Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by Follinollante »

The matte shots are a definite improvement, but overall, I think the CGI/effects took a big hit in this one.

As for the film itself, I just feel like it's really dumb, and not in a good way. I just watched GvKG, and that was dumb fun, but I thought that this one was just plain stupid.
Disclaimer, though: I've only watched the dub; maybe I'll like the JP version more? It happened with Gigan, so here's hoping.
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.
Let's go back to just watching and enjoying monster movies.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

^Japanese language is how I watch practically every Toho Godzilla movie. I think that should be your default. Otherwise, any sense of gravitas is usually lost.

As for the CGI, I really thought it looked better than what Godzilla 2000 offered. During the scene of the Meganulon shedding its skin to become a Meganula I was surprised at how good it looked given the age of the movie and how bad the CGI was in the previous film.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Gojira-Fan wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:59 am ^Japanese language is how I watch practically every Toho Godzilla movie. I think that should be your default. Otherwise, any sense of gravitas is usually lost.
Exactly. Exactly. It bugs me so much when people prefer/recommend the dubs because "haha funny bad english." Like, maybe I would like to take a movie seriously?
(We watched the dub by accident. Not the first time, either. :facepalm:)
As for the CGI, I really thought it looked better than what Godzilla 2000 offered. During the scene of the Meganulon shedding its skin to become a Meganula I was surprised at how good it looked given the age of the movie and how bad the CGI was in the previous film.
My bad. Raw CGI, yes, this film likely wins there. In terms of other visual effects, I still think it's something of a toss-up between the two, though leaning slightly in 2000's favor, at least from what I remember. Overall, GxM has better matte shots and straight CGI (that is, 3D models and stuff, not digital effects applied in post), but I think 2000 has better practical and optical effects.
I wouldn't call my take hard and fast, though, as I remember plenty of scenes from both that either pleasantly surprised or severely underdelivered in the effects department.
GxM did commit a lot of sins with Megaguirus herself, though. She is, quite possibly, the worst practical realization of a flying kaiju in any Godzilla film. Either they use digital effects for that horrendously cheap-looking hovering, or else she floats around statically, barely moving her wings at all.
When 2000 looks bad, it's because it uses CGI in place of practical effects. When GxM looks bad, it's because it uses practical effects halfheartedly and attempts to finish the job on a computer.
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

^There are rare times where dubs aren't bad like the one for Mothra vs. Godzilla commissioned by AIP, but basically all of the dubs Toho commissions themselves are bad.

You are right about Megaguirus having poor wire work and sort of just "floating" (although it really didn't both me that bad with this viewing). I think once she does the rapid wing movement that causes sonic waves she looks more convincing.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Really? I think it just looks plain stupid.
Yeah, it's a kaiju film. Even with other films, I'm not going to overthink the science behind the fiction.
But a bug that size does not buzz around like that; inertia is a much bigger problem for flying creatures.
What irks me is the way they just kind of drag the CG-animated Megaguirus around the screen. Had it just been a 3D model with actual perspective, it might have looked better.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

This is the first Godzilla movie with x in the title.

Anyone know why this started to be a trend? In the films Tezuka directed specifically seems to be the only instance...well that was the case.

Now they are doing it in a Monsterverse film which I feel like is going to confuse casual viewers.
Last edited by Gojira-Fan on Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Decided to pick a random movie to rewatch before I go see Minus One and lucky enough it was this one.

I forgot how noticeable the wires were on the puppet Megaguirus in a few of the nighttime scenes. And as stated above many times, the CGI does not really hold up well. But then I tell myself its a 20+ year old movie and I pretty much forgive it. Overall, I don't hate the movie, its just a mediocre entry into the series for me. I do like the Megaguirus design and the general call back to Meganulon from Rodan. And can't talk about this film without mentioning the Godzilla body-slam! Nice homage to the Showa style fighting, even if its didn't really fit with the tone of the movie.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)