Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by miguelnuva »

Bluezilla wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:46 pm I have my doubts that anything from the comics will be considered as canon to this series.
What I’d love to see is for the series be split between present and past. The movies kind of set it up with their credit crawls of news stories and excerpts of Monarch files. In the present have a family with a Monarch connection find old concealed Monarch case files, reading them with perhaps competing elements in pursuit of them and the data. The past will be with the people who investigated and experienced the events and where we will get the Titans of various types.
Muto Prime is in the KOTM film and Novel in the background and Shinomura is mentioned in the KOTM novel. Godzilla vs Kong mentions things that happened in the Kong comics.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Moogabunga wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm I know this guy was around for the buildup to GvK (possibly even KOTM) and I cannot remember if he was legitimate or not...but just in case

look at his previous prediction, if his previous predictions became true than he is reliable.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:26 pm I feel like he wasn’t….

Also. This stuff is pretty generic. Anyone could guess this…
He was, he knew of the heavs, Kong floating through the hollow earth and other examples two years in advance. He’s in the industry
Last edited by Monke on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

It being based after G14 is pretty fascinating to be honest
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I agree. It’ll be cool if the 2014 design returns as well.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:01 pm I agree. It’ll be cool if the 2014 design returns as well.
I think it definitely going to happen.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Yeah, I'm on team the comics are probably going to get retconned. Like, I'd be surprised if anything in them isn't completely contradictory to the tv show after its completion.

Edit: Not that I really want it to happen, honestly I don't really care either way, but I hardly see Legendary putting this much money and effort to create a tv show only to severely hinder what it could contain because of a few pieces of promotional merchandise they released a couple years ago. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the KOTM line about godzilla not having shown up since 14 gets retconned either, although considering its a tv show, I'm not expecting it to go so far in the opposite direction. I'll gladly eat my words if I'm proven wrong.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Moogabunga wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:55 pm I know this guy was around for the buildup to GvK (possibly even KOTM) and I cannot remember if he was legitimate or not...but just in case

Husband, wife and daughter.

Hmmm.

Mark, Emma, and Madison were shown during the events of G14 in the opening of King of the Monsters? Do you think...

Nah I doubt it.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:26 pm

Husband, wife and daughter.

Hmmm.

Mark, Emma, and Madison were shown during the events of G14 in the opening of King of the Monsters? Do you think...

Nah I doubt it.
This instagram guy told the story of this TV show as like: A family discovers they have a connection to the secret organization Monarch and tries to reveal "something".

And this is the official synopsis:
Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real, the series explores one family’s journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch.

By 2014, Mark and Emma had already worked in Monarch for a long time. So I don't think they fit in this story. But who knows....

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If it were the Russell's, they probably would've been name-dropped in the press release.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:16 pm Yeah, I'm on team the comics are probably going to get retconned. Like, I'd be surprised if anything in them isn't completely contradictory to the tv show after its completion.

Edit: Not that I really want it to happen, honestly I don't really care either way, but I hardly see Legendary putting this much money and effort to create a tv show only to severely hinder what it could contain because of a few pieces of promotional merchandise they released a couple years ago. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the KOTM line about godzilla not having shown up since 14 gets retconned either, although considering its a tv show, I'm not expecting it to go so far in the opposite direction. I'll gladly eat my words if I'm proven wrong.
They're not retconing the comics. Legendary is well aware of what happens and where the comics fit other than Awakening which has mistakes.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

We need to see Shinomura and MUTO prime. Checking the ruins of San Fran and Vegas would be cool. And maybe a horror episode with skullcrawlers.
Last edited by imposterzilla on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:16 pm Yeah, I'm on team the comics are probably going to get retconned. Like, I'd be surprised if anything in them isn't completely contradictory to the tv show after its completion.

You probably won't be. This is probably the smartest, most logical prediction I've read here so far.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I know this is a twisted mind, but I think it'll be fun to see MV comics fans despair because this TV show completely ignore the comics. I also bought the MV graphic novels and I like them, but I don't care about setting consistency.

