The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Monke
Interpol Agent

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by Monke »

Another example is in the Asia trailer where the male futo flys towards Godzilla and ultimately wasnt in the movie

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

xMx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:23 pm I am still hoping for a Godzilla and Kong teamup at the end.
Not everything needs to copy superheroes. Please keep it away from this film, I'm ok with it happening in potential future films though but let this film be about their fight and nothing more.

I'd rather this be more Alien vs. Predator/Freddy vs. Jason or the original 1962 film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:47 pm
xMx wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:23 pm I am still hoping for a Godzilla and Kong teamup at the end.
Not everything needs to copy superheroes. Please keep it away from this film, I'm ok with it happening in potential future films though but let this film be about their fight and nothing more.

I'd rather this be more Alien vs. Predator/Freddy vs. Jason or the original 1962 film.
Thomas Tull and the kids book has already all but confirmed a team up and Godzilla would not be copying a Superhero because of a team ulp it would be copying the orginal Godzilla films where he had team ups.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:46 pmThomas Tull and the kids book has already all but confirmed a team up and Godzilla would not be copying a Superhero because of a team ulp it would be copying the orginal Godzilla films where he had team ups.
All I ask then if that's the case is they execute it well, something like a mutual respect or out of survival notably just parting ways afterwards. That or something kind of like Godzilla and King Caesar in the 1974 film.

Still would have preferred if they saved this team-up for a potential future film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 12 times in total.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

Interestingly, the Total Film blurb makes it sound like
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla
joins another kaiju to tag team against another. It isn’t worded like monsters form a tag team against him...
Last edited by plasmabeam on Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

plasmabeam wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:41 pm Interestingly, the Total Film blurb makes it sound like
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla
joins another kaiju to tag team against another. It isn’t worded like monsters form a tag team against him...
I'd spoiler that just in case.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:20 am
plasmabeam wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:41 pm Interestingly, the Total Film blurb makes it sound like
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla
I'd spoiler that just in case.
Thanks. Spoilered.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Didn't Kotm already have team ups? Godzilla & Mothra vs KG & Rodan?
Although a kaiju Avengers type of movie could be interesting if done right, you have the top 5 most powerful Titans including Godzilla vs one big bad like the World Serpent.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

ultrazilla wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:42 am Didn't Kotm already have team ups? Godzilla & Mothra vs KG & Rodan?
Although a kaiju Avengers type of movie could be interesting if done right, you have the top 5 most powerful Titans including Godzilla vs one big bad like the World Serpent.
Yes but as I mentioned I wanted the movie just focusing on their fight akin to Alien vs. Predator/Freddy vs. Jason or the original 1962 film. Don't know why they couldn't have saved it and
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla
for a potential future film or made a Part II. It's called Godzilla vs. Kong for a reason after all. Doesn't need to copy Batman vs. Superman.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

There is an easy way to make a team up work while not being like BvS and still feature the title characters as legit adversaries to the end AND have a clear winner even while avoiding the death of either title character. Hope they can pull it off.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:09 am
ultrazilla wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:42 am Didn't Kotm already have team ups? Godzilla & Mothra vs KG & Rodan?
Yes but as I mentioned I wanted the movie just focusing on their fight akin to Alien vs. Predator/Freddy vs. Jason or the original 1962 film. Don't know why they couldn't have saved it and
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla
for a potential future film or made a Part II. It's called Godzilla vs. Kong for a reason after all. Doesn't need to copy Batman vs. Superman.
BvS copied the formula, GvK is not copying them. The original KKvsG had Godzilla as a villain now they have both become good guys. Good guys are usually tricked into fighting and then want to fight who ever tricked them.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pmBvS copied the formula, GvK is not copying them. The original KKvsG had Godzilla as a villain now they have both become good guys. Good guys are usually tricked into fighting and then want to fight who ever tricked them.
Kong exactly wasn't that heroic tbh in the 1962 film... :lol:

