The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
tenup
G-Force Personnel

"VERY GROUNDED"=

Post by tenup »

At the Legendary Pictures Comic Con panel, director Gareth Edwards made it clear that he is taking the project seriously, and he wants to present Godzilla in a way that if it were to really happen. With that bit of info, I decided to try to interpret what a very grounded Godzilla movie means. So here are some ideas on what I expect the film to include:

-Convincing mutated beast including Godzilla of course (This means kaiju like Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla are out)
-Many casualties
-Looting
-Realistic army retaliation against the monsters and disorderly civilians(Again no Mechagodzilla or Gotanga)
-Lots of human drama relating to the event such as survivors having to avoid dangerous refugees, trying to find food and water that is not contaminated etc.
-This being a stand alone film from anything else that follows

I honestly can't see how Legendary Pictures plans to reboot the Godzilla series, but with this project being the focus for now, I doubt that if we do get a new series of Godzilla films courtesy of LP, that they will have any consistency to one another. I can imagine it being more like the Hulk films but not in a bad way. And it is possible that new directors will helm future Godzilla projects as well. The worst thing would be for LP to experiment and have fun with the Godzilla franchise because then you can expect things to get too silly.
Last edited by tenup on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ゴジラさん
Samurai

Re: "VERY GROUNDED"=

Post by ゴジラさん »

^No. People are just averse to actually using their brains and deciphering context.
Five Favorite Godzilla Films (not counting Gojira):
1. Mothra vs. Godzilla
2. GMK
3. Godzilla vs. Biollante
4. King Kong vs. Godzilla
5. Destroy All Monsters

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

To be clear, I'm in no way panicking about that statement. I'm all for a very grounded film. Gino was what it was because it was poorly executed not because it was very grounded. I do expect Anguirus and possibly Rodan but no space creatures for sure. Gino was a fun popcorn flick. I doubt that's what this Godzilla will be. I expect it will be more gripping and entertaining at the same time.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

I think you guys are panicking for no reason and should just wait for a synopsis and a trailer before determining how "grounded" or realistic it will be. Just let them do their film
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

^You can't compare the Avengers to Godzilla or anything else. Not even Dark Knight Rises could compare to it. Not that it means Avengers is better. When I think of fun when it comes to movies like Transformers, Avengers and Godzilla 98, I can only expect lots of bullshyt scenes where the lead characters survive these extreme chaotic events and crack jokes all the while its happening. I truely dont want much of that in this new Godzilla film. Battle LA is more like what I expect as far as tone but not as bland or cliche.

antovald20
Terminated
Terminated

Post by antovald20 »

I just hope it's not to big of a project for Gareth to handle. I mean he only did that one movie.
"Continuity gotta love it. :D"- antovald20

EVERY KAIJU FAN SHOULD CHECK THIS OUT! HIT THE LINK BELOW!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxd7cleqz74

GODZILLA VS GAMERA! THE ULTIMATE BATTLE IS FINALLY HERE! CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO SEE
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOl-amah8w

Shōbijin
GPN Volunteer

Post by Shōbijin »

It could just mean that the military won't have fancy sci-fi weapons like Maser Tanks and Dimension Portal Rays.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Tyler wrote:I don't get it, how was the Avengers any more fun or entertaining than Dark Knight Rises?
It's all a matter of opinion, man. I personally got more enjoyment out of the Avengers because it was more light-hearted and comic-bookish. That's not to say it's inherently more fun or entertaining, though.
Tyler wrote:They had different styles but were both good in the end so who cares?
Agreed. It's also silly that people act like if you enjoy one, you can't enjoy the other. They aren't opposing eachother. They're both enjoyable.
Tyler wrote:Godzilla really shouldn't be taking hints from superhero movies to begin with. I've said it should have more in common with the recent Star Trek and Planet of the Apes reboots.
Winna winna, chicken dinna! Everyone likes to draw comparisons between Godzilla and superhero movies (particularly Nolan's Batman trilogy here on TK). Godzilla isn't a superhero, so it's stupid to say "Godzilla should be like [insert superhero film here]." Godzilla is a giant monster. That means a lot of creature-based science fiction. If Legendary feels the need to draw inspiration from other franchises, it should be franchises that share more in common with Godzilla.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

