Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by vastatosaurus »

You guys are arguing about the character with only a very short description huh? But what if I bring more detailed information?

DanielRPK released some information on Patreon, and since you probably don't want to pay for it, I brought these videos which youtubers read the info as it is.

I know Danielrpk is often wrong. But what you were guys talking about:
gigaraptor99 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:27 pm Apparently new info from KDM;
Spoiler:
The 6 main characters are:
Cate, May. Kentaro. Emiko. Keiko. Hiroshi.
In short and without major spoilers:

Cate goes to Japan, where she discovers that her family has a connection to Monarch. She is a young woman, Japanese-American.
Kentaro: Japanese, Goes to Japan from London... within the storyline, Kentaro finds out more about his "mysterious" father.
Kentaro's mother: Emiko
Kentaro's father: Hiroshi. Hiroshi is a scientist who cares more about his work than his family. As the story unfolds, Kentaro finds out who his father really is and what connects him to Monarch.
May: super-intelligent young lady. ALWAYS 2-3 steps ahead of all other characters.
Cate also finds out about a past "secret" and a connection to the secret organization called the MONARCH. In the course of the story, the characters meet each other and have to realize that "time" is running, and the "new" world where monsters exist will bring a big change, because Godzilla and the MUTOs are not the only monsters whose Existence one now tries to keep secret.
was what TR posted a 24 hours later than Daniel RPK did. You guys trust TR a lot, right? Therefore, I think this detailed info from DanielRPK is quite reliable.

Of course, this is still a rumor and can turn out to be wrong, and even if it is true, it can be changed at any time because it is an early script.

If it turns out to be true, honestly, I think we should be prepared for this human part to come out in a typically annoying way in Hollywood these days.
Last edited by vastatosaurus on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TKDM
Samurai

Post by TKDM »

TR mentioned names like „Cate“ January 21 first on his private FB and IG

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:41 pm
ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:58 pm
SG-17 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:14 pm AppleTV? Goddamn it. Why not HBO MAX? I don't want to sub to yet another skreeonking service.
damn, Godzilla is one of the franchises that I'd like to not pirate.
You’re really going to go through all that trouble just to avoid paying $4.99 that you can easily cancel after watching the series?
it's not really a lot of trouble. I suppose will make use of Apple's 7 day free trial tho.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

https://deadline.com/2022/01/legendary- ... 234923239/

Legendary sells minority sake in company…
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:39 pm https://deadline.com/2022/01/legendary- ... 234923239/

Legendary sells minority sake in company…
Sells A* minority stake in the company and retains creative control of operations

This is a very good thing.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I’m not sure if it is. It could be. Wanda has wanted to divest it’s stock in Legendary for a while now after some big losses.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 pm I’m not sure if it is. It could be. Wanda has wanted to divest it’s stock in Legendary for a while now after some big losses.
What losses?
The minority investment comes after Legendary had its most profitable year to date in 2021, the company said in announcing the transaction. It is ramping up production on a number of new film and TV projects, in the U.S. and globally.
Last edited by Titanus_Rodan on Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:02 pm I’m not sure if it is. It could be. Wanda has wanted to divest it’s stock in Legendary for a while now after some big losses.
Apollo sees Legendary as marketable and is trying to get some of that profit. Basically they liked what Dune and Godzilla vs Kong did.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -deal-hunt

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnchmiel ... 193777f183

And then look at their back catalogue as well, very few hits once Tull left:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ures_films

I’m going to guess that the announcement last week was meant to drive up the sales price for this stock. Show these new investors that the company still had good IP in its hands. Not sure that worked out in their favor as the GA feedback was largely “meh”

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:15 pm https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -deal-hunt

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnchmiel ... 193777f183

And then look at their back catalogue as well, very few hits once Tull left:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ures_films

I’m going to guess that the announcement last week was meant to drive up the sales price for this stock. Show these new investors that the company still had good IP in its hands. Not sure that worked out in their favor as the GA feedback was largely “meh”
Uhhh...did you read the articles by chance?
Legendary, which is profitable on its own, may decide not to do anything
The film industry is notoriously hit or miss, but Legendary and partner Warner Bros. have had the biggest blockbuster of the pandemic in “Godzilla vs. Kong.” The movie generated more than $400 million in ticket sales worldwide -- despite being released simultaneously on AT&T Inc.’s HBO Max streaming service. Legendary also has a growing TV lineup, including “Enola Holmes,” which appeared on Netflix.

The company has held exploratory talks with special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs) about the possibility of going public. The discussions are preliminary, sources say, and may not result in any deal. Insiders insist the studio isn’t in financial distress, and is profitable with plenty of cash on hand.
Wanda’s investments in Hollywood were part of a surge of interest from Chinese investors. Billionaire Jack Ma’s Alibaba Group formed a $300 million film fund with partner Wuhu Gopher Asset Management in 2016, and Tencent took a minority stake in Skydance Media, a production company founded by David Ellison, son of software billionaire Larry Ellison. Since then, the glamor faded as China emerged as the world’s largest movie market, surpassing the U.S. in ticket sales.

Wang has been shedding assets as he seeks to reduce Wanda’s debt and turnaround his real estate and entertainment empire. He sold Wanda’s hotel and tourism portfolio for over $9 billion in 2017, then hawked its 17% stake in the Spanish soccer club Atletico Madrid a year later.
Not one of these articles mentioned anything about Legendary itself being in financial trouble.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Yes. I’m sure a press release by the company will explicitly state that they’re in financial distress. That’s exactly the message one would want to convey when trying to sell portions of your company.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:33 pm Yes. I’m sure a press release by the company will explicitly state that they’re in financial distress. That’s exactly the message one would want to convey when trying to sell portions of your company.
Now you're just making things up without any facts or evidence to back that claim up.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:37 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:33 pm Yes. I’m sure a press release by the company will explicitly state that they’re in financial distress. That’s exactly the message one would want to convey when trying to sell portions of your company.
Now you're just making things up without any facts or evidence to back that claim up.

Unlike what you’re doing….right…..

At least mine has some basis in how business actually works.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:39 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:37 pm

Unlike what you’re doing….right…..

At least mine has some basis in how business actually works.
I posted quotes from the sources you provided.
You accusing them of lying is an opinion not a fact.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Not lying. Industry speak.

You’re taking everything at face value and not looking at the entire picture or the cash flows.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:44 pm Not lying. Industry speak.

You’re taking everything at face value and not looking at the entire picture or the cash flows.

Weren't you just looking strictly at the box office for Legendary's movies and coming to a conclusion without looking at the entire picture on how movies make money?

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Alright man. This will just go round and round with you I can sense. Have fun. I’m sure you’ll get your solo Varan and Gabara films in no time

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:53 pm Alright man. This will just go round and round with you I can sense. Have fun. I’m sure you’ll get your solo Varan and Gabara films in no time
WTF does that have to do with whether Legendary is a financially stable company or not? That's just goofy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Alright, let's get back to using this topic to discuss the new show and not Legendary's financial situation or any news involving the company that don't have anything to do with the show.

Handsome Shrek
G-Grasper

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Interesting concept, though not especially exciting. Guess we will have to wait and see what happens with this. Would’ve preferred a Godzilla 3 but eh

That said, I never though Cobra Kai was going to be as damn good as it was, so there’s proof that you never do know for sure if something will suck or be a win
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated