The MonsterVerse is continuing according to Max Borenstein

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: The MonsterVerse is continuing according to Max Borenstein

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:45 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:32 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:28 pm
1. Disagree. A good deal would've allowed them to still make their own movies when they want, there's no way around that.

2. They made the deal after having not done a Godzilla film for a decade. I can believe the executives at that time were foolish enough to not see the value in the ip and not thinking of when they might want to make Goji movies again. I can totally see them being unable to make a movie when they want because of Legendary's plans, anniversaries be damned.
They made Shin when they wanted and considering they talked about a friendly rivalry I doubt Legendary blocked them out. At worst I could see it being let us make a Gojira movie and we'll let you use Gigan, Angurius or Destroyah for a MV film.

I doubt Toho is completely out the love action game kf they wanted.

This franchise needs more entires lime Shin Godzilla as we do the kotm and GvsK.
Except that they didn't - they made Shin because there was a 5 year window between 2014 and KotM where Legendary wasn't working on it so Toho had an opportunity. Basically to get another Toho live action Godzilla film we'd need another such long lull period from Legendary. And I honestly don't see that happening,
Shing started being worked on in 2013 when Godzilla 2 was supposed to be released in 2017.

Added in 2 minutes 58 seconds:
Well we can all end this debate once and for all.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... la-754751/

Toho chose themselves not to make Godzilla before 2020 becasue they allowed Legendary to put out those two movies(free money for them). They can enter the ring anytime they won't so it is in the best interest of Toho that the Monsterverse continue and they still have an option to do their own movies.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:57 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:32 pm

They made Shin when they wanted and considering they talked about a friendly rivalry I doubt Legendary blocked them out. At worst I could see it being let us make a Gojira movie and we'll let you use Gigan, Angurius or Destroyah for a MV film.

I doubt Toho is completely out the love action game kf they wanted.

This franchise needs more entires lime Shin Godzilla as we do the kotm and GvsK.
Except that they didn't - they made Shin because there was a 5 year window between 2014 and KotM where Legendary wasn't working on it so Toho had an opportunity. Basically to get another Toho live action Godzilla film we'd need another such long lull period from Legendary. And I honestly don't see that happening,
Shing started being worked on in 2013 when Godzilla 2 was supposed to be released in 2017.

Toho chose themselves not to make Godzilla before 2020 becasue they allowed Legendary to put out those two movies(free money for them). They can enter the ring anytime they won't so it is in the best interest of Toho that the Monsterverse continue and they still have an option to do their own movies.
You do realize movies take literal years to make? They probably knew how long it would be between Godzilla and King of the Monsters.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
(I'm kind of so-so on most articles regarding Toho these days - I've discovered that the translations English journalists rely on are...unreliable)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:06 pm

You do realize movies take literal years to make? They probably knew how long it would be between Godzilla and King of the Monsters.

(I'm kind of so-so on most articles regarding Toho these days - I've discovered that the translations English journalists rely on are...unreliable)
They knew Godzilla 2 was going to release in 2019 back in 2013? Also read the article I posted.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:07 pm

They knew Godzilla 2 was going to release in 2019 back in 2013? Also read the article I posted.
Probably - again, the planning for Hollywood movies takes years. Also you seem to not realize that it doesn't matter when the started work on Shin - the initial work is literally just deciding you're going to make a movie "sometime" and hiring a director to make the script. Knowing that Godzilla was going to have a Hollywood movie the next year, and possibly not knowing when or if a sequel would happen, it's not unreasonable for them to get a script and plans started and then sit on it for such a time when they could make it. And I skimmed over the article, but here's the thing - you pulled out an old article stating this view that Toho can make live action films whenever, yet somehow miraculously in all the talk about this topic leading up to, during, and after Shin when the general consensus had always been they needed a window/couldn't just make a movie whenever, no one else ever stumbled on this? This article hadn't been pulled out in the what feels like a hundred times this topic came up in this forum? That's suspect, that's just dumbfoundingly sus to me. Plus after the whole World of Godzilla "it's totally a cinematic universe guys!" misinformation/translation from journalists not so long ago, and the hilarious "There's going to be a Godzilla vs Pac Rim movie guys!" because a journalist didn't know the difference between that franchise's Jaegers and Jet Jaguar, I do not trust English articles on Japanese/Toho statements any more. Why would I? They've proven to be unreliable in that department. You'd need to give me a reason to believe why this article isn't an embarrassing mistake like those other articles were.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:20 pm

