Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by Moogabunga »

I hope this means they use Godzilla's design from 2014 and I certainly hope they explore the fallout of humanity actually discovering these Titans exist and what the means for society at large (just because it's somewhat alluded to in a very early synopsis doesn't mean it'll actually happen)
Last edited by Moogabunga on Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Moogabunga wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:10 pm I hope this means they use Godzilla's design from 2014 and I certainly hope they explore the fallout of humanity actually discovering these Titans exist and what the means for society at large (just because it's somewhat alluded to in a very early synopsis doesn't mean it'll actually happen)
Or a new/different design. Nothing radical, but it's possible! An in between stage or something
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 pm
Moogabunga wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:10 pm I hope this means they use Godzilla's design from 2014 and I certainly hope they explore the fallout of humanity actually discovering these Titans exist and what the means for society at large (just because it's somewhat alluded to in a very early synopsis doesn't mean it'll actually happen)
Or a new/different design. Nothing radical, but it's possible! An in between stage or something
I agree, there are features from both designs I would combine to get a definitive Legendary Godzilla,
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

The 5 year gap between 2014 and KOTM has so much storytelling possibilities. The different Monarch facilities, what Godzilla was up to in that time span, etc

I’m really excited to see what Chris Black and Matt Fraction come up with. They’ve got a good track record.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I guess this means Legendary has full ownership over the MonsterVerse now. Considering what Warner did to Godzilla vs Kong and what they're doing to the DCEU, consider me glad.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:01 pm The 5 year gap between 2014 and KOTM has so much storytelling possibilities. The different Monarch facilities, what Godzilla was up to in that time span, etc

I’m really excited to see what Chris Black and Matt Fraction come up with. They’ve got a good track record.
Not to mention that despite what people want to believe/think there's actually very little continuity between the films. Godzilla just randomly shows up in all three monster verse films. Easy to have adventures and/other things going on in those gaps.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Desghidorah wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:06 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:55 pm
Chris55 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 pm

"Legendary already is developing the next untitled film set in the Monsterverse but saw potential in developing a series and began talking to buyers that were interested"

https://deadline.com/2022/01/apple-tv-g ... 234916545/
Holy poop that's awesome.
Yeah what they said. Seems like my speculation that they were brainstorming projects since the end of GvK's production and were just spending time polishing them, weighing options, and we'd hear something within a year panned out. Two series and a movie, they are going full steam ahead and firing on all guns :)
Mentions of a TV show go back to the KOTM press tour so it's my guess that this one was being thought about for a while.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Maybe see Shinomura finally

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Moogabunga wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:53 pm
Is this family going to be the Brody's? If not, I could do it either with or without. I'm a man who believes in second chances.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

I am assuming that we won’t get any other Toho monsters besides Godzilla right? Most likely, if we get more monsters other than, they’ll be original ones.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Expanding on my last post, I think a TV show could be an opportunity for the Monsterverse to redeem itself in the human character department.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:12 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:01 pm The 5 year gap between 2014 and KOTM has so much storytelling possibilities. The different Monarch facilities, what Godzilla was up to in that time span, etc

Not to mention that despite what people want to believe/think there's actually very little continuity between the films. Godzilla just randomly shows up in all three monster verse films. Easy to have adventures and/other things going on in those gaps.
Heisei and early showa are really the only times Godzilla would be near where we left him in the last adventure. But yes the Monsterverse has very loose continuity.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 pm Expanding on my last post, I think a TV show could be an opportunity for the Monsterverse to redeem itself in the human character department.
Honestly man I'm just glad we got some fresh talent involved and if these guys do a good job then bring them over for the movies.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:25 pm
Is this family going to be the Brody's? If not, I could do it either with or without. I'm a man who believes in second chances.
I’m thinking it’s the Randa grandchildren. They would have heard plenty of tales about their crazy Grandpa only to see them all be real in 2014.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Bluezilla wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:23 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:25 pm
I’m thinking it’s the Randa grandchildren. They would have heard plenty of tales about their crazy Grandpa only to see them all be real in 2014.
I think the Randa family would be perfect
Last edited by imposterzilla on Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well, the Monsterverse is moving! That's good. A year of no news, and things were getting slow and dull around here. This was the first year since roughly 2010 that we had no officially announced Godzilla content to look forward to, and it was honestly a pretty strange feeling. Glad it's finally over.

This series in particular... I dunno. There's potential, obviously, but it seems like a questionable point in the timeline to focus on, and could end up being dull on the monster action front. We'll see, I guess. I'm just going to keep my hopes high and expectations low until a trailer comes along.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

I’m really not understanding how some fans on here are expressing skepticism or making assumptions about the amount of monster action without having even seen a trailer yet. Like where’s the fun in that?

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 am I’m really not understanding how some fans on here are expressing skepticism or making assumptions about the amount of monster action without having even seen a trailer yet. Like where’s the fun in that?
I agree however that is indeed my worry that the monster screen time will be extremely cut short. Let’s hope at least it’s not too much “cut away” stuff like 2014
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 am I’m really not understanding how some fans on here are expressing skepticism or making assumptions about the amount of monster action without having even seen a trailer yet. Like where’s the fun in that?
Going back to 2014 only serves the stroy lowering the expectations for Ttans. After kotm all Titans are awake, after GvsK interferes with the future and after skull island means no Godzilla.

2014 will allow limited Titans to interact.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Well this is unexpected. I’m game. I quite enjoy the monsterverse so a tv series sounds like fun to me.

Not thrilled about it being on AppleTV+ for the sole reason I already have more streaming subscriptions than I want and I don’t wish to add more. Luckily I have a family member who’ll let me use their subscription to see this show. (Remember the days of loaning out/trading vhs tapes? Now it’s streaming passwords…. Lol)