post by Sachiel »

The closest thing to Japanese monster movies that we're likely to get are going to be the Evangelion and super robot anime movies. The Japanese movie going public just doesnt seem to want to see another Japanese monster movie again. Plus lets face it, Japanese live-action special effects heavy movies just dont seem to work anymore. Most have terrible CGI and strapped for cash budgets and time limits.

I'd rather LP continue with the Godzilla license than Toho.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

To be fair, the last couple Ultraman movies had really good special effects, especially the CGI.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again; should the opportunity ever arise, I would love to see a Tsuburaya Prod. take on Godzilla.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

...Because they wouldn't want to, or because Toho wouldn't let them, do you think?