Possibilities post-G14 (outside Legendary Franchise)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Possibilities post-G14 (outside Legendary Franchise)

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Upon my return to these forums after a long break, I'm gonna throw something up here that I've been thinking about... Supposing LPG earns Godzilla some international popularity, and Toho makes more Godzilla movies, does anyone see them getting released theatrically stateside? I mean, since 1998, TriStar (the perpetrators of G98) has released the bulk of the series here in the US. Now if a company whose remake doesn't suck and who actually cares about the character and the series does a good job, perhaps theatrical distribution Stateside for Toho's output could be possible. I'm talking new (good) dubs, decent publicity, like what Godzilla 2000 got but better. Anyone hoping for this?

Also, what about merchandising after the film is released? General audience reaction to the Godzilla character?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Possibilities post-G12...

Post by JVM »

Well I'd say it's likely as long as LPG doesn't totally bomb, the next Toho-made Godzilla movie'll likely be released theatrically, ala G2K after G98. Not sure about afterward.

But if LPG is successful, there'll be a whole new American franchise going about.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

^^Yeah, that's the most likely scenario, but I don't see this movie being a blockbuster. It's Godzilla. This is America. I'm hoping for moderate success to justify distribution here (dubbing and editing is cheaper than new movies), and good revenue generated in Japan so Toho will begin making them again in the first place.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:^^Yeah, that's the most likely scenario, but I don't see this movie being a blockbuster. It's Godzilla. This is America. I'm hoping for moderate success to justify distribution here (dubbing and editing is cheaper than new movies), and good revenue generated in Japan so Toho will begin making them again in the first place.
If you don't mind me asking, wouldn't a blockbuster make you even happier? :?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:^^Yeah, that's the most likely scenario, but I don't see this movie being a blockbuster. It's Godzilla. This is America. I'm hoping for moderate success to justify distribution here (dubbing and editing is cheaper than new movies), and good revenue generated in Japan so Toho will begin making them again in the first place.
Toho doesn't want to make Godzilla movies anymore.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

It depends on the theatrical success of the LP film. I think a lack of success or a massive success could induce a theatrical release IF TOHO does indeed make another Godzilla film.

I would say, though, probably not.
Proud father, husband, and son.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

A japanese special effects film cannot compete globally. At this point, Tohos not selling out; they're trying to insure the survival of one of their major keystone properties and they cannot do it alone.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that Godzillas portrayal as a character is in safe hands. All that's needs to be fretted is the story, tone, and director.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Legion1979 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:If its a success (Which I'm hoping it will) then we will likely see sequels, and Toho will likely make a new Godzilla movie when LP is done with their movie series.
But that might not be for a long time. I can easily see Toho allowing the LP version to be THE Godzilla of this generation.
That won't be a bad thing, Sooner or Later Toho will once again start making Godzilla movies. For right now the Godzilla Franchise is hanging on thread's for survival. To be honest this Franchise need's a fresh New Start or else it could actually start to crumble an fade completely for people outside the fan-base.

Godzilla 1998 did damage, an also Toho rushing to bring Godzilla back might not have helped as much as they were hoping. If Legendary Pictures Godzilla is a success an Spawns a Trilogy of film's then i can see Toho allowing Legendary to handle Godzilla for the next 10 years. Then possibly give Godzilla a 5 - 10 year rest again an bring him back better then ever.

This is something Toho wanted with Sony/Tri-Star's Godzilla, an is probably one of the few reason's Toho has allowed Godzilla to be handed out to another American Film company an also IDW Comic's or something. This is Godzilla's second an last chance to appeal to the Western Audiences.. If it fails.. Consider this to be the last American Godzilla film we will ever see... if or at-least for the next 20+ year's that's being a minimum.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Am I the only one who thinks, just maybe, it's a good thing Godzilla might get to finally retire?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

JVM wrote:Am I the only one who thinks, just maybe, it's a good thing Godzilla might get to finally retire?
If your speaking about right now? Yes... maybe decades later then No. Even if Legendary Pictures get's to make Godzilla movies for the next 10 years an Toho from then on only makes a Godzilla movie every 5 or 10 year's id be quite content. I kind of hope Godzilla never Officially retires permanently but get's a quality film every now an again.

At-least i hope he makes it to 100 year's. He's coming up to 60 soon so another 40 year's an then i might reconsider my answer depending on the quality of films being released at the time.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Frankly, since Toho really gets Godzilla, and LP makes such great movies, my dream scenario would be collaborations. But one movie every few years from Toho would be the best. Toho would put some time into making them, nearly assuring a good product, and they wouldn't wear it out so quickly.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

^^True, for the short term. I can't see them selling off their biggest cash-cow indefinitely.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

I'm pretty sure if this film is a success, we'll see sequels.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

^Agreed. Toho is a COMPANY. They think they can make more cash from the LP movie than their own, which means they do less work.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Well yeah, but not forever. Still, my hope is, if they don't resume it themselves eventually, they'll license it to Japanese talent that's worked on it in the past, let them make *good* Godzilla movies, and rake in the licensing fees.
Hmmm. I wish they'd "license" it to Shusuke Kaneko.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

KiryuFreak
Monsterland Worker

After the movie?

Post by KiryuFreak »

What happens after the movie? Will Toho lurk back into the shadows afterward, or will they continue making more G films?

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Re: After the movie?

Post by Darkness »

If the movie is a success, they'll sit back and let Legendary do whatevery they like with sequels and what not. If the movie fails, they'll sit back and shelve Godzilla for years and years and wait for interest in the series or kaiju in general to pick up again.

KiryuFreak
Monsterland Worker

Post by KiryuFreak »

:O That clears it up. But wouldn't people want more if the movie's epic?

KiryuFreak
Monsterland Worker

Post by KiryuFreak »

I see.

KaneLocke
EDF Instructor

Post by KaneLocke »

Legion1979 wrote:
Darkness wrote:If the movie is a success, they'll sit back and let Legendary do whatevery they like with sequels and what not. If the movie fails, they'll sit back and shelve Godzilla for years and years and wait for interest in the series or kaiju in general to pick up again.
Quoted for absolute truth. The LP film being successful is not going to mean more Toho Godzilla. Get over that right now.
I don't deal in absolutes.

So I suffice with, I don't care. I'd like to see more films, sure, but I'm happy with all the movies we've already got.

... except Godzilla's Revenge. I won't argue it's merits; I just don't like the movie. Not my style.
Proud father, husband, and son.