Probably - again, the planning for Hollywood movies takes years. Also you seem to not realize that it doesn't matter when the started work on Shin - the initial work is literally just deciding you're going to make a movie "sometime" and hiring a director to make the script. Knowing that Godzilla was going to have a Hollywood movie the next year, and possibly not knowing when or if a sequel would happen, it's not unreasonable for them to get a script and plans started and then sit on it for such a time when they could make it. And I skimmed over the article, but here's the thing - you pulled out an old article stating this view that Toho can make live action films whenever, yet somehow miraculously in all the talk about this topic leading up to, during, and after Shin when the general consensus had always been they needed a window/couldn't just make a movie whenever, no one else ever stumbled on this? This article hadn't been pulled out in the what feels like a hundred times this topic came up in this forum? That's suspect, that's just dumbfoundingly sus to me. Plus after the whole World of Godzilla "it's totally a cinematic universe guys!" misinformation/translation from journalists not so long ago, and the hilarious "There's going to be a Godzilla vs Pac Rim movie guys!" because a journalist didn't know the difference between that franchise's Jaegers and Jet Jaguar, I do not trust English articles on Japanese/Toho statements any more. Why would I? They've proven to be unreliable in that department. You'd need to give me a reason to believe why this article isn't an embarrassing mistake like those other articles were.
Belive what you want. That article states Toho can make a movie if they want. Higuchi said a movie wouldn't come before 2020.

That tells me Toho choose not to make a movie because they knew about Kotm and Godzilla vs Kong, not that they couldn't because of Legendary but that they saw no need.

Shin was released in 2016 because Toho wanted to release the film then not because Legendary wouldn't allow them.

Toho is still the ultimate authority when it comes to Godzilla.

Also many people brought up articles similar to this, people took what Higuchi an ran with it is all.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:17 am

Belive what you want. That article states Toho can make a movie if they want. Higuchi said a movie wouldn't come before 2020.

That tells me Toho choose not to make a movie because they knew about Kotm and Godzilla vs Kong, not that they couldn't because of Legendary but that they saw no need.

Shin was released in 2016 because Toho wanted to release the film then not because Legendary wouldn't allow them.

Also many people brought up articles similar to this, people took what Higuchi an ran with it is all.
Perhaps - first it's come to my attention. But if true, then does it matter? Clearly if you're right, then Toho's already made the decision to never ever make a Godzilla movie when Legendary is doing it, so the end result is the same.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:23 am

Perhaps - first it's come to my attention. But if true, then does it matter? Clearly if you're right, then Toho's already made the decision to never ever make a Godzilla movie when Legendary is doing it, so the end result is the same.
Legendary has pretty much said Kong is their next movie and Toho can do a Godzilla movie in a year if need me. I'm just saying we're likely not getting a one or the other scenario.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:51 am
Vakanai wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:23 am

Legendary has pretty much said Kong is their next movie and Toho can do a Godzilla movie in a year if need me. I'm just saying we're likely not getting a one or the other scenario.
I'll believe it when I see it. And again, if it does happen like you said? It's still Toho finding a window in deference to when Legendary's schedules their Godzilla films. The more Legendary films on the horizon, the fewer and fewer Toho's.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

There's a video out in the wild that claims the follow up will be titled Godzilla Vs Kong 2 and that the enemy will be Spacegodzilla.

Spacegodzilla will have different origins of being an older member of Godzilla's species that mutated from absorbing too much Hollow Earth energy and became an enemy of both species of Godzilla and Kong.

Don't really see how such a creature would really be considered a SPACE Godzilla then if the origin starts in Hollow Earth.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:13 am There's a video out in the wild that claims the follow up will be titled Godzilla Vs Kong 2 and that the enemy will be Spacegodzilla.

Spacegodzilla will have different origins of being an older member of Godzilla's species that mutated from absorbing too much Hollow Earth energy and became an enemy of both species of Godzilla and Kong.

Don't really see how such a creature would really be considered a SPACE Godzilla then if the origin starts in Hollow Earth.
I’ve heard dumb but that’s dumb.
For Emperor and Empire!

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:13 am There's a video out in the wild that claims the follow up will be titled Godzilla Vs Kong 2 and that the enemy will be Spacegodzilla.

Yeah that Dangerville YouTube channel is not a reliable source of info.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dangerville was speculating that was a potential plot that could happen.

