Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by shadowgigan »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:17 pm Personally, I'm on board for pretty much anything. Solo Kong movie, solo Godzilla movie, Godzilla and Kong fighting again, or not, or teaming up against something, I'd be all for a solo Mothra movie or something else that won't happen. Doesn't matter. GvK torpedoed my investment in the overall story and world, so at this point I don't care what happens, and I'm just here to watch big monsters fight. Just entertain me, is all I ask of the Monsterverse now. So I'm GA, basically, just with a little bit of bitterness thrown in.

I just think we need to brace ourselves for lazy, money-grubbing studios to retread financially proven territory, is all.
Basically where I'm at. No longer really invested in the story, but still here for the kaiju lol. Just make it fun.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:24 pm Oh boy I really hope not. Insanely played out at this point.
Next thing you know Godzilla has an ancient rivalry with Behemoth's mom.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

what if the "Son" of Kong is a baby Godzilla he adopts?

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:00 am what if the "Son" of Kong is a baby Godzilla he adopts?
It would make the film significantly more interesting if they go that route (plus, you could still have Kong discover a troop of Kongs in the HE). It's a very popular theory on social media.

A good way to make the film a "Kong" film, but also incorporate Godzilla in it. Maybe have him appear in the 3rd act to help Kong & baby Godzilla fight the big bad of the film.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

......why the fuck would Kong adopt a baby Godzilla?

I know the Godzilla fandom is having a really hard time dealing with the idea that Godzilla might not actually be the center of the universe, but come on guys.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue May 31, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:22 pm ......what the skreeonk would Kong adopt a baby Godzilla?

I know the Godzilla fandom is having a really hard time dealing with the idea that Godzilla might not actually be the center of the universe, but come on guys.
It's really not that far off even though it would be a rip off of the mandalorian (i.e. the protagonist adobts a child whose race/religion is the protagonists ancient hated rival essentially). The public loves cute things, and baby blue is popular, so a baby Godzilla would draw in the baby dinosaur loves while Kong acts as the relatable hero character for the audience to connect with.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:22 pm ......what the skreeonk would Kong adopt a baby Godzilla?

Kong adopting a Baby Godzilla while not my choice is not the crazies idea I've seen as the Monsterverse team seems to be a fan of the 70's showa films and the heisei films.

If Kong found a Baby G, this new Godzilla would have an even closer attachment to humans similar to Jr in the heisei films and would eventually turn into full Super hero 70's Godzilla if raised by Kong.

If would also give Godzilla more characters if he leaves Baby G with Kong or has to take him as Kong can't properly raise him.

I don't believe that's where we're heading though. Last two Kong films have been hinting toward more Kongs and Kong's family.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm open to the idea.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

It would be cool if Kong had to get a baby Godzilla through the Hollow Earth safely and return him to Godzilla.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

1) I actually said this idea on page 3 :lol:

2) Kong finding a baby Godzilla in the hollow earth while possibly protecting it from another evil Kong could push Kong’s character growth more than just finding another Kong. In the former, he chooses another species over his kind, accepting that he is the last. The other he isn't the last Kong, and he simply learns to like his own kind. One is thematically more dense than the latter.

3) For big events with Godzilla there are only 2 left. Destroy all monsters and the "death" of Godzilla. With a baby Godzilla, I'd be a real convienent replacement to have.
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

...soooo basically repeat the story arc from the Heisei series?

Frankly, all I'm really hearing from people responding to this topic is "I can't deal if Godzilla isn't a significant part of the next movie. Solo Kong? No. More Godzilla!"

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:20 am Frankly, all I'm really hearing from people responding to this topic is "I can't deal if Godzilla isn't a significant part of the next movie. Solo Kong? No. More Godzilla!"
This response reminds me a lot of this tweet tbh.

