Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion and GodzillaFan1990's are like Godzilla and Rodan in MZ, together they will crush the dreams and conquer the MV section.

In all seriousness we can argue the movie will be a success or not but the only fact is we have no idea what will happen in 2024.

If the MV is over oh well fun while it lasted. If this movie preforms like the rest however the series will continue.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Sigh just when I thought we'd be happy to see the MonsterVerse officially continue.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

As always, marketing will play a big role. If they can give Kong something exciting to do and push the inevitable cute baby Kong hard enough, they can probably get people to pay attention.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

One film at a time. So much for Godzilla vs Kong being the end. With the right film, Marketing and release push there is no reason to believe this won't be another success. We are getting THIS movie so until it is a disaster we can be happy to have one more movie.

I know some die hards might disagree but GvK hit a lot more positively with "Normies" than most people realize. Bringing that director back with another film in that style could easily be a big recipe for success.

I'm glad we are getting one film at a time instead of a string of factory made product on some weird 2-3 films a year cycle. Let some hype and intrigue build up between releases for crying out loud.

As far as the content of this film, I just get an itch that it isn't JUST going to be a Kong movie or a Kong spin-off of GvK

Something tells me you don't bring back the GvK director just to do a Kong Hollow Earth adventure. I think if there was to be no Godzilla they would probably want to rip that bandaid off right away, officially.

I also have doubts that they would celebrate 10 years of the Monsterverse and 70 years of Godzilla with a Monsterverse movie that features absolute zero Godzilla.

I think they are being cagey about the title because perhaps it is an even bigger and wilder concept than many anticipate.

Godzilla vs Kong is the kind of movie that sold people with the title. Godzilla in one corner, Kong in the other, get your popcorn ready.

What is the next step beyond that? Do you just do a Kong Hollow Earth adventure? Do you just try to run it back with "Godzilla vs Kong Part 2" which doesn't make much sense story wise and in terms of marketing. Just doing it again isn't interesting.

So what's the next tier up? What's the next step beyond "Godzilla vs Kong"? What is another concept that has deep awareness in the fanbase, a longstanding legacy in pop culture, and is another "easy sell" to hype up normies?

My theory: Destroy All Monsters
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:15 am Legion and GodzillaFan1990's are like Godzilla and Rodan in MZ, together they will crush the dreams and conquer the MV section.

In all seriousness we can argue the movie will be a success or not but the only fact is we have no idea what will happen in 2024.

If the MV is over oh well fun while it lasted. If this movie preforms like the rest however the series will continue.
I dont think ANYONE wants it to perform like KOTM.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:48 am
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:15 am Legion and GodzillaFan1990's are like Godzilla and Rodan in MZ, together they will crush the dreams and conquer the MV section.

Kotm is an outlier at this point. The first two films did decent and Godzilla vs Kong did well considering it was a pandemic and on HBO Max.

Yes Kotm didn't do too hot, but right now it's the red headed step child, not glass ceiling.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
Also just putting this out there, I'm almost sure Godzilla has swam back to Japan and we're getting a new Toho film in 2024. Kong will lead this film by himself.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

I think we'll see flashbacks to the war between Godzilla and Kong's species. That's why the working title is "origins" and Toho retweeting the announcements, but it'll still mostly be a son of Kong film

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:14 am I think we'll see flashbacks to the war between Godzilla and Kong's species. That's why the working title is "origins" and Toho retweeting the announcements, but it'll still mostly be a son of Kong film
Toho retweeting the announcement means nothing. Even if Godzilla isn't in it at all, it's success is still good for Toho in terms of what happens next, if anything.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:14 am I think we'll see flashbacks to the war between Godzilla and Kong's species. That's why the working title is "origins" and Toho retweeting the announcements, but it'll still mostly be a son of Kong film
Can you remind when they mentioned the title "Origins"?

Added in 2 minutes 22 seconds:
Chrispy_G wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:55 am One film at a time. So much for Godzilla vs Kong being the end. With the right film, Marketing and release push there is no reason to believe this won't be another success. We are getting THIS movie so until it is a disaster we can be happy to have one more movie.

I know some die hards might disagree but GvK hit a lot more positively with "Normies" than most people realize. Bringing that director back with another film in that style could easily be a big recipe for success.

I'm glad we are getting one film at a time instead of a string of factory made product on some weird 2-3 films a year cycle. Let some hype and intrigue build up between releases for crying out loud.

As far as the content of this film, I just get an itch that it isn't JUST going to be a Kong movie or a Kong spin-off of GvK

Something tells me you don't bring back the GvK director just to do a Kong Hollow Earth adventure. I think if there was to be no Godzilla they would probably want to rip that bandaid off right away, officially.