Abd it's SpaceGodzilla simply because it left Earth to travel Space. SpaceGodzilla always starts his orgin on Earth.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Image didnt work
Last edited by TheRealSpinoRex on Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I saw in the Wikipedia article on The War of the Gargantuas that Michael Dougherty wanted to bring Sanda and Gaira to the Monsterverse in modern versions.

I think that'd be good as long as they could incorporate Frankenstein (the Toho version) in there as their genetic ancestor. Also, confirm the connection between the three instead of diluting it; i.e., have Sanda be Frankenstein mutated further and Gaira spawned from a body part of Frankenstein (e.g., a severed hand). Keep Baragon and the Oodako in the story as well.

In other words, re-do both Frankenstein vs. Baragon and The War of the Gargantuas for the 21st century and make them Monsterverse stories. After all, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:00 pm I saw in the Wikipedia article on The War of the Gargantuas that Michael Dougherty wanted to bring Sanda and Gaira to the Monsterverse in modern versions.

I think that'd be good as long as they could incorporate Frankenstein (the Toho version) in there as their genetic ancestor. Also, confirm the connection between the three instead of diluting it; i.e., have Sanda be Frankenstein mutated further and Gaira spawned from a body part of Frankenstein (e.g., a severed hand). Keep Baragon and the Oodako in the story as well.

In other words, re-do both Frankenstein vs. Baragon and The War of the Gargantuas for the 21st century and make them Monsterverse stories. After all, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
You're better off with Wikizilla than whatever Wikipedia has.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:37 am
mikelcho wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:00 pm I saw in the Wikipedia article on The War of the Gargantuas that Michael Dougherty wanted to bring Sanda and Gaira to the Monsterverse in modern versions.

Thanks, I'll remember that. But the Wikipedia article did have an interview with Dougherty mentioning it. I wonder why Wikizilla never saw that article. Should I let them know about it and transfer it over?
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Man I hope they keep Godzilla in the MV. Shin and SP were abysmal borefests, G14 was great, KOTM was a huge letdown but GVK was damn fun and a great vs movie. A more Godzilla focused film in the MV would be great to flesh him out even more while keeping him the stoic Alpha. Here’s hoping.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:28 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:37 am

I think that'd be good as long as they could incorporate Frankenstein (the Toho version) in there as their genetic ancestor. Also, confirm the connection between the three instead of diminishing it; i.e., have Sanda be Frankenstein mutated further and Gaira spawned from a body part of Frankenstein (e.g., a severed hand). Keep Baragon and the Oodako in the story as well.

Thanks, I'll remember that. But the Wikipedia article did have an interview with Dougherty mentioning it. I wonder why Wikizilla never saw that article. Should I let them know about it and transfer it over?
I did it, but then someone on Wikizilla did one better and put in the original article that the Wikipedia article was taken from! Who knew?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 am Man I hope they keep Godzilla in the MV. Shin and SP were abysmal borefests, G14 was great, KOTM was a huge letdown but GVK was damn fun and a great vs movie. A more Godzilla focused film in the MV would be great to flesh him out even more while keeping him the stoic Alpha. Here’s hoping.
You do realize this whole thread is about the fact the MV is continuing, so hoping is kind of pointless. I mean, I could hope the sky is blue and water remains wet, but considering they are and always will be (cloud cover and night not withstanding on the sky) there's no reason for me to hope on these things, they're fact. The MV is continuing, and that automatically means there'll be Godzilla movies in the MV because outside of the occasional Kong movie Godzilla is the MV.

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 am
KaijuKingGojira wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 am Man I hope they keep Godzilla in the MV. Shin and SP were abysmal borefests, G14 was great, KOTM was a huge letdown but GVK was damn fun and a great vs movie. A more Godzilla focused film in the MV would be great to flesh him out even more while keeping him the stoic Alpha. Here’s hoping.
You do realize this whole thread is about the fact the MV is continuing, so hoping is kind of pointless. I mean, I could hope the sky is blue and water remains wet, but considering they are and always will be (cloud cover and night not withstanding on the sky) there's no reason for me to hope on these things, they're fact. The MV is continuing, and that automatically means there'll be Godzilla movies in the MV because outside of the occasional Kong movie Godzilla is the MV.
Since there’s still no official word that Godzilla will remain, it is not a foregone conclusion so I can hope but thanks anyway.