Monsterverse Missteps

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Monsterverse Missteps

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

-Killing of Joe Brody.
-The cutaways.
-Aside from Kong: Skull Island. The human characters for the most part with the exception of Joe Brody and Serizawa.
-Emma Russell. Just her...Alan Jonah easily could have been enough to give the "Humans are evil! Save the earth!" speech.
-Having Godzilla nearly killed by the oxygen destroyer in King of the Monsters. King of the Monsters should have been King Ghidorah sending titans to fight Godzilla who would fight and defeat them but not killing them forcing them to submit showing his dominance before finally facing King Ghidorah. Honestly Godzilla having needed the human's help to recover kinda demeans the title movie and really doesn't deserve his title if he couldn't do this all on his own.
-Subplots of Godzilla vs. Kong. One of my biggest gripes being the movie feeling like two movies mashed together that could have been their own separate films instead focusing on those more and barely being a Vs. film.
-Godzilla and Kong teaming up (I didn't oppose to it but would have preferred the film been just about their fight and then them teaming up in later movie). Regardless do appreciate how it was done and executed with it being clear they weren't exactly allies but acknowledges each other before parting ways.
-The whole King Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla fiasco. Comes off as Zod-Doomsday all over again. I wouldn't have minded it if it were saved for Godzilla 3 in my version of the MonsterVerse. It just makes people compare Godzilla vs. Kong to the trash Batman vs. Superman even more so especially given the now overdone and annoying Save Martha/Save Mothra memes which have now grown old.
-Wasting Ren's character to literally a background character/normal mook.
-Picking Adam Wingard as director of Godzilla vs. Kong. Godzilla vs. Kong turned out better then I had expected and still liked it in the end despite many flaws but IMO Wingard wasn't the right choice for this.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think the inclusion of Mechagodzilla in GvK was a big mistake. Could just as easily have been King Ghidorah which would have been way more exciting than Mechagodzilla imo
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:00 am I think the inclusion of Mechagodzilla in GvK was a big mistake. Could just as easily have been King Ghidorah which would have been way more exciting than Mechagodzilla imo
Or Mecha-King Ghidorah for that matter. I think that would have been better.

Also would have saved all that and the whole APEX conspiracy for Godzilla 3. The hollow earth subplot being saved for Kong 2. At least how my version of the MonsterVerse would have went that is.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Yeah the idea of a rogue billionaire trying to use industry to create a Titan avatar for humanity to best nature is an interesting potential origin for a Mechagodzilla and enough to merit an interesting Godzilla film.
Plus I just se King Ghidorah being a much more deserving opponent for a Kong/Godzilla team up..
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Like the Heisei series I would of had the rogue billionaire or whoever from APEX attempting Mecha-King Ghidorah at first, once that failed, he would have went to doing Mechagodzilla next created from the metal left of Mecha-King Ghidorah.

Then a good way for King Ghidorah to come back is through his regeneration (Whatever flesh was left of him after fighting Godzilla as Mecha-King Ghidorah) leading to an eventual team-up between Godzilla and Kong against him in a future movie.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:20 am -The whole King Ghidorah-Mechagodzilla fiasco. Comes off as Zod-Doomsday all over again. I wouldn't have minded it if it were saved for Godzilla 3 in my version of the MonsterVerse. It just makes people compare Godzilla vs. Kong to the trash Batman vs. Superman even more so
What's with you disrespecting BvS/DCEU every time you mention GvK?

The MV and Snyder's DCEU have a ton in common as far as creating epic fantastical sci-fi stories.

Putting Ghidorah's brain in a giant mech is absolutely genius in terms of homage and creating a true singular arch nemesis for Godzilla.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:13 pmWhat's with you disrespecting BvS/DCEU every time you mention GvK?

The MV and Snyder's DCEU have a ton in common as far as creating epic fantastical sci-fi stories.

Putting Ghidorah's brain in a giant mech is absolutely genius in terms of homage and creating a true singular arch nemesis for Godzilla.
I do love Shazam! and The Suicide Squad. Definitely looking forward to Black Adam being my most anticipated film next year. Far from disrespecting the DCEU. Also like Joker even though that isn't DCEU but still a DC film never the less. As for Batman vs. Superman, my opinion ain't changing, it's trash in my opinion and I stand by that. If you like it that's cool, that's your opinion I can't change that so to each their own. I'm at this point I'm starting to prefer DC movies over Marvel.

Also regarding Ghidorah's brain in Mechagodzilla. Like I said if it were saved for Godzilla 3, I wouldn't have minded it.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Ah 1990s, did anything ever change?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Ghidorah’s wrath being brought down by the lack of dwelling on the scene in Washington. Should have been like GTTHM and GvKG.
For Emperor and Empire!