I also have doubts that they would celebrate 10 years of the Monsterverse and 70 years of Godzilla with a Monsterverse movie that features absolute zero Godzilla.

I think they are being cagey about the title because perhaps it is an even bigger and wilder concept than many anticipate.

Godzilla vs Kong is the kind of movie that sold people with the title. Godzilla in one corner, Kong in the other, get your popcorn ready.

What is the next step beyond that? Do you just do a Kong Hollow Earth adventure? Do you just try to run it back with "Godzilla vs Kong Part 2" which doesn't make much sense story wise and in terms of marketing. Just doing it again isn't interesting.

So what's the next tier up? What's the next step beyond "Godzilla vs Kong"? What is another concept that has deep awareness in the fanbase, a longstanding legacy in pop culture, and is another "easy sell" to hype up normies?

Why not though? Except for the fights, the Hollow Earth was the most talked about part of GVK. Not saying Godzilla shouldn't be in the movie; just saying more people might be interested in a Hollow Earth exploration type movie than you think.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Talk to my cousin's friend two days ago. They believe this is Kong 2, no Godzilla. I was told we should have at least Kong 2 and a true Godzilla and Kong together film based on what the MV has going on and the plans pre pandemic.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:56 am

Kotm is an outlier at this point. The first two films did decent and Godzilla vs Kong did well considering it was a pandemic and on HBO Max.

Yes Kotm didn't do too hot, but right now it's the red headed step child, not glass ceiling.
This is just my theory, so hear me out. KOTM kinda failed not only because of competitors like Endgame, but also because the allure of the other kaiju isn’t anywhere near as strong as it is with Godzilla and Kong. Also, I’m pretty sure KOTM’s marketing was way worse than both G14 and KOTM.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:20 am
Toho retweeting the announcement means nothing. Even if Godzilla isn't in it at all, it's success is still good for Toho in terms of what happens next, if anything.
Im not so sure about that. I remember Toho not promoting KSI the same way… not even close… till it got closer to release date. It’s interesting. That’s about it. Could mean anything or nothing
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Sammy19 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:39 pm
Can you remind when they mentioned the title "Origins"?

Added in 2 minutes 22 seconds:
Chrispy_G wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:55 am One film at a time. So much for Godzilla vs Kong being the end. With the right film, Marketing and release push there is no reason to believe this won't be another success. We are getting THIS movie so until it is a disaster we can be happy to have one more movie.

Why not though? Except for the fights, the Hollow Earth was the most talked about part of GVK. Not saying Godzilla shouldn't be in the movie; just saying more people might be interested in a Hollow Earth exploration type movie than you think.

production weekly

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
not woking title but production title like how KOTM was fathom and GvK was apex

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

"What's next? How do we top Godzilla vs. Kong?"

"Ummm.... ummm..... a bunch of Godzillas vs. a bunch of Kongs!"

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:10 pm "What's next? How do we top Godzilla vs. Kong?"

"Ummm.... ummm..... a bunch of Godzillas vs. a bunch of Kongs!"
My butt would be in the seats Day 1.

Added in 1 minute 30 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:18 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:56 am

This is just my theory, so hear me out. KOTM kinda failed not only because of competitors like Endgame, but also because the allure of the other kaiju isn’t anywhere near as strong as it is with Godzilla and Kong. Also, I’m pretty sure KOTM’s marketing was way worse than both G14 and KOTM.
Still miffed they revealed burning godzilla in the trailers and tv spots.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Sammy19 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:45 am Still miffed they revealed burning godzilla in the trailers and tv spots.
That's why I don't watch most of 'em. It works like a charm for dodging spoilers.

... but then I found a toy at Walmart that gave it away.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:26 pm I mean why stop being negative when this is the most likely case?

It's sad but apparently true. Kaiju films are never going to be other genres like superheroes and spy films.
Maybe, but the genre hasn't gone anywhere, has it? I don't understand why it matters so much that these movies aren't cranking out a billion dollars. It's a niche genre. It always has been. It always will be. This is fine, it's surviving.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Apparently Toho has confirmed Godzilla will actually be in this film.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Evidence?

Not only surviving, but thriving. We have a major Hollywood Godzilla film series in progress, and it's making a decent amount of money. Japan is taking the Godzilla series in new directions and into the new medium of anime. New properties like Pacific Rim and Collosal are popping up and some are sticking around. The IDW comics are blazing a trail into crossing over different properties. Merchandise sales are obviously high. The genre is in great shape.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »