Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
UltramanGoji

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by UltramanGoji »

Chris55 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 am
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:27 am
Even though they're full of shit, We got this covered did say a Godzilla monarch series was coming back during Godzilla vs Kong's marketing.
The show was being mentioned as a possibility during KOTM's press. It sure is nice to see it all come to fruition!
Yeah, there's always been talk of a Monarch/MonsterVerse TV show since at least KSI, even if it was mostly fan discussion around that time.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Chris55 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:13 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 pm
Chris55 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:16 am The show was being mentioned as a possibility during KOTM's press. It sure is nice to see it all come to fruition!
Could you please give me the source? I tried to search on my own, but I couldn't find it.

Or are you talking about this?

(At 14:45)
Mike's interview with me as well

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/godzil ... -coverage/
Oh cool. Thanks very much

gigaraptor99
Samurai

Post by gigaraptor99 »

Apparently new info from KDM;
Spoiler:
The 6 main characters are:
Cate, May. Kentaro. Emiko. Keiko. Hiroshi.
In short and without major spoilers:

Cate goes to Japan, where she discovers that her family has a connection to Monarch. She is a young woman, Japanese-American.
Kentaro: Japanese, Goes to Japan from London... within the storyline, Kentaro finds out more about his "mysterious" father.
Kentaro's mother: Emiko
Kentaro's father: Hiroshi. Hiroshi is a scientist who cares more about his work than his family. As the story unfolds, Kentaro finds out who his father really is and what connects him to Monarch.
May: super-intelligent young lady. ALWAYS 2-3 steps ahead of all other characters.
Cate also finds out about a past "secret" and a connection to the secret organization called the MONARCH. In the course of the story, the characters meet each other and have to realize that "time" is running, and the "new" world where monsters exist will bring a big change, because Godzilla and the MUTOs are not the only monsters whose Existence one now tries to keep secret.
“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

''Mankind is poised midway between the gods and the beasts, that may have been true in Plotinus time, but clearly we've fallen quite a way since then."

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:02 am We Got This Covered were just one of the several that covered it I think even Andy Signore did a video on it as well. Speaking of YouTube pundits I'm actually surprised that John Campea is actually interested in the show I was expecting him to diss it.
I'm not. He really enjoyed GvK.

I think once we start seeing trailers & more info on the show, we'll get more interest from the general audience.

Most people enjoyed GvK, so I'm pretty confident we'll get goodwill from the GA on the show & the next film(s). The future of the MonsterVerse is looking pretty good.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gigaraptor99 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:27 pm Apparently new info from KDM;
Who?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spoiler:

Cate goes to Japan, where she discovers that her family has a connection to Monarch. She is a young woman, Japanese-American.
Kentaro: Japanese, Goes to Japan from London... within the storyline, Kentaro finds out more about his "mysterious" father.
Kentaro's father: Hiroshi. Hiroshi is a scientist who cares more about his work than his family. As the story unfolds, Kentaro finds out who his father really is and what connects him to Monarch.
May: super-intelligent young lady. ALWAYS 2-3 steps ahead of all other characters.
Cate also finds out about a past "secret" and a connection to the secret organization called the MONARCH. In the course of the story, the characters meet each other and have to realize that "time" is running, and the "new" world where monsters exist will bring a big change, because Godzilla and the MUTOs are not the only monsters whose Existence one now tries to keep secret.
Could
Spoiler:
Cate be Kentaro's love interest?
Also, the character of
Spoiler:
May gives me worries that they'll start kowtowing to the SJW crowd.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:52 pm
Spoiler:

Could
Spoiler:
Also, the character of
Spoiler:

Dude don't turn into one of those people.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I don't even get how May could be "SJW bait".

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Not a fan of wokism in films, but I'm not understanding how you pulled that out of a name.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It’s actually pretty interesting to go back in time… especially with a franchise like this. I’m sensing a lot more human drama than we’re use to though for something Godzilla related. Which is fine but need to make tge Godzilla/Titans moments worthwhile.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

I’m pretty sure Apple didn’t spend all that money outbidding other studios for this project for it not to have a decent amount of Godzilla/Titan action

Remember we’re in the streaming wars and Apple needs established IP’s to compete with the other services. I wouldn’t be surprised for them to make this series a huge priority
Last edited by Titanus_Rodan on Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I have no expectations for this show (I'd love for it to be amazing, but I have a gut feeling it won't), so I don't really care about spoilers at present. As such, I think I'll actually stick around and follow the speculation this time. I've mostly missed out on the movie buildup, and I've always regretted that. I can already see that this thread is going to be a better show than anything Apple comes out with. We're only in the first episode, and there's already a delightfully caustic brew of emotional drama simmering. Hope. Hype. Fear. Desperation. Delusion. Belligerence. It's all here, and set to explode later in the season. *grabs popcorn*
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:36 am I’m pretty sure Apple didn’t spend all that money outbidding other studios for this project for it not to have a decent amount of Godzilla/Titan action

Remember we’re in the streaming wars and Apple needs established IP’s to compete with the other services. I wouldn’t be surprised for them to make this series a huge priority
checking their current and upcoming slat this is basically the biggest show they have upcoming/made

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I hoping to see the other Titans.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

^ That's pretty much a guarantee at this point.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

I really want to see Tiamat in live-action. That’s one of my big hopes.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

SG-17 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:14 pm AppleTV? Goddamn it. Why not HBO MAX? I don't want to sub to yet another fucking service.
damn, Godzilla is one of the franchises that I'd like to not pirate.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:58 pm
SG-17 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:14 pm AppleTV? Goddamn it. Why not HBO MAX? I don't want to sub to yet another skreeonking service.
damn, Godzilla is one of the franchises that I'd like to not pirate.

You’re really going to go through all that trouble just to avoid paying $4.99 that you can easily cancel after watching the series?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:52 pm May gives me worries that they'll start kowtowing to the SJW crowd.
Did someone actually just use that word in 2022? Actual cringe right there
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The characters here sound...fine enough, I guess. Its not a lot to go off of but they don't sound particularly interesting for me. This sounds like some plotline Ive seen a dozen times before.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:52 pmCould
Spoiler:
Also, the character of
Spoiler:
I think the term you're looking for is
Spoiler:
mary-sue.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)