Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Voyager wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:15 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:03 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:50 pm Just my two cents, and I know I’m a bit late, but Godzilla hasn’t been a character since 1995. Only in the Showa and Heisei films did Godzilla have real character.
While the execution was not always there, that is objectively false. In GMK, he took pleasure in killing random civilians and was ultimately defeated due to his own anger and pride. In the kiryu films, he rampages because his ancestors bones are disturbed and even roars in sadness and depression after getting drilled by his own father (Keith Aiken confirmed awhile back that Kiryu is Godzilla's father).
In GFW, while it was horribly executed and tact on, he goes through a character arc of letting go of his anger towards humanity for suffering by the Atomic bomb. In KOTM, he roared sadness at Mothra dying. In GvK, he himself goes through a character arc of learning that just because an Alpha titan doesn't submit to him does not mean the alpha is a threat to his rule.
I get GMK, but you’re seeing things in GFW and KOTM that aren’t there. You’re grasping at minuscule straws here.
way to not sound like a condescending asshole

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:02 pm

While the execution was not always there, that is objectively false. In GMK, he took pleasure in killing random civilians and was ultimately defeated due to his own anger and pride. In the kiryu films, he rampages because his ancestors bones are disturbed and even roars in sadness and depression after getting drilled by his own father (Keith Aiken confirmed awhile back that Kiryu is Godzilla's father).
In GFW, while it was horribly executed and tact on, he goes through a character arc of letting go of his anger towards humanity for suffering by the Atomic bomb. In KOTM, he roared sadness at Mothra dying. In GvK, he himself goes through a character arc of learning that just because an Alpha titan doesn't submit to him does not mean the alpha is a threat to his rule.
I get GMK, but you’re seeing things in GFW and KOTM that aren’t there. You’re grasping at minuscule straws here.
Saying someone is grasping at straws is condescending now? Can’t have shit in 2022 :lol:

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
Wouldn’t that make all debating condescending?
For Emperor and Empire!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I know you meant well, but Voyager I don't think meant any offense even though we disagreed on the topic.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's perpetually surprising to me how many different ways there are to watch these movies. We see totally different things in them depending on our mindsets.

But that's not the topic of this thread. So the news release thing turned out to be fake, but I would say that no one should be surprised if Godzilla and Kong fight again soon, and potentially in the next movie. Toho has zero problem trotting Ghidorah, Mothra, and Mechagodzilla back out to fight Godzilla in movie after movie because they're proven moneymakers, and Hollywood has zero problem making the same basic movies over and over again. Put Toho and Hollywood together, and there's no reason to think they won't take the safest, easiest route available to them.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:36 pm It's perpetually surprising to me how many different ways there are to watch these movies. We see totally different things in them depending on our mindsets.

But that's not the topic of this thread. So the news release thing turned out to be fake, but I would say that no one should be surprised if Godzilla and Kong fight again soon, and potentially in the next movie. Toho has zero problem trotting Ghidorah, Mothra, and Mechagodzilla back out to fight Godzilla in movie after movie because they're proven moneymakers, and Hollywood has zero problem making the same basic movies over and over again. Put Toho and Hollywood together, and there's no reason to think they won't take the safest, easiest route available to them.
Considering Legendary's goal was to bring then together I doubt their fighting again especially so soon.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

darthzilla99 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:42 pm

I know you meant well, but Voyager I don't think meant any offense even though we disagreed on the topic.
I said it for me, not for you

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:19 am
JAGzilla wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:36 pm It's perpetually surprising to me how many different ways there are to watch these movies. We see totally different things in them depending on our mindsets.

Considering Legendary's goal was to bring then together I doubt their fighting again especially so soon.
At most, I could see flashbacks to the ancient war and show them fighting in ancient times.

I don't think they will be fighting again but by the same token I don't think they will ever be "friends".
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Profit is the only goal and they'll do whatever is expedient to get it. Story events will be discarded the second they aren't convenient, as GvK very openly displayed.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I mean, after GvK I'd argue the future prospect of Godzilla and Kong vs other monsters is hypothetically more profitable than them just fighting again. Legendary and WB has been pretty vocal about leading up to it so it would be strange to not utilize at all. I doubt they will be straight up allies but the dynamic of grudging yet respecting co-operation sounds fun.

Frankly though I doubt Godzilla will be appearing much in this sequel if at all, and honestly wouldn't mind that. Give him a "rest" and have the new show as a fill while the movie explores Kong and the Hollow Earth lore further.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri May 20, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:03 am I mean, after GvK I'd argue the future prospect of Godzilla and Kong vs other monsters is hypothetically more profitable than them just fighting again. Legendary and WB has been pretty vocal about leading up to it so it would be strange to not utilize at all. I doubt they will be straight up allies but the dynamic of grudging yet respecting co-operation sounds fun.

