Possibilities post-G14 (outside Legendary Franchise)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Re: What would the success of this movie bring?

Post by bananaoil »

Crocodile wrote:I like how that article ignores the fact Bob Kane admitted LONG ago, Zorro was an inspiration for Batman.
That's one of the problems with Cracked. When it's too busy trying to be funny, it glazes over facts.
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

bananaoil wrote:
Crocodile wrote:I like how that article ignores the fact Bob Kane admitted LONG ago, Zorro was an inspiration for Batman.
That's one of the problems with Cracked. When it's too busy trying to be funny, it glazes over facts.
Depends on the writer of the article. I don't think most of their articles are funny, but I do think they are entertaining/enlightening reads. Hell, they even have an article on Godzilla
http://www.cracked.com/funny-86-godzilla/

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Chris55 wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Chris55 wrote:He didn't like the Hesiei series either. Thought the battles were boring.
What's he think of the Millennium series?

I didn't ask. I remember he said when he saw G54, he didn't know what to think of it and Toho told him and others not to tell people how the effects were done. Fooled people into thinking it was real or something
Kind of like when The Lost World came out, people thought they were real dinosaurs.

KaijuSapian
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuSapian »

alienhulk2099 wrote:@Lord Gappa:

http://www.cracked.com/article_17299_6- ... fs_p2.html

Scroll down to number 1. Hell, even Superman is a ripoff!
You guys... there's a difference between a being ripoff and being derivative. Pretty much every character or story is derivative in some way or another. This true with mythology, religious texts... even Shakespeare.... even Jesus Christ.
Legion1979 wrote:Giant monsters can do anything they want to.

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

Tyler wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:Kind of like when The Lost World came out, people thought they were real dinosaurs.
Doyle is responsible for the first rick roll.

Errr...., Doyle wrote the novel the 1925 film was based on. Marion Fairfax wrote the screenplay, but more importantly, it was Willis O'Brien's stop motion animation that wowed everyone.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

bananaoil wrote:
Tyler wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:Kind of like when The Lost World came out, people thought they were real dinosaurs.
Doyle is responsible for the first rick roll.

Errr...., Doyle wrote the novel the 1925 film was based on. Marion Fairfax wrote the screenplay, but more importantly, it was Willis O'Brien's stop motion animation that wowed everyone.
When the film was made, Doyle went around and showed unsuspecting people footage of the dinosaurs and tricked them into thinking they were watching footage of actual dinosaurs. He did it to hype the film.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

zilla103192 wrote:When the film was made, Doyle went around and showed unsuspecting people footage of the dinosaurs and tricked them into thinking they were watching footage of actual dinosaurs. He did it to hype the film.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. He showed O'Brien's test reel to the Society of American Magicians at a meeting. He didn't make a claim one way or the other, and it was The New York Times that made a fuss, if you can call it that.

Breakdown
Keizer

Hypothetically speaking..

Post by Breakdown »

If this film where to bomb, would it mean the end of Godzilla in the US? GINO already delivered a crippling hit to the franchise, if this bombs will it be the killing blow?
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ZillaEra
GPN Volunteer

Re: Hypothetically speaking..

Post by ZillaEra »

Possibly so, atleast for awhile. Until the day Toho goes out of business I don't see Godzilla going away forever anywhere. But I'd say this movie not doing well would put them in a bad state as far as Godzilla's marketability. Questions like this make me think of G98's potential and how it was squandered :(
AYBABTU.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

As others are saying, it would for a while. The market has to speak for itself, but also attests to the quality of the movie itself. I have no doubt that a good quality Godzilla movie would make plenty of money in the United States and globally.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Will Godzilla go away forever if the films bomb's, but you could be 80% sure it will be the last American attempt that;s for sure... ''I'm still surprised Legendary picked up the right'd after Sony's mess an Toho allowed them'' but rest assured if it bombs Toho will continue to leave Godzillla in retirement, or release a film maybe once every 5 or 8 years.... but def not like they did after 2000,

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think Toho trust Legendary because of Nolan's Batman reboots and they pick up the rights nearly a decade later. Even with GINO, it seems like Toho only care about was making money off of the film.
Just because 2 films by Legendary happened to be good doesnt mean every single one after that will. Gareth Edwards isnt Christopher Nolan.
ImageImage

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

Hasn't it occur to anyone that this film is already in a bad state and may never even come to light?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Ive already accepted the fact that this movie isnt going to be made.
ImageImage

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

tenup wrote:Hasn't it occur to anyone that this film is already in a bad state and may never even come to light?
The thought has probably occured to everyone. But that doesn't mean it's the case. The film WILL happen. As many of us have said many times: Legendary Pictures would not spend all the money to get the rights and then NOT put out a film. It will happen eventually. We just have to be patient.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

I've honestly lost my patients with this. I was patient with Tri star and the wait was hardly rewarded (1990-1998). It's just the fact that nothing has been official on this film since Gareth Edwards was announced as director a year ago. Makes me wonder what the hell does the director do all this time while a script is being worked on?

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

Tyler wrote:Godzilla will never go away forever.
The man speaks the truth!
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

^Um, wut.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

Godzilla will be in limbo for 10 years,then a new movie will be put in the works.
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

More Jappaneese movies after u.s. reboot?

Post by TyrantGojira »

We all know what happened after GINO, Toho fought bact with Godzilla 2000. Even if the new rebbot is sucsessful in reviews and box office, do you think Toho will make more Godzilla Movies?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"