Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Are you excited?

Yes!
86%
Meh
11%
No thank you
3%

Total votes: 313

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

Post by G2000 »

MorgansTShirt wrote:I still think this movie was pretty lame, but maybe I just have a crappy opinion of it. I'll accept that.
Jesus H. Christ, why do you keep putting yourself down? Unless you're being sarcastic, you've literally been apologizing for not liking a movie all that much. That's ridiculous. You're allowed to have your own opinion. I might not necessarily agree with all your points (though I heartily agree with some of them, like Brie Larson being one of the worst parts of the movie, and the Vietnam War setting is mostly just for aesthetics rather than actually having anything to say).
Last edited by G2000 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

G2000 wrote:
MorgansTShirt wrote:I still think this movie was pretty lame, but maybe I just have a crappy opinion of it. I'll accept that.
Jesus H. Christ, why do you keep putting yourself down? Unless you're being sarcastic, you've literally been apologizing for not liking a movie all that much. That's ridiculous. You're allowed to have your own opinion. I might not necessarily agree with all your points (though I heartily agree with some of them, like Brie Larson being one of the worst parts of the movie, and the Vietnam War setting is mostly just for aesthetics rather than actually having anything to say).
Sorry... Very shy and easily intimidated. Social media isn't meant for me, but I'm such a glutton for punishment that I end up chiming in when I feel strongly about something.

I think my harshness toward the film was a result of having posted shortly after seeing it, rather than letting my thoughts and feelings settle a while. I still groan at the very thought of ever watching this movie again, but in the end it's at least entertaining, and I can understand why monster fans like it... But on the subject of monsters, damn, I really wish the film went with the concept artwork of the leafwings which portrayed them as vaguely mammalian death-rays.

Maybe I should watch Princess Mononoke soon in response to this film. While watching my mind kept wandering back to Mononoke, which I think shared at least a few similarities (if my memory doesn't elude me) yet gave me better satisfaction somehow.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mononoke was one of the inspirations for Skull Island's environment IIRC.

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

UltramanGoji wrote:Mononoke was one of the inspirations for Skull Island's environment IIRC.
That would explain a lot!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MorgansTShirt wrote: Sorry... Very shy and easily intimidated. Social media isn't meant for me, but I'm such a glutton for punishment that I end up chiming in when I feel strongly about something.
*Sniff*....Mmmmm.....I smell fear.

Been a while.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote:
MorgansTShirt wrote: Sorry... Very shy and easily intimidated. Social media isn't meant for me, but I'm such a glutton for punishment that I end up chiming in when I feel strongly about something.

Been a while.
Quick someone wave a raw steak in front of BaragonBrehs cave and lure him out, we've got a live one
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:

Been a while.
Quick someone wave a raw steak in front of BaragonBrehs cave and lure him out, we've got a live one
Keep that Scarecrow-Riddler hybrid in the cave!!!

we're just busting chops
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:

Been a while.
Keep that Scarecrow-Riddler hybrid in the cave!!!

we're just busting chops
Bring the Godzilla Cave back from Zone Fighter!

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

UltramanGoji wrote:Mononoke was one of the inspirations for Skull Island's environment IIRC.
It's a shame Princess Mononoke only inspired the environment/creatures, because I just watched Mononoke this weekend and I think Skull Island could have been a much better movie if it had even half of its artful taste.

Yeah yeah, I know, most people are satisfied with monsters and explosions and guys slicing up pterodactyls with swords, and this is something I understand even though I'm not interested in those things by themselves. The problem I have with Kong isn't that it's a mindless action movie, it's that it's a mindless action movie that pretends to be thoughtful and relevant. I dislike movies that try to look bigger than they actually are.

Much like Mononoke, Kong is a somewhat gritty action-adventure fantasy film that deals with issues of war, vengeance, peace and understanding, and huge monsters representing nature that human beings have a complicated relationship with. Unlike Mononoke, I think Kong mostly exists to excite moviegoers with entertaining violence, sprinkled with pretentious morals that are immediately undermined by the nature of the film.

I think even the violence in Mononoke is more effective than the violence in Kong. While watching Kong I could enjoy maybe a couple moments where a monster does something really frightening, like the bamboo spider crossing through the forest and unexpectedly spearing a man through the throat, but I found very few of those scenes to be either compelling or thrilling. It felt to me like the writers just wanted to kill people in many different ways.

But with Mononoke, I feel as though every violent moment and every thrilling action scene was tastefully designed, like an arrow that was perfectly built, perfectly aimed, and perfectly fired to carry the movie forward and hit its mark. Even the subtle dark humor of its violence spoke a lot more, to me at least, such as the scenes when Ashitaka decapitates a few samurai with so much ease that both he and his enemies are utterly amazed, baffled, and horrified. I feel a sense of swiftly moving forward, and trying to reach a goal, while also keeping in mind the humanity of its characters, in all the action scenes and violence of Mononoke.

I apologize to anyone who might think I'm annoying for talking so much. I understand that Kong is a well-liked movie and that I'm being too harsh against it. All I want to do is share my thoughts, not tell people what they can or cannot like.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:06 am, edited 10 times in total.

gigaraptor99
Samurai

Post by gigaraptor99 »

The MonsterverseWatchalong continues tonight with Kong: Skull Island, director Jordan Vogt-Roberts will be there, maybe we get never before seen BTS stuff! :)

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/12 ... 4826062848
“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

''Mankind is poised midway between the gods and the beasts, that may have been true in Plotinus time, but clearly we've fallen quite a way since then."

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I bet, there was some cool stuff with the Godzilla viewing, not 100% if all of those concept art images were in the art book or at large size. It's an exciting experience for sure.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Jordan is live on Instagram joking about how he should be live tweeting right now lol
GO GO GOJI KUN

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Eh. This weeks watch was kind of lame though I love the film.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

king_ghidorah wrote:Eh. This weeks watch was kind of lame though I love the film.
Incredibly lackluster

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

king_ghidorah wrote:Eh. This weeks watch was kind of lame though I love the film.
Yeah, i agree, we didn't get as much of awesome content i thought we would.
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Gareth was definitely more into I think. Which is pretty surprising. I think I’d rather get Gareth back. He’s had plenty of time to relax after being burnt from G14 and Rogue One.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I read in Kong Unnmade that one draft according to Roberts was going to have living non-avian dinosaurs in some form. While I do like how it sets itself from other films by that, I do wonder what kind of dinosaurs they would be.

I do feel something like an Iguanodon or any other ornithopod would be a good fit, or an ankylosaur.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean we do know dinosaurs did live on the island in the not too distant past as evidenced by the giant Triceratops skull.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I mean we do know dinosaurs did live on the island in the not too distant past as evidenced by the giant Triceratops skull.
True, but that's besides the point.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

At the risk of necro'ing a thread, I am EXTREMELY glad Skull Island did one big thing no American Kong film has ever done before. Actually have the guts to make a King Kong movie that isn't a remake of the original or a sequel to the classic kong story. In some weird ways, the film actually takes a lot from the Toho kong films many don't quite notice. The natives being peaceful and largely friendly (if a bit understandably wary of outsiders at first), they got a largely friendly relationship with Kong instead of being fearful zealots, Kong being destructive but also for the most part benevolent, and other details. There's plenty of nods to the American Kong films, but I feel SKI following the Toho example and giving us a fully original story with the big ape, no strings to any New York ventures, was a massive breath of fresh air.