Godzilla 2000 as a sequel to Godzilla 98?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Godzilla 2000 as a sequel to Godzilla 98?

Post by Chrispy_G »

It isn't, obviously.

But I have come across a story or 2 of people who sort of assumed when Godzilla 2000 came out that it was basically just a Japanese-style sequel to the 98 movie. That the hatchling from the 98 film just grew up and mutated into a more traditional Godzilla.

The fact that some of the G98 roars were used in the US version of G2K probably didn't help stifle confusion.

To be frank, the movie is one "opening talking head/newsreel clip/montage" away from making a would-be implied connection explicit. Images of the events of the 98 film, talking heads speaking of the surviving hatchling, it being exposed to further radiation, and images confirming the "new look"

It's an interesting concept. Once Sony was let down by 98, it might have been an interesting concept to pursue...to make a sequel that built off the first but pushed the design and style much more towards a traditional version of the character.

It could have been a "Wrath of Khan" type of sequel with a much lower budget but being much more true to the classic spirit of the franchise.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Ryu
Samurai

Re: Godzilla 2000 as a sequel to Godzilla 98?

Post by Ryu »

First of all, non-godzilla fans and the general public hate these movies. It doesn't matter if it's the 1954, showa era, vs Era, Millennium era, 98 film, Legendary, anime or Shin. They don't know, they don't want to know and they're angry with those who know. They don't respect this franchise and hate, no, contempt.
When the g-98 movie came out, it was just an excuse for them to throw the movie under a bus. And remember, I'm not talking about movie critics, but the general public.
Here in Portugal, in the year 2000, I remember when I showed the trailer of Godzilla 2000, to schoolmates, I was in the 7th grade, everyone thought it was a sequel to the G-98. And yes, this movie like the rest of the sequels and shin-gojira, never premiered in cinema and neither DVDs or TV.
Here in Portugal there is no demand for Japanese movies and anime, or distributors never release them. Don't ask me.
I know when I saw Legendary's Godzilla 2, it reminded a lot of people confused, because they thought this was a sequel to G-98. They didn't know about G-2014, Mutos, Kong skul Island (which everyone here hates because it's not a sequel to 2005 king kong or was part of the same universe as the lengendary), Rodan, mothra, Ghidorah or Atomic Breath and G-being unstoppable.
And corious here in Portugal I find they don't know anything about Japanese films. Here their hate is because movie is stupid and another is just a movie. Publico wanted a movie like James Cameron Titanic, or more than a movie. Like let's find Jesus.
But there had been disappointment. And it has nothing to do with the fact that G-98 is a bad representation of the Japanese character. And coriso I'm a fan of G-98, the series and Zilla. But when I have to tell the truth, I have to.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I wouldn't say general audiences hate these films, but they see them as lesser quality.

On topic, all sorts of stories have been brought up about the films. It doesn't surprise me that people not acquainted with the series would believe that.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:33 pm On topic, all sorts of stories have been brought up about the films. It doesn't surprise me that people not acquainted with the series would believe that.
The weird "opening" for this line of thinking is how incredibly vague the backstory and lore of Godzilla 2000 is.

Virtually every G reboot kind of lays the ground work for the world it operates in. Megaguirus, Against MechaG and Final Wars stop for a prologue/flashback montage at some point. GMK is verbally explicit in how it relates to the original.

G2K just plays everything kind of fast and loose. A world where Godzilla seems to be a fairly regular, known presence. But no real timeline laid out.

It could be viewed as a vague followup to any number of films I suppose. Or viewed as a 100% stand alone as it is best tangentially connected to even the original film. It is arguably the most one-off of the entire Millennium series. It is one "ominous explanatory text on black screen" away from functioning completely as a stand alone film. It arguably does as-is.

I remember some back in the day saying it was meant to be a 3rd in the "American Trilogy" after King of the Monsters and 1985. Which I guess can kinda sorta work if you just assume it's another Godzilla that has emerged.

