Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:30 pm What's interesting is 2024 will be the year of Godzilla's 70th Anniversary. I'm assuming the Apple TV series will come out in 2023 and bridge the gap/wait to the Monsterverse film. But conceivably, we're in for a year of possible 2 Godzilla films, or related Godzilla films, assuming that new Toho Production is indeed a Godzilla movie.
I love era we are in of a pretty good amount of Godzilla content. And don't forget we have 2.5D game based on the Monsterverse coming as well.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gojira2K wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:33 pm While Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-verse is definitely going to be good competition, the untitled Pixar film may not. If we look at how their latest release did, Lightyear did horribly at the box office. Jurassic World: Dominion actually beat it in its second week, and Lightyear hasn't crossed 200 million worldwide. Depending on how buzz that one gets, it may not be that much competition at all. I genuinely think Disney putting their last three films straight to Disney + hurt them a lot.

And I highly doubt the live action Disney movie will be that much competition. Looking back at their list of live action films in the last two (which is surprisingly very little films) none of them have been critical, nor made a lot of money. Unless whatever film it is is going to be a surprise smash hit (which I don't have a lot of confidence for) I doubt it will be much competition either.

Even on the topic of Spider-Man: Beyond the Spider-Verse, there is still two week gap between the two. As long as they market this movie well and get people excited for it, it can do a lot in those two weeks.
Yeah but that was based on Toy Story which was clearly and obvious cashgrab. Chances are this is gonna be a new original Pixar film.

Also Aladdin (2019) which btw was released one week before Godzilla: King of the Monsters and The Lion King (2019) both would like a word with you. Especially when this next live-action Disney film could be another big Disney name like Lilo & Stitch (Which there are plans to do) which is extremely popular in Japan.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Hey, the denial has begun.

Lightyear didn't do well, yes. But I think there are very specific reasons why it didnt. Meanwhile, Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 both grossed over a billion. Soul, Turning Red and Luca were all extremely popular on streaming and in a normal theatrical environment would have don't really well. And there's no way the next SpiderMan film isn't going to go gangbusters. The live action Disney remakes are iffy but depending on what they are they could do just fine as well.

But either way, I look forward to the Disney and MCU hate over the next two years.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojira2K wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:35 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:30 pm What's interesting is 2024 will be the year of Godzilla's 70th Anniversary. I'm assuming the Apple TV series will come out in 2023 and bridge the gap/wait to the Monsterverse film. But conceivably, we're in for a year of possible 2 Godzilla films, or related Godzilla films, assuming that new Toho Production is indeed a Godzilla movie.
I love era we are in of a pretty good amount of Godzilla content. And don't forget we have 2.5D game based on the Monsterverse coming as well.
And this is why I can't understand or comprehend this negativity, specifically in regards to output.

We are eating well! :D
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

But I guess it depends on what your definition of "GODZILLA content" is.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:50 pm
Gojira2K wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:35 pm
And this is why I can't understand or comprehend this negativity, specifically in regards to output.

We are eating well! :D
Yeah, it's like they want it to fail, not allow us to get more stuff. We are actually are getting a decent amount of stuff. The Monsterverse is continuing with another movie, a TV show, an anime, and an original game. They've also been doing game collabs like with PUBG and most recently with Call of Duty, one of, if not the biggest, game franchises ever. And Toho seems to be quite committed to doing there own stuff with Godzilla as well.
Last edited by Gojira2K on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 pm March 2024 is also the same month Spider-Man: Across the Multiverse (Part 2) releases.

Oh boy...

Added in 2 minutes 26 seconds:
And also has to compete with an untitled Pixar film and untitled live-action Disney film.

That's gonna bode really well ain't it?

Godzilla vs. Kong was lucky and had good timing. Things began opening again, barely any competition (It wouldn't have done as well if an MCU film was released close to it), it was the closest exciting thing folks could really look forward to wanting to finally get out.

This film isn't gonna be as lucky.

RIP MonsterVerse. It was great while it lasted.
It's like clockwork every time there's a new movie. Some goofball looking for attention comes in screaming a bunch of irrelevant nonsense
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:34 pm
Can't wait to see all the stupid memes about how terrible Disney and the MCU are and how we should all see the movie 564 times to respect our king and make sure the movie makes a billion dollars.

Of course, it's probably going to be a Kong film anyway, but I expect a lot of butthurt regardless.
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:43 pm Hey, the denial has begun.

