Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Are you excited?

Yes!
86%
Meh
11%
No thank you
3%

Total votes: 313

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kong: Skull Island (2017) (NO UNOFFICIAL PHOTOS)

Post by Leviarex »

Desghidorah wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm At the risk of necro'ing a thread, I am EXTREMELY glad Skull Island did one big thing no American Kong film has ever done before. Actually have the guts to make a King Kong movie that isn't a remake of the original or a sequel to the classic kong story.
You're pretty much preaching to the choir friend.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Leviarex wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:47 pm
Desghidorah wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm At the risk of necro'ing a thread, I am EXTREMELY glad Skull Island did one big thing no American Kong film has ever done before. Actually have the guts to make a King Kong movie that isn't a remake of the original or a sequel to the classic kong story.
You're pretty much preaching to the choir friend.
Excellent. I guess it's more upfront to my mind as I recently re-read LeMay's Unmade Kong movies book and the sheer number of unmade Kong remakes or sequels attempted for both the 33 and 76 film. Even the jokes about a sequel/prequel to the 05 version. The fact it took so long for an American film to actually up and do something original is kinda surreal.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Technically King Kong Lives was a new movie with Kong himself with a fresh story.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

GFAN198423 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:59 pm Technically King Kong Lives was a new movie with Kong himself with a fresh story.
Still a sequel. I was meaning something that
A. Wasn't a remake of the 33 film
B. A sequel or attempt at a prequel to a remake

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kong has had many fresh stories throughout the years, but most of them follow a very similar structure and are partial remakes of each other. Kong Skull Island is the only film where Kong itself is not the goal or intends to be captured. There's a twist on it though, with Packard trying to kill Kong as well, not capture him. But that being said, this is the first film in a while where the characters aren't clones of the original. Loosely, John Goodman's character is similar to Carl Dunham, but not really. Allison Brie is no Fay Wray. All the stuff with both Packard and Marlow is fantastic.

I re-watched the film, and oh man it's refreshing to see a monster flick that doesn't rely on a gigantic world ending cataclysm to end on. There was something to seeing Kong just fight Ramarak (or the big skull crawler), and win. Being discussed elsewhere, but despite the slightly bloated cast, the film has actual characters that are pretty interesting. The film is also visually distinctive, and for once music fits in really well.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Was talking with my buddy about this movie and how dope it was Kong's entrance song is Paranoid. This led to us talking about the soundtrack, and even though it used Run thru the Jungle and Bad Moon Rising, you gotta give them props for skipping Fortunate Son!

Also, LSD, it was Brie Larson, not Allison Brie. That's a dangerous Community mixup right there :lol:
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Will watch Godzilla vs. Kong tomorrow evening son I'm trying to re-watch all the previous Monsterverse films and I'm on this one right now and damn does this movie shred.

I feel bad saying this as a Godzilla fan, but in regards to this series Kong's film is the one to beat.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just finished it as part 2 of my Monsterverse marathon. It was as good as last time I saw it! All of the characters were great but Hank in particular stole the show. The majority of jokes were funny, which I wish I could say for the Monsterverse films to follow. I love how the creatures of Skull Island were portrayed not as monsters but as dangerous animals and their designs were great, too. And the CGI is drop-dead gorgeous. Plus, the film connects really well to G14. Now, if there's a major issue with the film, it has to be the OST. It's very generic and definitely a step down from Desplat's score. However, the multitude of 70s-era songs make up for it. Overall, the movie's really good.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The visual aesthetic is what really draws me to KSI over the other MonsterVerse films. Roberts also liked to linger on his shots so you could really take them in, he let them "breathe".
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:42 am Roberts also liked to linger on his shots so you could really take them in, he let them "breathe".
The absence of that is one of KoTM's biggest flaws for me. There were plenty of great shots in that film but all of them pass too quickly.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

ElijahSky wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:59 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:42 am Roberts also liked to linger on his shots so you could really take them in, he let them "breathe".
The absence of that is one of KoTM's biggest flaws for me. There were plenty of great shots in that film but all of them pass too quickly.
I’m just seeing this after I posted about this very thing in the KOTM thread. Bravo. I agree completely

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

So can I post unofficial photos yet?
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla21 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:31 pm So can I post unofficial photos yet?
Only if you change your vote at the poll up top to indicate you're no longer excited for the movie. ;)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kong: Skull Island is now 5 years old! I’m currently 23 minutes into a celebratory rewatch.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Damn, has it really been 5 years already?! Jesus H. Christ. This was the first King Kong movie I ever watched in the theatre and I freaking loved it. I remember how stoked I was when I saw the post-credit scene.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I remember having no real expectations besides a mildly cool diversion. Imagine my shock that K:SI is still my favorite Monsterverse movie! What a picture.
It's such a gorgeous movie from stem to stern, and I love how much of a kaiju movie it is.
I was just thinking about Jordan Vogt-Roberts today, I hope he does more Monsterverse stuff soon. Until then I'm eagerly awaiting his take on Metal Gear Solid.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Gundam should be great too

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I remember now knowing what to expect going into this and enjoying it way more than I thought I would. I still like it as a fun monster movie, with some of the best stuff in the MV, but feel it's a little too kooky for its own good in places and has way too much going on with way too many characters. The 70s/Vietnam era setting has always been weird to me as well, I guess I just prefer the early 20th century for period Kong stories.

Pacfanweb
Monsterland Worker

Post by Pacfanweb »

Love Godzilla far more than Kong, but I felt, and still feel that KSI was the best "movie" of all the Monsterverse so far.