I'm a little surprised that the US Version of the movie didn't try to add on some kind of context or prologue to the beginning to clear things up a bit.

I tend to not prefer the overdone anthology nature of the Millennium Era, so I've always liked the idea of connecting G2K to SOMETHING.

Putting it in an odd sequence of 54, 84, Biollante, 2000 is kind of interesting. It as a weird "low budget return to roots" sequel to G98 is also kind of a fun and quirky idea.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Chrispy_G wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:06 am
I'm a little surprised that the US Version of the movie didn't try to add on some kind of context or prologue to the beginning to clear things up a bit.
I'm not surprised at all. For a mainstream American/Western audience, that lack of explicit connection is a feature, not a bug. They typically go to a Godzilla movie to see something easy to digest that doesn't require any particular foreknowledge or set-up.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

And to general American audiences, a Godzilla movie is a Godzilla movie. Backstories, continuities and canon don't matter.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

It wouldn't shock me if a lot of people thought G2000 was a sequel to G98.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:25 pm It wouldn't shock me if a lot of people thought G2000 was a sequel to G98.
I dont remember a single person thinking that back in 2000.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:29 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:25 pm It wouldn't shock me if a lot of people thought G2000 was a sequel to G98.
Non fans that weren't that much into Godzilla? I saw people thinking Shin was the sequel to G14 and that was a limited release.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:34 pm
Non fans that weren't that much into Godzilla? I saw people thinking Shin was the sequel to G14 and that was a limited release.
That kind of assumption seems to prove Eabaker's point.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:47 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:34 pm

That kind of assumption seems to prove Eabaker's point.
Eabaker's point is correct. My entire family for example has watched Godzilla movies but only myself and my uncle follow it closely. They thought the showa series and the heisei series was the same Godzilla and were asking me where Minilla went.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I could see people seeing it as that. In fact, I'd bet plenty of people who went to the theatre to see Godzilla 2000 thought it was a sequel to the 98 American film. Why? Because it was a theatrical release of Godzilla quite shortly after the last one and while this movie had almost no buzz, the previous year had been a complete bombardment of Godzilla merch and advertising.

Lots of people, your sort of average causals, liked G98. I recall a lot of people who I knew at the time telling me how awesome it was cause they knew I was into Godzilla or whatever. At the time of course, that made my skin crawl cause I hated that movie (I've come to appreciate it more over time) but I couldn't very well tell them they were wrong.

Although the film didn't light the world on fire, I think a sequel probably could have had some success. Had G2000 been marketed as a sequel with a few minor tweaks or whatever, do a few inserts 1956 Godzilla style and it probably would have done a better box office. But Toho didn't want to fork over that kinda cash and Tristar weren't terribly interested in doing much either... But had it been presented that way with a few tweaks, yeah, probably could have done alright.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Also...in the year 2000, the 2nd theatrically released Pokemon movie was branded as "Pokemon: The Movie 2000" so the idea of '2000' being used as a play on the typical '2' in the title for sequels was certainly on my mind as a kid.

I don't recall giving much thought to what Godzilla 2000 was and how or if it connected to the American movie. I was 8. I remember it was a new Godzilla movie and "Godzilla wasn't done with computers in this one" so I was kind of excited because he looked more like I was used to.

I'm sure it crossed my mind. Back then they were the two newest movies, I do remember doing double features of them quite a lot when I had them both on video.