Lightyear didn't do well, yes. But I think there are very specific reasons why it didnt. Meanwhile, Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 both grossed over a billion. Soul, Turning Red and Luca were all extremely popular on streaming and in a normal theatrical environment would have don't really well. And there's no way the next SpiderMan film isn't going to go gangbusters. The live action Disney remakes are iffy but depending on what they are they could do just fine as well.

But either way, I look forward to the Disney and MCU hate over the next two years.
Your posts like this are equally if not more so obnoxious than the fans you're making fun of.
Last edited by Titanus_Rodan on Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Then you didn't see enough memes in 2019...

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:46 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:34 pm
Can't wait to see all the stupid memes about how terrible Disney and the MCU are and how we should all see the movie 564 times to respect our king and make sure the movie makes a billion dollars.

Of course, it's probably going to be a Kong film anyway, but I expect a lot of butthurt regardless.
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:43 pm Hey, the denial has begun.

Your posts like this are equally if not more so obnoxious than the fans you're making fun of.
That does not make him wrong, however. Godzilla vs Kong came out in a time where people would see anything at the cinemas if they could. This new film is gonna have a lot of competition and probably won’t make as much.
For Emperor and Empire!

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Kong: Skull Island had a fair amount of competition, but it did fine.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Garzon wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:20 pm Kong: Skull Island had a fair amount of competition, but it did fine.
That's because people like Kong more. :P
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Voyager wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:12 pm That does not make him wrong, however. Godzilla vs Kong came out in a time where people would see anything at the cinemas if they could. This new film is gonna have a lot of competition and probably won’t make as much.
Do you realize how absolutely INSANE it is to make guaranteed box office predictions about a movie that does not come out for another 2 years?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:24 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:12 pm That does not make him wrong, however. Godzilla vs Kong came out in a time where people would see anything at the cinemas if they could. This new film is gonna have a lot of competition and probably won’t make as much.
Do you realize how absolutely INSANE it is to make guaranteed box office predictions about a movie that does not come out for another 2 years?
But no one is actually doing that.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:25 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:24 pm
But no one is actually doing that.
Oh ok...
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 pm March 2024 is also the same month Spider-Man: Across the Multiverse (Part 2) releases.

Oh boy...

Added in 2 minutes 26 seconds:
And also has to compete with an untitled Pixar film and untitled live-action Disney film.

That's gonna bode really well ain't it?

Godzilla vs. Kong was lucky and had good timing. Things began opening again, barely any competition (It wouldn't have done as well if an MCU film was released close to it), it was the closest exciting thing folks could really look forward to wanting to finally get out.

This film isn't gonna be as lucky.

RIP MonsterVerse. It was great while it lasted.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That's speculation on why the movie may or may not do well. That's not "guaranteed box office predictions".

I think its time to move on. Because this is stupid.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

why are we talking about Disney films that will probably get different release dates eventually?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Listen, the MV will continue until it doesn’t. Godzilla and Kong are still huge names and the movies still make money. Like other posters said, enjoy the ride, and see what happens.

I personally don’t expect it to go on for too much longer, but I also didn’t expect Godzilla vs Kong to happen, and yet it did. I think it’s got enough juice in it for a few more movies, at least.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Oh boy

There’s no way of knowing how this movie will do 2 years out, come on now. For one thing, nobody knew Lightyear would flop as hard as it did. And second, two years away means at least SOMETHING is likely to get moved from that release window.

Oh, and idfk why people are still saying “people like Kong more” because that’s not true at all, or at least there’s zero evidence of that being the case.

And who the fuck cares honestly? There’s another MV movie plus two shows. This franchise is going way better than we initially thought it would in 2014
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Ahh yess, I was wondering when the doomers would arrive. It's 2020 all over again.

Added in 19 minutes 51 seconds:
As much as I love the old Kaijus, I want future movies to include new Titans or the Titans from KOTM in the story. With a Hollywood budget, the designs could go crazy and could be possibly remembered as another era of memorable monsters instead of nostalgia.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of the MV. As much as there is to complain about it so far, especially GvK, there's definitely a lot of good things they can take from GvK as well.
Of course, I'm more excited for future Toho-made pictures, but more kaiju is still good kaiju in my book.
Since Toho shared the release date announcement for the sequel, I'm wondering if *some* Toho kaiju is gonna be involved. Rodan and Mothra are still out there, after all.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.