The "VERY GROUNDED" has to be referring to the mood of the movie. And as LC said this could apply for only this movie, a sequel could have more
Spectacular foes for Godzilla to fight. But let's wait until a Synopsis or a trailer to be shown first.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

I don't mind a more grounded Godzilla movie. When Gareth said that, I had the impression that he was referencing the later Showa films as well as the Heisei films where things did get a bit out of control with space cockroaches, time travel, a human spirit inhabiting a giant mutated plant monster, and etc.

However, I can imagine King Ghidorah being incorporated into a grounded story by being discovered entombed after crashing to Earth thousands of years ago... then again, that's borderline cliche.

Anyways, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Gareth Edwards truly mean't by that statement.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I like the fact when Edwards said ''Grounded, Realistic approach'' everyone thought (oh no another GINO)

I'm sorry did we watch the same movie?

From the Military losing a 200 ft lizard not once but twice, to Zilla out-running copters but can't step on 1 fucking cab..The love story between Broderick an his blonde bimbo was ridiculous esp with a monster running around. If any other country in the world saw us lose a 200 ft monster not only once but twice in such a small area America would be the biggest joke ever.

GINO was anything but realistic or grounded.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

^Good observation Comablack. I don't get where that confusion comes from also. And anything that comes from Rolland Emmerich is far from grounded and remotely entertaining.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Drew Pearce to polish Godzilla script

Post by gatorzilla »

Drew Pearce brought on board to give the script a final polish before casting starts.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=68193

Edit- Casting to begin in 4 weeks.
Script is fine. Characters are just being changed to match the age of actors.
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Re: Drew Pearce to polish Godzilla script

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Phew. So not a total rewrite this late in the game.That would have really made me worried. Lots of writers means lots of effort, but also leads to some underwhelming scripts. Look at Cowboys and Aliens.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

I may have had unnaturally high expectations. I'm a pretty big fan of everyone involved in that movie, and what I got was disappointing.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

CommanderJoe
GPN Volunteer

Post by CommanderJoe »

Doing a polish is good and making sure the characters are older is a plus. :D Cowboys and Aliens was laughable. One of the most expensive flops in history and terrible. Waste of a great cast. Shame. Glad I only paid to see it at a discount cinema. $10 bucks for two people is not bad and my wife and I had a good laugh.

GodzillaIsCool
Interpol Agent

Post by GodzillaIsCool »

Cowboys and Aliens was a good idea, it was poorly executed. I just didn't give a crap if those characters lived or died.

ゴジラ
JXSDF Technician

Post by ゴジラ »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I remember reading that Superman Returns went through multiple rewrites and most people seem mixed about it. The critics like it but the general public seem to hated it.
That's because the public expected to see more Superman action, not a few scenes, and tons of talk. That was a given response. :lol:

And Hellspawn, its said within the article that Drew is only polishing the script so that the characters are aged to match the actors that LP are aiming for.

There's nothing to worry about, the script is finished and complete, its just being finalized within one specific area is all.

Eunectes
Gotengo Officer

Post by Eunectes »

What does Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes, and Drew Pearce have in common? Robert Downey Jr...

Please god.

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Hmm...So I guess that means that the characters were on the younger side of the fence?
From the sound of it all, LP probably didn't want to pull a Transformers, having mildly young actors, that sadly aren't able to completely sell themselves well during major moments of the film. Don't get me wrong, they worked well enough to the sell the films to a degree since they were blockbuster popcorn films. But still.

Anyway, hopefully any female actors chosen for Godzilla can literally act and aren't just pretty faces.