As an adult, I think it is, at worst, fun head-canon. Neither film are connected to any other film in any kind of big, direct way. Why NOT pair them up? They did even use a couple of the G98 roars in G2K. They are like orphans that could easily work as adopted siblings in my eyes.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Bro the real question is GMK a sequel to 1998 ;)
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

^ The opening scene would make you think so.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Ryu wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:30 am First of all, non-godzilla fans and the general public hate these movies. It doesn't matter if it's the 1954, showa era, vs Era, Millennium era, 98 film, Legendary, anime or Shin. They don't know, they don't want to know and they're angry with those who know. They don't respect this franchise and hate, no, contempt.
When the g-98 movie came out, it was just an excuse for them to throw the movie under a bus. And remember, I'm not talking about movie critics, but the general public.
Here in Portugal, in the year 2000, I remember when I showed the trailer of Godzilla 2000, to schoolmates, I was in the 7th grade, everyone thought it was a sequel to the G-98. And yes, this movie like the rest of the sequels and shin-gojira, never premiered in cinema and neither DVDs or TV.
Here in Portugal there is no demand for Japanese movies and anime, or distributors never release them. Don't ask me.
I know when I saw Legendary's Godzilla 2, it reminded a lot of people confused, because they thought this was a sequel to G-98. They didn't know about G-2014, Mutos, Kong skul Island (which everyone here hates because it's not a sequel to 2005 king kong or was part of the same universe as the lengendary), Rodan, mothra, Ghidorah or Atomic Breath and G-being unstoppable.
And corious here in Portugal I find they don't know anything about Japanese films. Here their hate is because movie is stupid and another is just a movie. Publico wanted a movie like James Cameron Titanic, or more than a movie. Like let's find Jesus.
But there had been disappointment. And it has nothing to do with the fact that G-98 is a bad representation of the Japanese character. And coriso I'm a fan of G-98, the series and Zilla. But when I have to tell the truth, I have to.
This is just flat out wrong. Maybe in your country, but don't think for a second that it's a representation of the public's opinion at large. The Kaiju genre is at the height of it's popularity since the 60s and 90s. Literally nobody I've ever talked to "hates" or holds "contempt" for them and those who like them. It honestly just sounds like you have a lot of internalized self hatred probably because someone made fun of you for liking the films, and now you've gone all doomer and think the entire world hates you and the thing you love.

It's hyperbolic nonsense.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

Breakdown wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:49 am
Ryu wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:30 am First of all, non-godzilla fans and the general public hate these movies. It doesn't matter if it's the 1954, showa era, vs Era, Millennium era, 98 film, Legendary, anime or Shin. They don't know, they don't want to know and they're angry with those who know. They don't respect this franchise and hate, no, contempt.
This is just flat out wrong. Maybe in your country, but don't think for a second that it's a representation of the public's opinion at large. The Kaiju genre is at the height of it's popularity since the 60s and 90s. Literally nobody I've ever talked to "hates" or holds "contempt" for them and those who like them. It honestly just sounds like you have a lot of internalized self hatred probably because someone made fun of you for liking the films, and now you've gone all doomer and think the entire world hates you and the thing you love.

It's hyperbolic nonsense.
I don't know who is more absurd you or your post.
Yes, in my country there is no demand for material, be it godzilla, anime or other japanese movies.
But for Mr Sensivel, I have a few questions:
Show which state you can talk about godzilla or something else related to japanese culture, do I know anyone make fun of you or call you crazy, loser and a bunch of shit? Or does it better feature art artists who aren't humiliated or had to stop drawing anime style or Japanese references because of their art teacher? Or rather, introduce a Japanese person, who, just by talking about this topic, won't look at you in an odd way, and call you Otaku or childlike.
Maybe next time think a little before attacking and insulting people, Breakdown.
And if you want to complain to the moderators, you are welcome. Because if I'm going to get a verbal warning, so do you.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Okay, how about neither of you continue to address this particular topic any further in the thread, and we just stick to talking about whether or not 2000 was or could have been perceived as a sequel to G'98?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:34 pm Okay, how about neither of you continue to address this particular topic any further in the thread, and we just stick to talking about whether or not 2000 was or could have been perceived as a sequel to G'98?
For me, it's fine. It's the second time that someone smart with a gun decides to attack and insult for having a different opinion. Maybe I should be out of TK.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Hardly an opinion when stating a fact. :P

I kid, I kid.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?