The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: The Godzilla General Discussion & Speculation Thread

Post by GojiDog »

The problem with big budget blockbusters is that they are specifically designed to be seen in a theater to create "the theater experience"

I've noticed it more and more in recent years, but freaking Marvel movies even have examples of pausing for audience laughter. Its really weird, but I'm noticing it alot more when I watch the movies at home, and its there because they are making the movies to be seen in a theater. Hell, I fell for it with Last Jedi. Saw it in theaters...not so bad. I mean it looks fantastic. But then you watch it at home and all the cracks in the armor show...big time.

Good or Bad, its why these big movies turn out the way they do. Scorsese was onto something when he said they were basically turned into theme park attractions. Its one of the reasons people seem to love the Disney remakes when they come out, but then when they rewatch them at home, the magic appears to be gone. Its wonder Wonder Woman 84 got such a lukewarm reaction from alot of normal people. I'm sure if you saw it in a theater, it'd be great. But seeing it at home, the flaws become ALOT more obvious.

In one sense this is good. Hopefully we can get back to filling theaters with Good movies rather than big budget and soulless garbage.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

plasmabeam wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:53 pm
ultrazilla wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:35 am I really hope this movie turns out to be the best in the series after all the hypes. Chances are it could be the worst of the bunch with the least amount of actions, subpar effects, poor pacing and what not exacerbated further by the lockdown. I'm starting to think them keep on delaying the trailer might have something to do with it or am I just being paranoid?
It’s paranoia. It could very well be the worst, it could be the best, or it could be somewhere in the middle. Though, I think due to the condensed nature of the film (the shortest of the four), and the fact that it brings in a very well-known and well-loved other icon, it’s going to do better than most of us are guessing. I think people will view it as more of a boxing match and will be a tad less critical of it with the regular “rules” of a movie. Not that it gives it an excuse to be bad. And we also know better CGI teams are working on this one.

There’s a veritable army of people guiding the movie. It’s not just the director. It’s writers, and other professionals, including the studio, all navigating away from former mistakes and sharpening/polishing things as they learn from the past.

Plus, we get another Godzilla movie with great effects, in his best incarnation, and no rubber suit or embarrassing, sub par CG.

I’m optimistic.
XxComablack1937xX wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:02 am
ultrazilla wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:35 am I really hope this movie turns out to be the best in the series after all the hypes. Chances are it could be the worst of the bunch with the least amount of actions, subpar effects, poor pacing and what not exacerbated further by the lockdown. I'm starting to think them keep on delaying the trailer might have something to do with it or am I just being paranoid?
Your just being paranoid there man, All the Monsterverse films have been able to provide some enjoyment regardless on how you feel about the overall quality of the film. Godzilla vs Kong will be no different.
I know what you all saying make a lot of sense and all, I just need something tangible to keep reminding me of it, namely a trailer or a short clip. Yeah the premises definitely sounds promising, I just hope they don't screw up like many other big budget movies did.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Terry Rossio's involvement has me cautiously optimistic. Hopefully Wingard will really lean into the whole rematch aspect. The other movies, despite having kaiju battles, they never really seemed to be the focus (not that they exactly needed to). If any movie ever really deserved to do it, even needed to do it, its this one.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

A new (positive) blurb about GvK in Total Films. (It may contain a spoiler for some).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJyuPmrgVbk ... g2yrvqp32a

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Yeah, I hate to be a downer, but this stuff about GvsK being more character driven is definitely bad news to me. It looks like they’re more interested in telling a family drama than a Godzilla movie.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

LockBite wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:27 am Yeah, I hate to be a downer, but this stuff about GvsK being more character driven is definitely bad news to me. It looks like they’re more interested in telling a family drama than a Godzilla movie.
I don’t think they have time to really get into the human characters as much. It’s such a short movie. From the sounds of it, it looks like there’s a lot more human/kaiju narrative development as opposed to human/human.

How many minutes was Godzilla on screen in the last two? 9 or 11 minutes? We know one fight is five minutes uninterrupted in GvK so I’m sure we’ll see quite a bit of the monsters.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Only in this fandom would a film's emphasis on actual characters and not the pure spectacle be treated as a negative.

HannibalBarca
Gotengo Officer

Post by HannibalBarca »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:08 pm Only in this fandom would a film's emphasis on actual characters and not the pure spectacle be treated as a negative.
Maybe not *only* in this fandom, but it does seem to be a depressingly common kneejerk reaction.
In my opinion, of course.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

LockBite wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:27 am Yeah, I hate to be a downer, but this stuff about GvsK being more character driven is definitely bad news to me. It looks like they’re more interested in telling a family drama than a Godzilla movie.
Moogabunga wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:16 am
By the way, Total Film dropped their little article about GvK, nothing really new except Wingard said the human characters are important (I can easily see people whining about that, which is bizarre)
F*ckin lol

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:08 pm Only in this fandom would a film's emphasis on actual characters and not the pure spectacle be treated as a negative.
Depends. If said movie put emphasis on good characters then it’s more than welcome. If it puts emphasis on bad characters then it’s a negative thing.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Italian G-Fan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:44 pm
Depends. If said movie put emphasis on good characters then it’s more than welcome. If it puts emphasis on bad characters then it’s a negative thing.
...yes...? lol

"If there are good things in the movie then it's good, if there are bad things in the movie then it's bad", I think that's a bit obvious, no? :lol:
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Remember how compelling and essential the drama was in KOTM? Exactly.

Italian G-Fan
Interpol Agent

Post by Italian G-Fan »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:03 pm
Italian G-Fan wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:44 pm
...yes...? lol

"If there are good things in the movie then it's good, if there are bad things in the movie then it's bad", I think that's a bit obvious, no? :lol:
What I’m trying to say is that since the previous movies had pretty bad emphasis over the humans, now people rightfully think GVK will put bad emphasis on humans.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

What's wrong with the MonsterVerse where major moments from their marketing end up cut from the final product.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:22 am What's wrong with the MonsterVerse where major moments from their marketing end up cut from the final product.
....?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

For instance the HALO jump speech. It was in almost every trailer but was not in the actual film.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That scene felt much more major with only the horror-esque ghostly ochestra, roars, wind, and Plane alarm going off that we did get in the film.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:22 am What's wrong with the MonsterVerse where major moments from their marketing end up cut from the final product.
That's actually very common for movie trailers. Predators and Spider-Man: Homecoming being a couple of examples just off the top of my head. Nothing unusual about that at all.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

ElijahSky wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:24 pm
That's actually very common for movie trailers. Predators and Spider-Man: Homecoming being a couple of examples just off the top of my head. Nothing unusual about that at all.
Maybe so but some of the ones for the Monsterverse would have really added to those scenes if kept in the movie. My feelings for 2014 aside, the HALO speech really added to the scene and it's kind of shame it got cut out.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Hulk fought in Wakanda in the Infinty War trailer.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image