Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by Garzon »

I think the MonsterVerse has already made Godzilla about as mainstream as it’s gonna get.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Moogabunga wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:33 pmI love how this implies that the MCU's humor isn't cringe...
It is.

At least the modern MCU and that's what I mean when I said its like Godzilla vs. Kong was trying to copy off of it but failing desperately because the MCU's humor is apparently popular to general audiences.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I will take the MonsterVerse over what Marvel and DC are doing any day of the week.

One movie at a time, a pretty clear, direct and linear style where each film builds off of the next. Not an over-adundance of formula or hammered in style and tone. The films feel like they belong together without mimicking each other. It also never feels like any of them are retreading familiar ground like doing ANOTHER story of a superhero who starts off as kind of a jerk and has to grow to not be such a jerk, etc

They also don't waste my time. These genre movies should be 2 hours on the high end, not having delusions of importance by being 2.5 hours on a semi regular basis.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:28 pm I'm starting to notice that Godzilla fans are harder on legendary calling these films cringe and I wonder if it's because we feel the MV is our last chance and getting people to respect Godzilla.
Or the films are just, y'know, shoddy cringe and we call them as we see them. Speaking for myself, though I'm certainly not alone, I only care about GA opinions on Godzilla as they relate to getting more movies made. As long as people are watching enough to fund the next potentially good movie, I'm happy. Obviously it's cool when we get new fans and this genre gets positive mainstream attention, but I'm not losing sleep when that doesn't happen.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

MonsterVerse has cringe humor?

Have you guys even watched the millennium era? I was 12-years old and cringing at G2K's slapstick attempts.

Added in 19 minutes 5 seconds:
I don't know how I missed this originally... But God damn. If this isn't the start of the next era of leaks...

Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:35 pm MonsterVerse has cringe humor?

Have you guys even watched the millennium era? I was 12-years old and cringing at G2K's slapstick attempts.
Shhh...there are definitely double standards between judging Toho's unfiltered artistic vision and the total sellout American movies.

The Monsterverse is one of the best things to happen to the Godzilla franchise.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:45 pm

Shhh...there are definitely double standards between judging Toho's unfiltered artistic vision and the total sellout American movies.

I legit don't think this franchise will ever get any more cringyer than when an old man tried picking up a woman half his age with a line about having children in GXMG. Like for real, that was just God awful.

You wanna' talk about cringe humor in Godzilla movies?
Let's talk about Yuki's ass in GvSG.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:51 pm

I legit don't think this franchise will ever get any more cringyer than when an old man tried picking up a woman half his age with a line about having children in GXMG. Like for real, that was just God awful.

Also...as much as I love Final Wars. That entire thing is just cringey. I hung out with friends recently and watched RRR for the hilarious insanity that is that movie....but that type of over-the-top heavy-handed style is a unique brand of its own. It makes me appreciate over the top and ridiculous movies more...but it doesn't stop them from being either cringey or unintentionally hilarious at many moments.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:59 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:51 pm

Also...as much as I love Final Wars. That entire thing is just cringey. I hung out with friends recently and watched RRR for the hilarious insanity that is that movie....but that type of over-the-top heavy-handed style is a unique brand of its own. It makes me appreciate over the top and ridiculous movies more...but it doesn't stop them from being either cringey or unintentionally hilarious at many moments.
Don Frye delivered his lines with such a dead pan performance that I love it. Though, hearing him say "sweetheart" still makes me cringe.

Quote of the Year:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The MV is crucified for things a lot of fans let pass in the Toho films. I'm not saying fans have to like the MV or the MV are the best Godzilla films ever but there are worst films held to higher standards because they are from Toho.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Get out of here with that 'double standard' crap. The Heisei and Millennium movies are bashed here every day for their missteps. Most of the fandom looks down on the Showa series. It's Monsterverse stans that can't handle constructive criticism and have to act like detractors are doing something wrong.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:59 pm Get out of here with that 'double standard' crap. The Heisei and Millennium movies are bashed here every day for their missteps. Most of the fandom looks down on the Showa series. It's Monsterverse stans that can't handle constructive criticism and have to act like detractors are doing something wrong.
How many fans think Miki Saegusa is a well written and developed character again?

