Monster Discussion: Mothra (2019)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Monster Discussion: Mothra (2019)

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Basically what it says
What are your thoughts on the 2019 Mothra
Personally I think this is a great addition, she looks beautiful as she is dangerous
And I love that she’s the most unique looking redesign without screwing up what made Mothra “Mothra”
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion: Mothra (2019)

Post by Dv-218 »

A very elegant take on the character. She's definitely a bit more "out there" than the other MV redesigns but manages to keep Mothra's essence and majesty very well while adding new abilities.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thanks, I hate it.

You know, it's funny. In the years leading up to KotM's release, it was Rodan and Ghidorah's designs that I was worried about. I thought Mothra would be a very simple translation. She's a giant moth/butterfly. No hideous crawling around on her wings like a bat, no attempt at raptorization (the process of re-imagining kaiju as scaled up dinosaurs) for the sake of realism, just a good old fashioned insect. How could they mess that up?

Then it turns out Rodan and Ghidorah mostly have very faithfully translated designs, whereas Mothra is the one that came out looking awful. My concerns were misplaced.

Anyway, MV Mothra annoys me. Looks too much like a Muto; waaaaaaaay too small; has legs on its fucking abdomen and a "womanly" figure. If you told me pre-2018 that MV Mothra would have a "womanly" figure I wouldn't have believed you, but here we are.

They couldn't even get the wings right...
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spuro wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:51 pm They couldn't even get the wings right...
Honestly, I think the wings and face are the things they got right about Mothra's design. I do agree with you on the unnecessary anthro body shape, though. They even kinda gave her pseudo-boobs.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Ugly as sin. The only MV design I don't like.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:27 am Ugly as sin. The only MV design I don't like.
THIS.

The wings are the best part of the design, but by making Mothra into a melee kaiju design wise like she was here, you kinda discard what makes her so great. She's supposed to be an equal to Godzilla despite looking so soft and fluffy. Making her more like a wasp ruins that.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Fiender
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fiender »

Ugly, tiny, and I hate that she's treated as a support character for Godzilla instead of being a heavy hitter in her own right. I guess there wasn't any room for that in the nonsense "ALPHA" plot of that movie.
I was that kid who made bad Godzilla games in RPG Maker and complained when no one paid attention to them :D

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I dig the design. It’s taken me a while to get there and the predator styled mouth can still rub me the wrong way from time to time.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I like her. This is the first time Mothra's design has been significantly changed, and for that alone I respect it. She isn't just a giant moth either: they could've done that, but they decided to make her this weird mish-mash of insects. Literally a strange beast. So I think they did great. They could've leaned more into her cuddliness, but I think her healing/sacrificing herself for Godzilla did a good job at making her true to her character
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Design is a toss up. I personally dig it, and I enjoy her dynamic with Godzilla. I like their teamwork for what we got, and hopefully this won’t be the last time we see that explored. Though I do hope we see more of Mothra being her own sort of powerhouse too when we can.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I like the take on the design. Its appendages give it an added dimension for physical combat and I like the incorporation of a stinger sort of making her this mix of various bugs into one for a varied move pool. The fact she keeps the dangerous silk as an adult is probably its best weapon, and I liked the connection it had with Godzilla and those scenes with the God Rays are just beautiful.