Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GMK honestly has the most convincing Godzilla suit ever made. If they return to using suits for the Reiwa era (which I doubt they will), I hope they put as much (maybe even more) effort as they did here.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:GMK honestly has the most convincing Godzilla suit ever made. If they return to using suits for the Reiwa era (which I doubt they will), I hope they put as much (maybe even more) effort as they did here.
This statement reminds me of that head shot where Godzilla roars at the powered-up Ghidorah. Still holds up to this day.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The head shots of the GMK suit are spectacular. The shape and white eyes really work. The suit is also good, but the head is the crowning feature of the suit.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

I am planning to do a research book on GMK. I have three questions I wish to have detiled answers about tor it.
1. Does anybody know any changes to meaning of the lines in the english other than the scene where missles hit ghidorah.
2. Did anybody see the movie for its first release in japan in 2001
If so do you remeber the name of the theatre.
3. When Yuri is in the water floating unconcious, was it really actress chiharu niiyama in the water or was it a stunt double or a special effect? if so does she have any behind the scenes stories about it? Or are there any pictures of it?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gfan84 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:55 pm 1. Does anybody know any changes to meaning of the lines in the english other than the scene where missles hit ghidorah.
The evacuation scene where the Chinese tourist wishes everyone good luck was changed from a heartfelt, unsubbed/dubbed message in the Japanese version (to which his compatriot translates to the crowd) to what amounts to a dark joke in the dub, where both lines are dubbed in English and slightly changed ("He wishes everyone good luck!" to "Good luck everyone! You're all going to die!").
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

Thank you for your reply. Do you know any answers to the other two questions? Enjoy the future.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

gfan84 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:20 pm Thank you for your reply. Do you know any answers to the other two questions? Enjoy the future.
The only one I have any other relevant info on is the second one. The GMK premiere was held at the 2001 Tokyo International Film Festival in Shibuya, Japan. The theater was the Orchard Hall in the Bunkamura shopping center. For a source, G-FAN Issue 54 has an article about the premiere.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

gfan84 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:20 pm Thank you for your reply. Do you know any answers to the other two questions? Enjoy the future.
May want to ask Sean Lickenback or someone like that on FB. I'm sure if he doesn't know the answer, he may be able to point you in the right direction.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

Does anybody know something about the chiharu niiyama question i posted because i always wondered about it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gfan84 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:07 pm Does anybody know something about the chiharu niiyama question i posted because i always wondered about it.
Last time I checked she was in Ultraman z.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

Well thank you but what I mean was she really in the water after her character falls from the bridge?

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Recently I found out some information that surprised the heck outta me:

The Godzilla in GMK is not the same Godzilla from the 1954 film. He’s actually a second Godzilla who just got unlucky enough to be possessed by the souls of WWII.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Most of you people around here are openly critical of the Heisei films, so why can't I do the same for this movie, or Shin?

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:33 pm Recently I found out some information that surprised the heck outta me:

The Godzilla in GMK is not the same Godzilla from the 1954 film. He’s actually a second Godzilla who just got unlucky enough to be possessed by the souls of WWII.
Where and how did you find out that?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:33 pm Recently I found out some information that surprised the heck outta me:

Wait, I always thought GMK Godzilla was the angry souls of the dead taking the form of Godzilla :lol: I really need to rewatch that movie.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:05 pm Most of you people around here are openly critical of the Heisei films, so why can't I do the same for this movie, or Shin?
You... can... ?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:05 pm Most of you people around here are openly critical of the Heisei films, so why can't I do the same for this movie, or Shin?
By all means, criticize away. We're a fandom, that's what we're here for.

And in any case, people have been criticizing GMK and Shin all along. For example, it seems to be an almost universal opinion that Ghidorah was out of place in his GMK role.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Yeah I don't see anyone saying you can't post any critical opinions, so, not sure what's up with the random post.

Also, as an aside, GMK Ghidorah is my favorite Ghidorah.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maritonic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:56 pm Yeah I don't see anyone saying you can't post any critical opinions, so, not sure what's up with the random post.

Also, as an aside, GMK Ghidorah is my favorite Ghidorah.
Care to explain why you feel that way? Are you one of those people who equates different with good?
Last edited by Maritonic on Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

You really gotta figure out how to ask questions without coming across as a dick.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.