Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah (2019)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah (2019)

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Personally I love this interpretation of King Ghidorah, in every fight he won against Godzilla except the underwater fight and actually shows him being a “KING” for once controlling the Titans around the world
What are your thoughts on this
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah (2019)

Post by godjacob »

The best King Ghidorah period. This is the King Ghiodorah I've WAITED for so long to appear, a true menace from the stars who isn't some tool or brainwashed pawn of someone else. A terrifying and powerful foe for Godzilla who radiates evil and brings hell on Earth.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

godjacob wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:03 pm The best King Ghidorah period. This is the King Ghiodorah I've WAITED for so long to appear, a true menace from the stars who isn't some tool or brainwashed pawn of someone else. A terrifying and powerful foe for Godzilla who radiates evil and brings hell on Earth.
Couldn't have said it better. Out of all Ghidorah incarnations this definitely felt the closest to an attempt at bringing Ghidorah back to his roots, and imo they succeeded amazingly. Definitely my favorite version of him both character and design wise (though manes could have been cool).
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Adored the hell out of his design, and his roars are amongst my favorite variations of Ghidorah's signature cackle.

Character-wise... ... ...this was unfortunately not my favorite Ghidorah.
Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

This Ghidorah is one of my absolute faves out of the films, along with Showa and Anime (yeah yeah, boo, hiss).

He’s just so menacing and villainous, and his powers are incredibly cool. A twist on the original incarnation that takes the best bits of each series’s Ghidorah and combines them into a package of golden terror.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

My favorite KG incarnation ever.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Not the biggest fan of his design but everything else about him is nothing short of perfection.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I didn't enjoy him as much as other King Ghidorahs, it is the film he was in that makes me not like him too much. Despite that on his own he gets the job done, but I would've preferred more gold and the manes. The ROM3 wing beams was a nice callback.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Not too much of a fan, in all honesty.
For Emperor and Empire!

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

This is the Ghidorah I’ve always envisioned as a kid. A sinister and destructive threat from the stars that has a personal rivalry with Godzilla proper. I love the serpent aesthetic and how the heads were given added personality beyond “flailing”.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Monsterverse King Ghidorah slowly becoming a top Ghidorah incarnation for me. As others have said, this Ghidorah is the closest to honoring its "King" title and a truly formidable opponent for Godzilla. I mentioned in the "Godzilla vs Ghidorah as a villain" topic in the General Forum, but I think that this Ghidorah was the one that really lives up to its Planet Destroyer title. The movie also gives Ghidorah quite a personality too.

Generally in favor of this design too with the exception of the short, bent legs and the unimpressive tail length

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

If he didn’t crawl on his wings and had manes, he’d be perfect. So close. Sooooooo close.

But, ultimately, Showa still reigns supreme.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:47 am If he didn’t crawl on his wings and had manes, he’d be perfect. So close. Sooooooo close.

But, ultimately, Showa still reigns supreme.
Add crescent horns to that list, and you’d have made the best opinion-piece regarding the MV Ghidorah.
For Emperor and Empire!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah, Showa King Ghidorah is still the Sigma Ghidorah I fear.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

A very solid take on the character.

- I enjoyed his serpentine mannerisms.

- The roars/calls he made were nice and they'd be eerie to hear during his storms.

- The middle head being the dominant one that bullied the left one was cool to see.

- The fact that he'd generate destructive storms wherever he went was a nice addition and made him have a bigger impact on an area besides spamming his gravity bolts. Plus, it's just like how many elder dragons in MH operate so he gets another plus for that.

- That he had an actual rivalry with Godzilla was nice and I enjoyed how back and forth their struggle was.

- Being able to create powerful large storms and the ability to order the other monsters to participate in his terraforming plan makes him a very effective planet destroyer imo.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

It was very much a 'safe' kind of design. Bat wings, discount Smaug heads. Not ugly, but not drawing interest either.

During pre-production, there were some ideas that would've been far cooler to see. For example, having the original Ghidorah-type wings being five-six thin finger-like limbs on each side supporting the wing membrane (something I ALWAYS wanted to see in a Ghidorah design). Here's one by Mauricio Ruiz:
Spoiler:

My main complaint is there was too little neck movement -- missed the "demented garden hose out of control" type motion the Showa/Heisei versions had.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

Omegamorph wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:37 am It was very much a 'safe' kind of design. Bat wings, discount Smaug heads. Not ugly, but not drawing interest either.

During pre-production, there were some ideas that would've been far cooler to see. For example, having the original Ghidorah-type wings being five-six thin finger-like limbs on each side supporting the wing membrane (something I ALWAYS wanted to see in a Ghidorah design). Here's one by Mauricio Ruiz:
Spoiler:

My main complaint is there was too little neck movement -- missed the "demented garden hose out of control" type motion the Showa/Heisei versions had.
Looks like a facehugger from Alien.

Yuck
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Great KG. Just needed some manes, a crescent on each head and the biddi biddi for a perfect update.

Personality wise, he’s great. Not much I can say there.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Not an original take at all, but this Ghidorah is everything I could have hoped it to be. I am honestly impressed how well he was done, considering how often adaptions and reboots can screw up characters. Even in past Toho films, Ghidorah's character has been degraded and cheapened a bit too much. Finally seeing Ghidorah return to being a super-ancient, apocalyptic, utterly sadistic behemoth was very satisfying, and was easily the best part of the KoTM film. For all its faults, it truly did nail what Ghidorah should be.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I loved this take on Ghidorah. He was the very anti-thesis of order and balance, which is what Godzilla represents.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.