The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I'm not really that knowledgeable on transfers. So what I'm gathering is that every single time I've sat down to watch G14, it's been a very shitty dvd transfer, whether it be playing on HBO or I watch some clips on YouTube, and that the only time I saw the movie as it was meant to be seen, was once five years ago in the movie theater?
Yep. Pretty much. Sad, isn't it?

I have to wonder if there's any sort of fan restoration out there that I don't know about.
That... kind of angers me. But at the same time, (maybe it's because it's been over five years) I don't remember the movie being that much brighter. This news of the 4K release does intrigue me though, and I'm usually never interested in different transfers of movies (accept if I order it off of Xfinity and it only comes in fullscreen instead of widescreen like they did with KOTM).

EDIT: Wait holy shit it's been six years.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah but a newer 4K TV with a decent dimming zone count and HDR will make a huge difference. When we watched the final episode on Carnival Row on my dad's previous TV and the sewer scenes were almost incomprehensible. He ordered a newer TV with way more dimming zones the the difference in picture was like night and day.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Reviving a dead thread cause why not :D

It looks like there was a quick shot of Godzilla looking down at the female MUTO cut from the film

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Moogabunga wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:23 pm Reviving a dead thread cause why not :D

It looks like there was a quick shot of Godzilla looking down at the female MUTO cut from the film

That is like the 4th trimmed down shot of Godzilla that I've counted that's sad and amazing at the same time.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I really wish people would stop doing the arrow thing. Yes I can see the still of the deleted scene in the thumbnail without the arrows circles or the sensationalist "????". Sorry I'm being negative, just really sick of YouTubers trying to emulate tabloids or TMZ.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

Is this the Junkie XL GvK soundtrack in the background of this new Playmates GvK commercial? I can swear I heard it elsewhere last year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJrTDe8gMbr ... f5fcyykkjg

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

plasmabeam wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:39 pm Is this the Junkie XL GvK soundtrack in the background of this new Playmates GvK commercial? I can swear I heard it elsewhere last year.

It was used in some promotional videos on Walmart's website but I heavily doubt it's Junkie XL's score.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:17 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:39 pm Is this the Junkie XL GvK soundtrack in the background of this new Playmates GvK commercial? I can swear I heard it elsewhere last year.

It was used in some promotional videos on Walmart's website but I heavily doubt it's Junkie XL's score.
Didn't someone track down the original score for those commercials, and it was a copyright-free track or something?

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

CineWorld (UK) has fixed the info on their site, moving GvK from June to May.

https://twitter.com/thekaijuologist/sta ... 47043?s=21

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

Ummm, I think we should unlock the other threads soon...

https://www.facebook.com/15180310384259 ... 662312464/

Added in 5 minutes :
Also, it appears Adam Wingard has awoken on his Instagram stories. It feels like rumbling has begun in general.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

plasmabeam wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:16 pm Ummm, I think we should unlock the other threads soon...

Added in 5 minutes :
Also, it appears Adam Wingard has awoken on his Instagram stories. It feels like rumbling has begun in general.
I know we shouldn’t put too much stock into Instagram stories, but those 2 Godzilla reveals + that electric Kong (actually Congar from War of the Monsters :P) are definitely...intriguing.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

kaijukurt wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:01 am
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:16 pm Ummm, I think we should unlock the other threads soon...

Added in 5 minutes :
I know we shouldn’t put too much stock into Instagram stories, but those 2 Godzilla reveals + that electric Kong (actually Congar from War of the Monsters :P) are definitely...intriguing.
He’s totally trolling us haha.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

The new GvK Playmates toy trailer used an S_Shake effect, and it looks awful lmfao

"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Where is my damn trailer!
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MrRockett wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:34 am Where is my damn trailer!
You don't need to continually spam posts of this nature. You want the trailer, as does everyone else on the forum. Ease up on the spam posts, please.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

I really hope this movie turns out to be the best in the series after all the hypes. Chances are it could be the worst of the bunch with the least amount of actions, subpar effects, poor pacing and what not exacerbated further by the lockdown. I'm starting to think them keep on delaying the trailer might have something to do with it or am I just being paranoid?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

ultrazilla wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:35 am I really hope this movie turns out to be the best in the series after all the hypes. Chances are it could be the worst of the bunch with the least amount of actions, subpar effects, poor pacing and what not exacerbated further by the lockdown. I'm starting to think them keep on delaying the trailer might have something to do with it or am I just being paranoid?
Your just being paranoid there man, All the Monsterverse films have been able to provide some enjoyment regardless on how you feel about the overall quality of the film. Godzilla vs Kong will be no different.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Maritonic wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:57 am
MrRockett wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:34 am Where is my damn trailer!
You don't need to continually spam posts of this nature. You want the trailer, as does everyone else on the forum. Ease up on the spam posts, please.
Fine....I was just interjecting some silly into the conversation. People getting too wound up over anything. The simplest thing getting blown up into a pages long debate leading to bans, warnings and locked threads. It’s a sci-if, fantasy, action movie series that while I have been a fan of for 44 years (damnit I’m old...) and i wish people could just remember its entertainment and not life and death. I mean what is worth getting all heated up over here? If it’s good to the viewer it’s good to the viewer, if it’s bad, it’s the same.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

ultrazilla wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:35 am I really hope this movie turns out to be the best in the series after all the hypes. Chances are it could be the worst of the bunch with the least amount of actions, subpar effects, poor pacing and what not exacerbated further by the lockdown. I'm starting to think them keep on delaying the trailer might have something to do with it or am I just being paranoid?
It’s paranoia. It could very well be the worst, it could be the best, or it could be somewhere in the middle. Though, I think due to the condensed nature of the film (the shortest of the four), and the fact that it brings in a very well-known and well-loved other icon, it’s going to do better than most of us are guessing. I think people will view it as more of a boxing match and will be a tad less critical of it with the regular “rules” of a movie. Not that it gives it an excuse to be bad. And we also know better CGI teams are working on this one.

There’s a veritable army of people guiding the movie. It’s not just the director. It’s writers, and other professionals, including the studio, all navigating away from former mistakes and sharpening/polishing things as they learn from the past.

Plus, we get another Godzilla movie with great effects, in his best incarnation, and no rubber suit or embarrassing, sub par CG.

I’m optimistic.