All of the official reporting to come out so far has mentioned Godzilla, so it's worthwhile to consider how the two might appear again while maintaining the peace they achieved at the end of GvK.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:02 pm

It's really not that far off even though it would be a rip off of the mandalorian (i.e. the protagonist adobts a child whose race/religion is the protagonists ancient hated rival essentially). The public loves cute things, and baby blue is popular, so a baby Godzilla would draw in the baby dinosaur loves while Kong acts as the relatable hero character for the audience to connect with.
Imagine the if baby Godzilla looked like Minilla.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Fermix wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:54 am
Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:20 am Frankly, all I'm really hearing from people responding to this topic is "I can't deal if Godzilla isn't a significant part of the next movie. Solo Kong? No. More Godzilla!"

All of the official reporting to come out so far has mentioned Godzilla, so it's worthwhile to consider how the two might appear again while maintaining the peace they achieved at the end of GvK.
Since I don't obsessively follow this, what has been said regarding Godzilla outside of calling this a "Godzilla vs Kong" sequel?

Edit- Also, no one else thinks doing a movie called "Son of Kong" and making the son a baby Godzilla is revoltingly insulting to the Kong character?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue May 31, 2022 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:11 am
Fermix wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:54 am

Since I don't obsessively follow this, what has been said regarding Godzilla outside of calling this a "Godzilla vs Kong" sequel?

Edit- Also, no one else thinks doing a movie called "Son of Kong" and making the son a baby Godzilla is revoltingly insulting to the Kong character?
In the Star Wars fandom, no one thinks that calling Grogu a mandalorian or the child of a mandalorian is revoltingly insulting to Yoda, Boba Fett, or the mandalorians as a group.

And is your aversion to a story about Kong raising a child of his rival species because it's a Godzilla species? Would you feel the same way if he was raising a baby Skullcrawler?

For all the accusations you make about Godzilla fans not being happy at the possibility of Godzilla not being in a monsterverse movie, you're just as fanatical about not wanting the next monsterverse film to have the slightest iota mention of Godzilla being in a solo Kong film.

As been mentioned, some of us think Kong raising a baby Godzilla gives him more character development than just finding his kind only. If it's just finding his race, you're limited to Kong saving his race, earning his place in his race, help achieve peace between his race and Godzilla, or watching his race/family die again. But if you add a baby Godzilla, you have all of the above plus him learning to love something that represents his former hatred, learning to protect something even if it means being isolated away from his blood family, and then even letting go of a new bond once he brings the baby to Godzilla.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It still sounds ridiculous and smacks of this fandom's need to make everything about Godzilla.

And that's just how I feel.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Tue May 31, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:13 pm It still sounds ridiculous and smacks of this fandom's need to make everything about Godzilla.

Legion you are the realistic rock the fourm needs to keep our fantasies from running wild.

As I said before I think Son of Kong is what we are getting him finding a baby Kong or something of the matter.

I was playing devil's advocate however when I said, if he did find a Baby Godzilla I think that could he a power scene for him and Godzilla later if done right.

Godzilla would have to decide if it's best taking the child from Kong to raise it right or leave the child with Kong and Kong would have to decide do I keep my son or send him to where he will best grow up?

It might even get the audience to see Godzilla in a better light if done right.

Personally the Kong solo film is what I would bet the house on as I think Godzilla swimming around Toho right now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I agree with Miguel. It would be a cool concept, but I’m betting it will just be another of Kong’s species.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:13 pm It still sounds ridiculous and smacks of this fandom's need to make everything about Godzilla.

Well, what type of plotlines would you like to see that is Kong only and not a single hint of Godzilla? How do you think Kong could be developed besides just "the adventures of super gorilla"? What character arcs do you want Kong to have that doesn't tie to Godzilla? Since Kong is looking for his race, how do you make that plotline without turning into a planet of the Apes rip off?
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Tue May 31, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

See, this is what I'm talking about. Your post basically translates to "Kong isn't interesting. Godzilla is interesting. Kong needs Godzilla."

Kong can carry his own movie just fine.