Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:40 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:30 am
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:22 am

Dude, what's happening is bigger than DC.
So what exactly is going on because I'm far from following it. Looks as if they just cancelled before a final cut was made due to them wanting to focus on big budget DC films and inch away from simultaneous/direct to streaming releases for their films.
The short version is that the new head of Warners wants to prioritize theatrical releases, like you said. Its not a specific agenda against DC though.
Oh, yeah. I'm not worried at all.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

To be honest, this is something I wish Disney would do. All their Disney+ original shit is really diluting their brand. It's the direct to video garbage all over again.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:40 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:30 am
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:22 am

Dude, what's happening is bigger than DC.
So what exactly is going on because I'm far from following it. Looks as if they just cancelled before a final cut was made due to them wanting to focus on big budget DC films and inch away from simultaneous/direct to streaming releases for their films.
The short version is that the new head of Warners wants to prioritize theatrical releases, like you said. Its not a specific agenda against DC though.
He's also infamously known to want movies made cheap and on a strict deadline. But at worst is that WB will no longer distribute movies for legendary and legendary would go somewhere like universal or 20th-century pictures

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Discovery is canceling these movies as tax write offs to civet some if the best for buying WB according to trades now.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:47 am To be honest, this is something I wish Disney would do. All their Disney+ original poop is really diluting their brand. It's the direct to video garbage all over again.
Disney is not being diluted because Disney caters directly to consumers that are going to watch all of their stuff. Star Wars right now is proof of that and Marvel can't do wrong to its fans.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I still wouldn't worry too much about them trying to cancel it. Remember, WB/Legendary doesn't own Godzilla. And I have more than enough faith in how stingy, greedy and downright shady Toho can be when it comes to their biggest license. Even if its filmed and done, and WB/Discovery try the same move, I wouldn't be surprised to see Toho throwing its own weight around with something to the extant of them having a say. They have money wrapped up in this too.

Be one hell of an event though, to say the least.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

The new head of Warner Bros is a complete cheapskate, but WB are not the main ones financing the MonsterVerse movies, Legendary is.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

What are the chances of legendary leaving WB due what ever going on with them and team up with another studio to distribute the 5 monsterverse film and if there are more films down the road. If that ever happen who should legendary team up with distribute the film.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

WB dated both this film and Dune 2 they're not going anywhere and besides Alan Horn is back with WB.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Sounds like we know what character Dan Stevens will be playing!

https://mobile.twitter.com/KDM_Monsters ... 2940101633

And yes he later clarifies that he meant grandson not son

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

My first thought was "that's goofy as hell and I love it", but the more I've thought abt it, it makes a lot of sense. A throughline with Monarch, however well executed, has always been families and lineages. We get Eiji, Ishiro, and Ren Serizawa, the Russel parents and Madison Russel, the Chen generations, and the new tv show is apparently going to focus on a family discovering their Monarch lineage. So yeah, it makes a lot of sense that we get another Monarch alumni lineage.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:38 pm Sounds like we know what character Dan Stevens will be playing!

Hey, that’s a fun connection. Like GojiSquid said, the familial ties that keep popping up with Monarch is interesting.
Last edited by CyberZilla on Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:45 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:38 pm Sounds like we know what character Dan Stevens will be playing!

Hey, that’s a fun connection. Like GojiSquid said, the familial ties that keep popping up with Monarch is interesting.
In before he has like 5 lines and pilots Mechani-Kong.

Quote of the Year:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Some of the familal connections feel like a way to make the films seem more connected than they actually are, and keep more of a continual thread afloat. It also seems like a way to distract against how every film has a different set of main leads (with the exception being Maddison), which isn't a problem for me, but might be considered a problem by producers and other executives. To be clear, not aq deal breaker and won't affect my overall vision, but it's itneresting nontheless.

Could do some neat parallels to Skull Island with the exploration of the Hollow Earth in that regard.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

https://mobile.twitter.com/KDM_Monsters ... 5220348928

"The fifth film the MonsterVerse franchise will see Kong defend the Earth from the unusual and dangerous creatures that threaten his new home. But something is happening „above“ too..."

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:03 am https://mobile.twitter.com/KDM_Monsters ... 5220348928

"The fifth film the MonsterVerse franchise will see Kong defend the Earth from the unusual and dangerous creatures that threaten his new home. But something is happening „above“ too..."
Here is the source, though it omits that second sentence: https://www.arts.gov.au/departmental-ne ... queensland
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Fermix wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:14 am
BurningCoolMan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:03 am https://mobile.twitter.com/KDM_Monsters ... 5220348928

Here is the source, though it omits that second sentence: https://www.arts.gov.au/departmental-ne ... queensland
He seems to have a lot of inside information for the current shooting of this and the godzilla show, so I think he added that part to hint that godzilla will also be involved

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Sounds like another split narrative like GVK, which I'm not too keen on.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:20 am
Fermix wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:14 am

He seems to have a lot of inside information for the current shooting of this and the godzilla show, so I think he added that part to hint that godzilla will also be involved
Yeah, he probably added that to account for the filming that has been done for a Brazil scene. If this is a bi-plot narrative movie, I hope that the aboveground narrative is either a) the same characters from Team Godzilla, to avoid to many character introductions, or b) just Godzilla getting all the screentime (there's no reason not to this time, unlike in GvK).
Last edited by GojiSquid on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I know this is early in the filmmaking process, but this may not be a bi-narrative film. Most of the film could be taking place with Kong while the surface part might be the after credits cliffhanger for the proceeding film.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

I wonder if they're bringing back Camazotz.