In fact, whether I think so or not, MV has not been working hard to keep the consistency of the setting. And Muto Prime's setting is so crude that it doesn't seem bad for Godzilla: Aftershock to become a non-cannon.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Yeah, I don't think they'd let Aftershock limit what they wanted to do with this story in any way, so I wouldn't be surprised if that got retconned. However, I don't think they'd retcon the declaration that Godzilla hasn't been seen by the public since 2014. Monarch has defintely seen him but not the general populace. So, I think Godzilla's screen time will be in the ocean and on islands.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:37 pm
They're not retconing the comics. Legendary is well aware of what happens and where the comics fit other than Awakening which has mistakes.
I fail to see a situation where they genuinely consider the influence of these comics at all. If you look at the history of tie in media and large franchises, it really doesn't bode well for them. Movies get released, companies license the ip out to make some money on the hype surrounding the film, and the surrounding content is largely forgotten when its time to release movie 2. If the established lore of these types of ancillary media is even taken into account by the creative teams, I imagine it is often quickly disregarded as soon as it becomes a burden to the stories they want to tell. Things like the Godzilla vs Kong novelization seem to be completely unknown by the larger creative teams (Adam Wingard had no idea it even existed). Hell, while all I can find are some click-baity news sites and the answer seems to be largely vague, it appears the same thing may be happening to Marvel's Agents of Shield, a full on television show with seven seasons that currently seems to occupy a position of being "maybe-cannon".

Look, I'm not going to get into a big argument about this, I fully admit as of now we have no official source on whether the comics will or won't be retconned. And after this post I'm not going to touching this subject again, I'm more than ok with agreeing to disagree. I just personally wouldn't hold my breath about their stories being preserved.
He Jock it Made of Steel

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I mean, if it was a very well-written work, it would have been disappointing to be ignored or retconned. But for MV comics, um...I don't know. Especially Aftershock... It is really inefficient if a big budget live-action TV show is restricted in its creativity because of that one volume of crude story.

Added in 24 minutes 3 seconds:
I understand that many people are worried about the amount of monster screen time. Still, if you sum up the total screen time of the monsters throughout the season, it will come out quite a bit. These days, TV shows spend between $100 ~ $200 million on production. It may be possible to produce a CG similar to movies. So far, the amount of Godzilla screen time in each MV Godzilla films has been all around 10 minutes. Wouldn't this TV show also have more than 10 minutes of total Godzilla scene throughout the season?

Of course, if it's a 10 episodes series according to the rumor, Godzilla will come out for about a minute in each episode if we average....But It may not be bad if they combine the amount of other monsters' screen time and efficiently distribute Godzilla's parts. Like, Godzilla doesn't have to appear in every episodes. So most of all, the human plot line has to be fun to follow. Considering these things, I hope this series will proceed more concisely in fewer episodes than in ten episodes. Like 6 or 7?

I really enjoyed Godzilla Sp, but this also has much more human parts than monster parts. As I counted, when the four forms are combined, the amount of Godzilla screen time seems to be 13 minutes to 13 minutes and 30 seconds over 13 episodes. Also, to average, it is about a minute for each episode. However, it was worth watching because it made the human plot line fun. There were other monsters, too.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Are people speculating that this series will retcon everything-post 2014 and follow a new timeline?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:27 pm ^Are people speculating that this series will retcon everything-post 2014 and follow a new timeline?
I dont think ANYONE is crazy enough to think the actual FILMS are going to be retconned.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:27 pm ^Are people speculating that this series will retcon everything-post 2014 and follow a new timeline?
no ... I don't think anyone thinks that. The furthest I said I wouldn't be surprised if they retcon the line about no 2014-2019 Godzilla sightings in KOTM to allow for more godzilla screen time, if they end up giving goji any decent screen time (which might not even happen who knows).
He Jock it Made of Steel