For example, taking the main character's sister hostage.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:18 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:16 pmBvS copied the formula, GvK is not copying them. The original KKvsG had Godzilla as a villain now they have both become good guys. Good guys are usually tricked into fighting and then want to fight who ever tricked them.
Kong exactly wasn't exactly that heroic tbh in the 1962 film... :lol:

For example, taking the main character's sister hostage.
Miguel didn't say Kong was the hero in 1962. There is no hero in that film. Kong is simply the lesser of two evils and the monster the audience is designed to and be more likely to sympathize with.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

I have a sneaking suspicion that they may use a team-up against Godzilla to emphasise how powerful he is as king.
Spoiler:
I also don’t believe there will be an actual good/bad guy, but G appears to be a more antagonising force with neither G or K being an actual “bad guy.”

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

xMx wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:45 pmbut superhero movies are very successful right now. What is wrong with having some of the formula? Having a winner would upset the loser's fanbase and I don't want to see that. Sure you can have a winner of a fight or two, but it doesn't have to end that way.
So what if they're successful and that's the problem. Not everything needs to copy them and some folks like myself are burnt out their fast-food like formula because notably the MCU all feel exactly the same knowing what the beginning, middle, and end will be, one of the reasons why I lost interest in it because they stuck with that formula and didn't have different tones to some of their movies.

The point is just because something is popular doesn't mean other genres should aim to be the same. Take Tom Cruise's The Mummy for example which tried hard to be the MCU and failed. That was a perfect example of how to NOT do a cinematic universe. The MonsterVerse has been doing its own thing and should stick to doing that and why for the most part it's thriving and successful.

These are giant monsters, not superheroes. Huge difference.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 10 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:01 pm
xMx wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:45 pmbut superhero movies are very successful right now. What is wrong with having some of the formula? Having a winner would upset the loser's fanbase and I don't want to see that. Sure you can have a winner of a fight or two, but it doesn't have to end that way.
So what if they're successful and that's the problem. Not everything needs to copy them and some folks like myself are burnt out their fast-food like formula because notably the MCU all feel exactly the same knowing what the beginning, middle, and end will be, one of the reasons why I lost interest in it because they stuck with that formula and didn't have different tones to some of their movies. That's a perfect example of how to NOT do a cinematic universe, whereas the MonsterVerse has been doing its own thing and should stick to doing that and why for the most part it's thriving and successful.

The point is just because something is popular doesn't mean other genres should aim to be the same. Take Tom Cruise's The Mummy for example which tried hard to be the MCU and failed. These are giant monsters, not superheroes. Huge difference.

You also can't relate to giant monsters, humans or human-like beings however you can.
Yes you can. I most certainly can relate to Godzilla's willpower to try again in the face of defeat, Kongs willingness to step up to the plate to protect others, their willingness to fight others.

You can try as hard as you can, but the Monsterverse is WBs current flagship "superhero" universe. If that means appealing to the absolute mass of the public, that's what'll happen. Just because your film takes elements from a certain trope doesn't mean you suddenly accept the failures of the films that come with them, because it's not always because of the trope itself.

BVS wasn't bad because it was a team up, hell I don't even think it was bad. It just tried to fit a lot into 2 hours and had morally questionable decisions.

Godzilla IS a superhero to the masses. A giant monster sure, but a super (anti) hero nonetheless to tons. Like it or not, he does the same things in his films that most superheroes do in the comics and films.

"Big villain with catastrophic powers threatens the world until Godzilla steps up to the plate" has happened how many times now??
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:18 pmYes you can. I most certainly can relate to Godzilla's willpower to try again in the face of defeat, Kongs willingness to step up to the plate to protect others, their willingness to fight others.

You can try as hard as you can, but the Monsterverse is WBs current flagship "superhero" universe. If that means appealing to the absolute mass of the public, that's what'll happen. Just because your film takes elements from a certain trope doesn't mean you suddenly accept the failures of the films that come with them, because it's not always because of the trope itself.