I'm pretty sure we both had this exact conversation before, however. And while yes, I respect your opinion of not liking the MV films, you're not the type of fan I'm talking about. The cringy-ness comparison was joking around/trolling, not especially aimed directly at you.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:41 pm The MV is crucified for things a lot of fans let pass in the Toho films. I'm not saying fans have to like the MV or the MV are the best Godzilla films ever but there are worst films held to higher standards because they are from Toho.
letting Toho pass because they created Godzilla is an absolute dumb excuse, just because they are the company that made Godzilla does not mean we can excuse bad decisions, It’s like letting Activision blizzard pass for making Diablo immortal because they’re the one who created the IP

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I think some of the apparent double standard issues come from the differences in overall filmmaking style between Japanese and American movies. I'm more willing to forgive Toho's mistakes because the calm, quiet, relatively subdued feel of their movies appeals to me, while Legendary's Big, Loud, 'n' Dumb approach sometimes (not always) grates on me and makes the flaws stand out more starkly. That, and Hollywood just doesn't have any excuse for slipshod quality. They have the time and budgets to do whatever they want, and they choose to take easy, lazy routes. Toho is sometimes guilty of this too, of course.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:09 pm
Moogabunga wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:33 pmI love how this implies that the MCU's humor isn't cringe...
It is.

At least the modern MCU and that's what I mean when I said its like Godzilla vs. Kong was trying to copy off of it but failing desperately because the MCU's humor is apparently popular to general audiences.
Well yeah people love the humor in the MCU because it’s Marvel. Gotta love the double standards. When characters are quipping left and right during the climax’s of Infinity War and Endgame (like Gamora insulting Star Lord), it’s okay because it’s Marvel. Doesn’t matter the stakes of the battle: doesn’t matter that Thanos is willing to destroy the universe with no remorse if the Avengers lose.

But when this happens once or twice during the climax of KotM, everybody just loses their minds. Which admittedly, King of the Monsters could’ve done without it still. You want a good example of a serious climax? Revenge of the Sith. That’s the degree of seriousness Endgame should’ve been. I mean yeah I get it, the prequels kinda have shitty dialogue, but at least they don’t resort to shitty, misplaced jokes in otherwise grave situations. I think Civil War is the best example of a rightfully-serious MCU climax
Chrispy_G wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:28 pm I will take the MonsterVerse over what Marvel and DC are doing any day of the week.

One movie at a time, a pretty clear, direct and linear style where each film builds off of the next. Not an over-adundance of formula or hammered in style and tone. The films feel like they belong together without mimicking each other. It also never feels like any of them are retreading familiar ground like doing ANOTHER story of a superhero who starts off as kind of a jerk and has to grow to not be such a jerk, etc

They also don't waste my time. These genre movies should be 2 hours on the high end, not having delusions of importance by being 2.5 hours on a semi regular basis.
Like I’ve said before, most audiences are unwilling to criticize Marvel. Even though most of their recent content has been average at best. It’s all branding, and that’s why people are more willing to give Multiverse of Madness a chance than a kaiju film, even though the former was filled with cringe and mediocrity

Added in 18 minutes 22 seconds:
And Endgame is also a messy mish-mash of a film that is easily the most overrated movie I’ve ever seen. But people act like it’s some sort of godsend. It’s all because of branding and fanservice. Endgame, No Way Home, Multiverse of Madness, the Loki series, I could go on.

Godzilla will never be so popular that it can completely burn itself out like Marvel and still be #1.
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The Monsterverse has been able to survive as a secondary niche franchise. And that’s fine. I doubt we’ll ever get solo movies from other titans other than Kong and Godzilla.. that’s really where it goes and stops. You add in those other monsters within their films. We’re lucky to be getting a Monarch show honestly.

Kaiju like Mothra getting her own movie probably would only work in Japan at this point as “Shin Mothra” etc.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Speaking of which, one thing I don't want the MV doing is having to rely on watching TV shows to understand the movies. Ex: WandaVision and Multiverse of Madness.

Added in 2 minutes 24 seconds:

Added in 19 minutes 5 seconds:
I don't know how I missed this originally... But God damn. If this isn't the start of the next era of leaks...

To be fair, Godzilla doing a body slam Megaguirus while it looks in horror is hilarious.

Added in 14 minutes 32 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:09 pm
It is.

You can even see some of that in KOTM. Calling Ghidorah "Gonorrhea" was eye rolling and felt the movie was embarrassed to be sincere.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Sammy19 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:14 am Speaking of which, one thing I don't want the MV doing is having to rely on watching TV shows to understand the movies. Ex: WandaVision and Multiverse of Madness.
An infinite number of universes full of THIS. Disney is playing a dangerous game with that, and it's probably going to hurt them.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:06 am
Sammy19 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:14 am Speaking of which, one thing I don't want the MV doing is having to rely on watching TV shows to understand the movies. Ex: WandaVision and Multiverse of Madness.
An infinite number of universes full of THIS. Disney is playing a dangerous game with that, and it's probably going to hurt them.
Yeah, the infinite universes would just lessen the impact of smaller stories.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It’s interesting you bring that up… because to me it’s possible the Monarch show could be setting up the big bad in the GvK sequel.

Btw I think this movie needs to be “Godzilla and Kong: blah blah blah” not “Godzilla vs Kong: etc.”… the ending made it seem like they respect each other. Wouldn’t make any sense to have them fight again.
Last edited by Cookson on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer