Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by CyberZilla »

Garzon wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 am If Legendary were to find a new partner for the MonsterVerse, it probably wouldn’t be Disney. Again, Disney doesn’t seem to care for IP’s that they don’t have full ownership of. Besides, they already have more than enough on their plate. I don’t see where kaiju movies would fit into their plans.

It also seems pretty safe to assume that Universal wouldn’t be an option either, as they already had a falling out with Legendary. In terms of the Big Five Hollywood studios, that leaves Sony and Paramount. Frankly though, I think it’s more likely that Legendary would just move on to Netflix or Apple.
That’s true, they already made connections with both those companies for MV properties. Not sure how they would do with supporting feature films alongside Legendary, though.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

I think you guys are overthinking this

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:50 pm I think you guys are overthinking this
They are. And it's both hilarious but sad at same time.

Fans that actually think what is going on with WB means the MonsterVerse is going to end are either blissfully hoping it because they don't like it, or panicking because they don't understand why it's happening.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

To be fair, animation fans are overthinking the HBO Max thing for the same reasons.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:54 am To be fair, animation fans are overthinking the HBO Max thing for the same reasons.
Oh no doubt.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:51 am
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:50 pm I think you guys are overthinking this

Fans that actually think what is going on with WB means the MonsterVerse is going to end are either blissfully hoping it because they don't like it, or panicking because they don't understand why it's happening.
Then could you explain? If two separate films(Batgirl and Scoob) can get canned, with various other shows potentially canned why is the Monsterverse safe?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

If I have it together right, Legendary is in charge of the Monsterverse. WB distributes, heavily produces and has the film rights to Godzilla right now (as in, Toho struck the deal with them) but LegendRy is behind almost all of it. WB can definitely heavily influence productions they are doing but at the end of the day, only Legendary can determine what does and doesn't come out.

Is it really a coincidence after that heavily publicized shitshow of WB tampering with GVK's production that fucked with Legendary, only one of the three projects announced at the time are with WB?

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:54 pm If I have it together right, Legendary is in charge of the Monsterverse. WB distributes, heavily produces and has the film rights to Godzilla right now (as in, Toho struck the deal with them) but LegendRy is behind almost all of it. WB can definitely heavily influence productions they are doing but at the end of the day, only Legendary can determine what does and doesn't come out.

Is it really a coincidence after that heavily publicized shitshow of WB tampering with GVK's production that skreeonked with Legendary, only one of the three projects announced at the time are with WB?
WB only distrubtes to my understanding. Legendary can take their Godzilla ball and go home when they want. Legendary brought Godzilla to WB after they had the deal with Toho.

Chris55 is the one who would know.

Added in 27 seconds:
Houndoom wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:25 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:51 am

Then could you explain? If two separate films(Batgirl and Scoob) can get canned, with various other shows potentially canned why is the Monsterverse safe?
Because WB is canceling their own films and the Monsterverse is Legendary's film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Worth noting that Godzilla/Monsterverse doesn’t A) Occupy the same ugly culture/fandom war that DC has been in for the past decade and B)the Monsterverse arguably is more successful as a consistent whole than the DC films have been.

I wouldn’t worry too much. I actually think the Apple and Netflix switch proves a ray of positivity; Godzilla, despite tangently being part of WB, has avoided (more than other properties) being consumed and drained of this massive corporate monopoly of media that’s being going on for years.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:21 pm I wouldn’t worry too much. I actually think the Apple and Netflix switch proves a ray of positivity; Godzilla, despite tangently being part of WB, has avoided (more than other properties) being consumed and drained of this massive corporate monopoly of media that’s being going on for years.
I legit think that's because Toho guards their property tightly. And for good reason.

Quote of the Year:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:21 pm Worth noting that Godzilla/Monsterverse doesn’t A) Occupy the same ugly culture/fandom war that DC has been in for the past decade and B)the Monsterverse arguably is more successful as a consistent whole than the DC films have been.

I wouldn’t worry too much. I actually think the Apple and Netflix switch proves a ray of positivity; Godzilla, despite tangently being part of WB, has avoided (more than other properties) being consumed and drained of this massive corporate monopoly of media that’s being going on for years.
At this point, we should be grateful that there’s more big companies than just Disney. If that were the case, we will truly witness a monopoly.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

there shooting in japan now, and there's a Godzilla Evacuation Area sign

Added in 6 minutes 49 seconds:
The funny thing about the photos is they were taken by a food shop tweeting how side eating is not available due to the shoot but ubereats is available and did not seem to know it was for something Godzilla related

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:11 am there shooting in japan now, and there's a Godzilla Evacuation Area sign

The funny thing about the photos is they were taken by a food shop tweeting how side eating is not available due to the shoot but ubereats is available and did not seem to know it was for something Godzilla related
I wonder how there could be a "Godzilla designated shelter" in Japan when this series' temporal background is just after 2014.

Sounds like Godzilla already had appeared several times in Japan.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Last edited by BurningCoolMan on Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:11 am there shooting in japan now, and there's a Godzilla Evacuation Area sign

Are we 100% its for this show and not the new Toho film?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:07 pm

KDM said so. You know, he is a very reliable source but not always "100%" legit.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:07 pm

Yes, absolutely. The sign literally represents Godzilla with his 2014 design.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Garzon wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:36 am If Legendary were to find a new partner for the MonsterVerse, it probably wouldn’t be Disney. Again, Disney doesn’t seem to care for IP’s that they don’t have full ownership of. Besides, they already have more than enough on their plate. I don’t see where kaiju movies would fit into their plans.

It also seems pretty safe to assume that Universal wouldn’t be an option either, as they already had a falling out with Legendary. In terms of the Big Five Hollywood studios, that leaves Sony and Paramount. Frankly though, I think it’s more likely that Legendary would just move on to Netflix or Apple.
Well, I guess Disney is not interested now regardless, since they just announced their own Kong series.

Unless it's bait to try to reel Legendary in, of course.

Disney could buy Legendary, who has been searching for a new owner. If so, I would hope more Pacific Rim content is produced.
Last edited by Anguirus on Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

So Matt Shakman who directed the first 2 episodes of this series plus is an Executive Producer on it is in talks to direct Marvel’s “Fantastic Four” movie.

Why is this relevant? Because I think it speaks to his level of work and shows that we’ve got great talent working on this series.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:58 am So Matt Shakman who directed the first 2 episodes of this series plus is an Executive Producer on it is in talks to direct Marvel’s “Fantastic Four” movie.

Why is this relevant? Because I think it speaks to his level of work and shows that we’ve got great talent working on this series.
that apple money must be real nice