Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Talkback: GMK - Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah (2001)

Post by g2kmaster »

Use this topic to discuss Shusuke Kaneko's GMK.

This is a global topic for everything related to the film.

While I enjoy it, I want to start of slightly negative myself:

Watching GMK, I decided to actualy pay attention to any negatives the film may have. With me, the only thing which bugs me is:

1. the zipper crease by the fins being obvious
2. Thigh-level shot of Godzilla running which looks pretty bad
3. Shot of Godzilla whipping Baragon with his tail with an obvious model helicopter flying by.

Other then that, I think that those are the only complaints I have about GMK. So, what negatives can you think about GMK?

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Re: GMK - The Negatives

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

1. Godzilla does have a potbelly. It DOES exist. I don't care what anybody says, its distracting and its annoying.

2. That scene when Yuri falls out of the bridge is poorly done.

3. The King Ghidorah underwater fight with Godzilla was subpar.

4. While its goofy, I dislike the sprung a leak scene. Its a rather bizarre climax.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The English dub destroys the meaning of the storyline, and makes Godzilla seem freakin' stupid.

Godzilla's beer belly - it's not even that bad in general, but a lot of shots of it in the movie make him look so fat it isn't funny.

King Ghidorah as a good guy - I know it's something different but I just cannot stand it.

I've eased up on GMK a lot as I've rewatched it, but I will say the title of "Best Godzilla film since the original" is still undeserved.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

JVM wrote:The English dub destroys the meaning of the storyline, and makes Godzilla seem freakin' stupid.
If we are including the English dub, then easily the biggest negative of GMK is the "got him" line when they accidentally hit King Ghidorah in the neck with the missile.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

The dumbass bitch of a main character. She's freaking annoying. On par with Miki, so thank Jeebus she only was in one movie.
bleep bloop

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Yeah, any problems that I may have with GMK are really just nit-picks. Like Godzilla having a beer belly and the main character being annoying at times. Overall though, they don't detract from the film. I still see GMK as the best film of the Millennium series.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

GMK is one of the better Millennium films even I'll admit, although I prefer G2K.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

1. Godzilla being interpreted as the vengeful spirits of forgotten war-dead doesn't bother me. Godzilla being powered by ghosts does.

2. On paper the monster designs are okay, but the suits are poorly executed. Sure, the monsters are highly detailed, but they're also excessively rubbery.

3. Most composite shots and CGI, while serviceable, are weak thanks to the film's rushed schedule.

4. Yuri and Taizo are decent characters, but their daughter/father relationship isn't adequately explored for my taste, resulting in his near-death not packing any dramatic punch. The Scooby Gang that makes up BS Digital Q, on the other hand, just ruins the films credibility.

5. Koh Otani's score is disappointing at best, monotonous at worst.
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:^I feel like I've seen this before...
I get the same feeling. I believe I heard it from Greenmachine.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

^ and Fight My Own Battles, and Benzilla. Regardless, these are my feelings on this film.
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Ghidorah and Mothra being given roles that are out of character. However, this is not so much a flaw as it is something that was already decided before the film entered production, critizing it is pointless. Something nobody has mentioned (in any review either) is how out of place Ifukube's music is (again, a fault from the producers). A medley of Otani's score would have sufficed.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:I also really think the film missed its point. I don't know why...but I can't feel the film. It feels like a movie that was trying to have a message but missed.
I wonder if it's because the film really isn't meant for any of us, therefore we won't "get" all of it unless it's explained (i.e. kpa's post in "What's So Great About GMK" - someone should save that here, because the point of this movie is missed all the time). I didn't know what GMK was trying to say until I read that. I also didn't get the complete message of the original until fairly recently.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

It's not like having a "message" is that amazing anyway. Hell, it's a pretty obvious message that the movie kind of shoves in your face. That's pretty cliche. It's also a cliched message. Movies that complicate messages rather than blatantly giving them are much better.
bleep bloop

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:Listen, it's a generally okay monster movie. But when it has a message and symbols and all that, people have a shit hemmorhage.

I actually can't like the film all that well because so many fans are just IT HAZ A MESSAGE, LULZ!!! And that's very annoying.
I can only speak for myself on this one. I liked the movie from when I first saw it and always thought it was one of the better Godzilla films before the end of last year - when I learned more about it.
No, literally. You don't. You can know everything about Article 9 and the suppression of JApan's actions during the Second World War...but you aren't Japanese. You'll never fully understand it.
Agreed. I like to know what it's about, but the message doesn't resonate with me. It never will because it isn't supposed to. But I wouldn't say that the movie "missed its point" because of that. I would like to know how the Japanese responded to it.

IMO, GMK is still a good movie - message or not - but it's also fun because of that message. I like looking for all the callbacks to the original movie and seeing how that further's the theme of the movie.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Pot-Belly-Zilla! Thinner gut would've been a lot better...
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

baragon123
Samurai

Post by baragon123 »

For some reason Ghidorah being a good guy never bothered me.
Out of the grave, Death is stalking you, You can't escape, YOU'RE EATEN ALIVE!-Eaten Alive by Repulsion

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

baragon123 wrote:For some reason Ghidorah being a good guy never bothered me.
Me either. He's still going against Godzilla, which is what counts.
bleep bloop

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Only that Ghidorah and Mothra took Anguirus and Varan's roles. Even with the mismatched monsters, it's still agreat film.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
I don't care if I get the message or not...but non-Japanese shouldn't flaunt it because they don't understand it.

No, literally. You don't. You can know everything about Article 9 and the suppression of JApan's actions during the Second World War...but you aren't Japanese. You'll never fully understand it.
No, but we can try. This helps:

http://kamome.lib.ynu.ac.jp/dspace/bits ... Nakano.pdf

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

g2kmaster wrote:
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
I don't care if I get the message or not...but non-Japanese shouldn't flaunt it because they don't understand it.

No, but we can try. This helps:

http://kamome.lib.ynu.ac.jp/dspace/bits ... Nakano.pdf
There's a difference between analytical understanding and phenomenological understanding.
bleep bloop