Who Was Godzilla's Toughest Opponent in the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Choose 2

Shinomura
1%
The MUTOs
4%
MUTO Prime
3%
King Ghidorah
41%
Scylla
1%
Genitor & Swarm
No votes
Tiamat
No votes
Kong
5%
Mechagodzilla
45%

Total votes: 98

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Who Was Godzilla's Toughest Opponent in the Monsterverse?

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Lmao who voted kong
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:26 am Lmao who voted kong
:lol: :lol:

Whoever it was, thank him for the laugh.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

To his credit he did manage to wrestle Godzilla while on his back without getting his ass aggressively acupunctured by dorsal plates, so what he lacks in brawn he makes up for with some superb rodeo skills I guess :lol:

Too bad Godzilla's judo skills were superb-er lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Dv-218 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 am To his credit he did manage to wrestle Godzilla while on his back without getting his ass aggressively acupunctured by dorsal plates, so what he lacks in brawn he makes up for with some superb rodeo skills I guess :lol:

Too bad Godzilla's judo skills were superb-er lol.
Yeah, he got killed within a minute of Godzilla getting serious. Which is pretty pathetic
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

You all know Behemoth would own if they had a fight.

Mechagodzilla got killed by Kong, but I doubt King Ghidorah would have. Plus regeneration which only Burning Godzilla could neutralize.

It's clearly King Ghidorah.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Mechagodzilla kicked Godzilla’s ass like a professional boxer going against an out-of-shape drunkard, and given the sheer ferocity with which Godzilla went at Kong with at the end of their fight, I don’t think Godzilla was that exhausted to where a fight with him at full vs MechaG would have gone that much better.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

At least against Ghidorah, Godzilla was able to get some hits in. MechaGodzilla didn't even give Godzilla a chance to fight back. Godzilla got absolutely humbled.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

You guys do know that MG fought a fatigued Godzilla? Also, Adam Wingard stated that had Godzilla fought MG fresh, Godzilla would have won and even win the beam lock.

Ghidorah was winning in Antarctic and flew away only because he was too cautious with Godzilla receiving help. He thought the Argo was a potential big threat that could tip the scale in favor of Godzilla. And when he got a power up as well, he dominated a nuke charged Godzilla.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Mechagodzilla, no competition.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:45 pm You guys do know that MG fought a fatigued Godzilla? Also, Adam Wingard stated that had Godzilla fought MG fresh, Godzilla would have won and even win the beam lock.
Where did he state that Godzilla would have won? All I recall is that he believes he would win the beam lock moment had he come in fresh:

"He’s gone nonstop and there’s one shot where Godzilla and Mechagodzilla fire their beams at each other at the same time right and Mechagodzilla’s actually overpowers Godzilla and I don’t think that that would have been the case if Godzilla’s coming in fresh but I think that he was weakened a bit."
https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/interv ... gard-2021/
If it bites... don't mess with it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's MG, but I see the argument being made for King Ghidorah as well. One thing I wonder though is King Ghidorah's regeneration. While newer sources/trivia say it's from the energy from the volcano, it makes me think that if you don't kill Ghidorah fully, you're fucked. MechaGodzilla on the other hand is a robot, and while it's a strange cyborg with KG's head and possible sentience, I don't think it would have the capabilities to repair itself should it inevitably be damaged.

While I'm not really going to question the logic, I do have to wonder what MG would do after killing Godzilla and Kong if it succeeded. Ghidorah's goals were simple, self-preservation and absorbing energy/the world. What would happen after that?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:50 am It's MG, but I see the argument being made for King Ghidorah as well. One thing I wonder though is King Ghidorah's regeneration. While newer sources/trivia say it's from the energy from the volcano, it makes me think that if you don't kill Ghidorah fully, you're skreeonked. MechaGodzilla on the other hand is a robot, and while it's a strange cyborg with KG's head and possible sentience, I don't think it would have the capabilities to repair itself should it inevitably be damaged.

While I'm not really going to question the logic, I do have to wonder what MG would do after killing Godzilla and Kong if it succeeded. Ghidorah's goals were simple, self-preservation and absorbing energy/the world. What would happen after that?
That's an interesting question actually. I wonder if Ghidorah's "consciousness" had awareness of Mechagodzilla's body limitations as a machine, since it did seem to operate and get around it quite smoothly. If so, then I guess it might have tried to find a way around it and execute some of it's plans in a different manner? Neat idea for a "what if".

And yeah, from what both KOTM and GvK showed it seems that the only way to assure Ghidorah's ultimate defeat is making certain that absolutely no piece of his tissue and other parts remain. Truly a monster on his own right.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ghidorah when Supercharged did more to Supercharged Godzilla then Mechagodzilla did.

Remember Mechagodzilla is coming in after Godzilla blasts into the Hollow Earth and fights Kong.

That being said this is Godzilla's toughest fight not his strongest foe.

My Gut goes with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla but there is also a case for Prime over Mechagodzilla I feel. For example you could bring up Godzilla being fatigued with Mechagodzilla but you can also bring up that 2014 Godzilla is light years behind the 2021 Godzilla.

Then I also think if Mothra doesn't fuse with Godzilla and instead Kong shows up with the axe do they win easier.

Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla both have legitimate arguments for 1 and 2, Prime has a case for 2 and 3.

Final answer Ghidorah, MechaG, Prime.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

A good script?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:50 amWhile I'm not really going to question the logic, I do have to wonder what MG would do after killing Godzilla and Kong if it succeeded. Ghidorah's goals were simple, self-preservation and absorbing energy/the world. What would happen after that?
The novelization implies he may try to re-awaken the Titans and finish what he started.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

MechaGodzilla.
King Ghidorah lost all three fights he had with Godzilla in King of The Monsters. Godzilla couldn't even win one against MechaGodzilla.

This is why I consider MechaGodzilla to be Godzilla true arch-nemesis, by the way.
Ghidorah has never won against Godzilla, while MechaGodzilla has 5 times. No contest.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:57 pm MechaGodzilla.
King Ghidorah lost all three fights he had with Godzilla in King of The Monsters. Godzilla couldn't even win one against MechaGodzilla.

This is why I consider MechaGodzilla to be Godzilla true arch-nemesis, by the way.
Ghidorah has never won against Godzilla, while MechaGodzilla has 5 times. No contest.
Ghidorah won in Antarctica and Godzilla was tired against Mechagodzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Ghidorah flew away lmao
He lost
He retreated

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:35 pm

Ghidorah flew away lmao
He lost
He retreated
He left after he beat Godzilla. Leaving a fight doesn't mean you lost.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

He also won in Boston until the Orca took his attention off the defeated Godzilla and allowed him to go into burning mode.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.