BVS wasn't bad because it was a team up, hell I don't even think it was bad. It just tried to fit a lot into 2 hours and had morally questionable decisions.

Godzilla IS a superhero to the masses. A giant monster sure, but a super (anti) hero nonetheless to tons. Like it or not, he does the same things in his films that most superheroes do in the comics and films.

"Big villain with catastrophic powers threatens the world until Godzilla steps up to the plate" has happened how many times now??
So because superheroes are popular. Should John Wick be like superheroes? Should James Bond? Should Fast and the Furious? Should horror movies in general? No because like the MonsterVerse, those are aiming to doing their own thing.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:19 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:18 pmYes you can. I most certainly can relate to Godzilla's willpower to try again in the face of defeat, Kongs willingness to step up to the plate to protect others, their willingness to fight others.

So because superheroes are popular. Should John Wick copy their formula? Should James Bond? Should Fast and the Furious? Should horror movies in general? No because like the MonsterVerse, those are aiming to doing their own thing.
You didn't answer my points, you regurgitated what you've said a billion times in the past. Superhero films follow their formula 95% of the time.

Monsters teaming up to take on another monster isn't suddenly a "superhero formula", or else Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla is a superhero film, Terror of Mechagodzilla is a superhero film, Godzilla vs Mothra Battle for the Earth is a superhero film, Destroy all Monsters is a superhero film, Invasion of the Astro Monster is a superhero film, Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla is a superhero film, GMK is a superhero film, Godzilla vs Megalon is a superhero film, Godzilla vs Gigan is a superhero film, Godzilla vs Destoroyah is a superhero film, etc. etc. etc.

You get the point yet? Plus it's Godzilla and Kong, 2 notoriously ambiguously good guys
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:24 pm You didn't answer my points, you regurgitated what you've said a billion times in the past. Superhero films follow their formula 95% of the time.

Monsters teaming up to take on another monster isn't suddenly a "superhero formula", or else Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla is a superhero film, Terror of Mechagodzilla is a superhero film, Godzilla vs Mother Battle for the Earth is a superhero film, Destroy all Monsters is a superhero film, Invasion of the Astro Monster is a superhero film, Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla is a superhero film, GMK is a superhero film

You get the point yet?
My point is it's called Godzilla vs. Kong. The movie should be about their fight just like Alien vs. Predator and Freddy vs. Jason.

They couldn't have waited for a potential future film or Part II? Because I otherwise don't oppose to a team-up especially since we just had one in the last film. I'm not saying it even has to end with death at all, just a clear winner and nothing more. As figured, audiences are just too sensitive nowadays, gotta give them what they want, things we've seen before over rarity.

Regardless, it's clear it's gonna happen so all I ask is the execution delivers more around the lines of out of survival, mutual respect, or something similar to King Caesar in the 1974 film with them simply parting ways without thinking anything. I'd appreciate that.

Added in 9 minutes 8 seconds:
Also, the characters Godzilla and Kong as a whole are anti-heroes. They're not exactly pure especially with how they started and the 1962 film doesn't paint them as such.

Hell, most of Kong's movies have him portrayed as a savage but intelligent animal sometimes sympathized like the 2005 film. The same with Godzilla. 1954, early Showa, Heisei Godzilla certainly wasn't pure heroic, as with G2000, GMK the most evil incarnation, GxM/Tokyo: S.O.S., Final Wars, as well as Shin and Earth being the Force of Natures they are. Late Showa Godzilla was is probably the only most pure heroic incarnation and even then started as a villain.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

You don't need 2 "pure good" characters to team up.

It's in both of their natures to take everything into consideration before going head on into a fight. They're not mindless beasts. They're animals who take advantage of their situations.

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
"Things we've seen before over rarity"

Show me one time Kong and Godzilla teamed up officially to take on another threat.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.