Frankly though I doubt Godzilla will be appearing much in this sequel if at all, and honestly wouldn't mind that. Give him a "rest" and have the new show as a fill while the movie explores Kong and the Hollow Earth lore further.
IF they are going to include both in a movie then co-operation sounds a lot better than having a rematch.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm not looking forward to all the "If there's no Godzilla I'm not gonna watch it" crap we're going to see if the most important monster in the universe doesn't show up in the next film.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Sammy19 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 am
Dv-218 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:03 am I mean, after GvK I'd argue the future prospect of Godzilla and Kong vs other monsters is hypothetically more profitable than them just fighting again. Legendary and WB has been pretty vocal about leading up to it so it would be strange to not utilize at all. I doubt they will be straight up allies but the dynamic of grudging yet respecting co-operation sounds fun.

IF they are going to include both in a movie then co-operation sounds a lot better than having a rematch.
Absolutely. Wouldn't mind something like them having a "sparring match" of sorts after meeting again but other than that expanding upon them as allies is the way to go imo. Could be a great dynamic to develop both equally.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

Dv-218 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:39 am
Sammy19 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:28 am

Absolutely. Wouldn't mind something like them having a "sparring match" of sorts after meeting again but other than that expanding upon them as allies is the way to go imo. Could be a great dynamic to develop both equally.
It'd be funny seeing Godzilla floating in the HE like Kong did.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Sammy19 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:49 am It'd be funny seeing Godzilla floating in the HE like Kong did.
Honestly, that could be pretty great. He goes striding into the zero gravity area all confidently and Godzilla-ish, not knowing what's going to happen, and then totally loses his composure when he starts floating. Probably while Kong laughs at him. And then Godzilla finds out he can steer himself by firing his ray...

A zero gravity battle (regardless of the specific monsters involved) could be incredible, come to think of it. We've never had anything like that before. I really hope that happens, now...

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:59 am
Sammy19 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:49 am It'd be funny seeing Godzilla floating in the HE like Kong did.
Honestly, that could be pretty great. He goes striding into the zero gravity area all confidently and Godzilla-ish, not knowing what's going to happen, and then totally loses his composure when he starts floating. Probably while Kong laughs at him. And then Godzilla finds out he can steer himself by firing his ray...

A zero gravity battle (regardless of the specific monsters involved) could be incredible, come to think of it. We've never had anything like that before. I really hope that happens, now...
So... You just found a way to recreate the flight scene of GvH in the MV. Jesus, I love you.

Just watched Kong: SI for the first time this year (I think). Man, I would kill for a Marlow spinoff show or movie showing his adventures on the island. He mentions a few creatures we don't see on screen, like the ants. I'd also love to see just what the big triceratops skull belonged to. I know it'd be hard to do given the size differences from 1973 Kong to 2021 Kong, but I'd also love to see his reaction to Godzilla walking through the storm and venturing onto the island for one reason or another.

Added in 1 minute 5 seconds:
Legion1979 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:30 am I'm not looking forward to all the "If there's no Godzilla I'm not gonna watch it" crap we're going to see if the most important monster in the universe doesn't show up in the next film.
100% same.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sat May 21, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Lmao, that's legit brilliant. If this actually happens at some point it would be the peak of MV cinematography :lol:
On a serious note though I agree, the gravity anomalies in the Hollow Earth frankly have a potential for a lot of interesting sequences and situations. Hoping some of it gets explored. And ngl the idea of Godzilla having to adjust to being in the core if he ever arrives there through various unorthodox methods is too amusing to completely pass up.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat May 21, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Are we fairly certain this is gonna actually be a "Godzilla vs. Kong" sequel where they might fight again?

I'm feeling its more of just a placeholder title and if more then anything a Kong sequel.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:40 am

So... You just found a way to recreate the flight scene of GvH in the MV. Jesus, I love you.

Just watched Kong: SI for the first time this year (I think). Man, I would kill for a Marlow spinoff show or movie showing his adventures on the island. He mentions a few creatures we don't see on screen, like the ants. I'd also love to see just what the big triceratops skull belonged to. I know it'd be hard to do given the size differences from 1973 Kong to 2021 Kong, but I'd also love to see his reaction to Godzilla walking through the storm and venturing onto the island for one reason or another.
I mean we getting a Kong skull island anime on Netflix, Who is coming out this year in October. Though I do agree with your statement I love to see the fauna in this universe, they could do so much more without being down down into reality, and I would kill to see that cut white tiger on sceen

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:02 am Are we fairly certain this is gonna actually be a "Godzilla vs. Kong" sequel where they might fight again?

I'm feeling its more of just a placeholder title and if more then anything a Kong sequel.
I think its unavoidable to see them trade a few blows once more. But I don't think it'll be enough to carry the whole film again. More akin to Godzilla bullying Kong around until realizing there's a reason Kong is out of his territory again. Could see Godzilla whooping his ass, Kong getting a good hit in again (like the ax hit) and then managing to communicate with Godzilla as he recovers, instead of trying to prolong the fight like he did in Hong Kong after downing Godzilla.

So yeah, I expect maybe a few minute rumble between them followed by an actual team up storyline. Just not sure how that could also carry a whole film without them actually able to "talk" to one another. I still like the idea of the humans having to get Godzilla to save Kong and the Hollow Earth from a legit threat that has appeared, be it Titan or man-made again.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:02 am Are we fairly certain this is gonna actually be a "Godzilla vs. Kong" sequel where they might fight again?

I’m pretty certain that this is a Kong solo film since we are been hearing son of Kong as of late