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

Not Bringing Bear Mccreary Back for Godzilla vs Kong and not having the Garegoji Design for King of The Monsters.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Logan268 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:38 pm Not Bringing Bear Mccreary Back for Godzilla vs Kong and not having the Garegoji Design for King of The Monsters.
Actually, Yeah....this is personal preference but I dig this.

As much as I wanted them to make EVERY single change they did with the Garegoji design at the time (seriously, it's like Dougherty was reading my mind)....in retrospect, the Garegoji design had better proportions and it was unique. It just had a very "this is the American Godzilla" vibe to it....something kind of a throwback to B-movies from the 50s, while honoring Toho's take filtered through naturalism.

Garegoji is honestly my favorite Godzilla design. (It's a shame so much of the merchandise isn't up to par).

Mccreary....nuff said. But with that, the single biggest flaw of GKOTM for me (beyond not letting the fight scenes "breathe" a little more), is that the sound mix tramples over the score. They could still tweak this for a future home video release, so there's hope here. Just crank up the score volume so that it's a little more in your face like the GvK score.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Yeah, the '14 design was perfect for the Monsterverse, except the feet. The Monsterarts figure gave it all the tweaks I would have. I also wish they'd stuck with the gas flame effect from '14, it's way more visually interesting and distinct from what came before than the traditional beam from KOTM and GvK.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Spoiling their best scenes in trailers

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

If what I fear is true, GxK as a whole

GoKelley86
Samurai

Post by GoKelley86 »

Because I'm a nitpicky jerk, here are my Top 5 Mistakes from Each Movie + Monarch: Legacy of Monsters!

Godzilla (2014)
1) Killing Joe Brody - Duh
2) Having Joe Brody, Dr. Graham, and Dr. Serisawa appear in 1999 and again in 2014 with absolutely no signs of aging - Look, 15 years is a pretty big time gap. How do they all look exactly the same in 1999 and 2014?
3) Not having Godzilla at Janjira - I think it would have been great if Godzilla showed up in Janjira (obviously obscured from vision before his big reveal in Honolulu) in response to the MUTOs and paint Godzilla as the villain initially, only to reveal the MUTOs later and ensure that Godzilla was responding to them.
4) Visibility in the climactic scene - This is a problem with the home video version, obviously. I don't know how everything could look crystal clear in the movie theater, and then have it be a darkened mess in the home video transfer. That shouldn't happen, right?
5) Ford didn't deactivate the bomb - I don't know, but it was his skill that he was known for. It would have been nice if he actually did it.

Kong: Skull Island (2017)
1) Killing Bill Randa - I felt like he needed to be in the movie more and needed some kind of a payoff. He was the one that started everything, so just killing him off in a non-climax action scene felt wrong.
2) Killing Ikari off screen - Would have been nice to see him and Marlow together.
3) Brie Larson's Character in the final battle - How on Earth did she survive all of that? I feel like she should have been squished at least 3 or 4 times during all of that.
4) Not putting a Toho Monster in there - Would have been nice if Kumonga and Kamacurus showed up.
5) The Music - Not a very memorable score.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
1) Action scenes in the rain - I guess this was done to hide imperfections in the CGI, but I would have liked to have better visuals for the monster action instead of having everything obscured.
2) No lyrics for Mothra's theme - Would have been nice.
3) No Rodan vs. Godzilla - Again, would have been nice.
4) Use of Charles Dance's character - Instead of using him for a post credit and never appearing again, I'd have rather seen him involved in the climax and killed by Godzilla in some kind of karmic justice.
5) More Behemoth - This is more of an issue with the MV as a whole. We need more of that guy, haha.

Godzilla vs. Kong (2021)
1) Not using the Serasawa connection - Feels weird that one of the bad guys is literally the son of Monarch's face and they did nothing with that in the final film.
2) No Bear McCreary - He killed it for KOTM...would have liked to see him come back.
3) No Rodan - Where is he?
4) Why Josh? - Did he really need to be there?
5) Not enough Warbats - Those monsters are too cool to use as just jobbers for Kong to beat up.

Monarch (2023-2024)
1) Not enough Ion Dragon - It should have been the big bad of the show, but felt insigificant until the very end when it battled Godzilla.
2) The Time Line jumping - I wasn't a fan of the going back and forth between the 50s and 14/15. I would have preferred something told in a linear way.
3) Apex Origin - Why was that there?
4) Too Long - 10 episodes might have been a bit too long for this show. Maybe 6-8 is the better range.
5) No Shinomura - One more time....would have been nice.

For the record, I enjoyed all of the MV movies and most of this is just nitpicky.