The Godzilla 2000 2000 theatrical experience

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Tamura
EDF Instructor

The Godzilla 2000 2000 theatrical experience

Post by Tamura »

Anyone remember what trailers played with G2K?

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Re: The Godzilla 2000 2000 theatrical experience

Post by Joseph Goodman »

The only one I remember clearly is this:

Film-tech's feature info & trailer archive lists:
Sony/Toho/TriStar
TES
Prints by DeLuxe Tokyo...j/k -DeLuxe Hollywood
6 Reels (reel 6 is a short one)
SDDS-8/SRD/SR (Sorry, DTS people)
Scope
Charlie's Angels trailer attached
Highlander:Endgame, 6th Day, and one other trailer encolsed

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Honestly, not at all. I couldn't tell you any of the trailers.

However, for some reason, I do remember that Jennifer Lopez movie The Cell coming out the same weekend as G2K. I never saw the film, but I remember it being out at the time.
Last edited by GojiDog on Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

The only thing I remember is seeing the trailer for G2K. I went nuts because I had recently just seen G98. I didn't know there were other Godzilla films at that point, at least I'm pretty sure. So I went nuts and ran to tell my parents. I do remember seeing it in theaters, especially the KATAGIRIIIIIIII scene.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I have a friend in America who saw it as a kid and he tells me that the atmosphere was crazy. He’d only seen Megalon, G98 and Godzilla: King of the Monsters before this.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

I remember so many people confused why Godzilla wasn’t the same as ‘98.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I saw the film in the Bronx, Co-op City movie theater if I recall correctly. I was four at the time (hell yeah). My mom brought me. Most likely seeing some Godzilla films on the tv, and it being out allowed me to go see it.

I remember a baby crying in the theater at one point. I also remember being very shocked and wowed when the Millenian transformed.

I remember getting a small pamphlet, which at the time might’ve had some concept art of Orga. If anyone can back me up on this, so I know it’s not a fever dream, I’d appreciate it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

I actually never saw G2K during its original release, tho I remember the advertising vividly. I remember seeing a big cardboard G2K poster in the lobby while standing in line for a different movie and thinking "that doesn't look like Godzilla (big pointy spikes) and I doubt it's much better than the other bad one with a weird design (GINO)" and so I didn't beg my parents to take me to see it. I vaguely remember assuming it was an American film, I guess because I couldn't grasp the idea of seeing in theaters the kind of film I could only see on VHS at that point, which also killed my excitement for it because I hated GINO. Didn't like it initially when i saw it on VHS, but a few years later I really enjoyed seeing it on DVD, became one of my favorite newer Godzilla films as a kid. I wonder how I would have liked it in theaters.
Last edited by Tamura on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

1:36

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ Can someone please recreate this in DVD/HD quality?

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Tamura wrote:^ Can someone please recreate this in DVD/HD quality?

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

G2K was the first (Japanese...real) Godzilla movie I saw in theaters.

I know a ton of non fans were confused as to why Godzilla didn't look the way he did in the 98 film and some even thought it was a sequel to that. But I followed the production online, and I knew it was the real McCoy.

I went to the theater with my two older brothers and my younger sister. All of us together indulging in my hobby. My sister at the time was very "Anti-Godzilla" and I felt like she went because she didn't want to be excluded from the siblings outing. However, she walked away from the film having fun with it, and it started her softening up towards the series. Just last year, she and her husband watched all the Heisei films in a marathon at her suggestion. This movie was the first brick in the wall of me converting her! lol.

Comparing it to my movie experience with G98, that was more of a typical movie going experience for an opening weekend. They cheered at some moments, laughed at some jokes, and gave a polite applause at the end. Meanwhile I sat there completely confused by what I had just witnessed. My 13 year old mind couldn't handle the idea of being disappointed by a movie. It was all new to me, lol.

G2K was like my experiences watching these movies at home on TV, but with a mostly full theater of people to share it with, and it was obvious that it was fans in attendance. The Toho Logo got a cheer, and so did all of Godzilla's big moments. Certain lines from the dubbing got some laughs, as well as some of the cheesier effects, but that was all part of the fun. It was a fun experience to say the least, and exactly what I was craving after the disappointment from 98.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

somehow forgot you did this!
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Sorry to re-iterate my question: but does anyone recall English Language American showings featuring some Orga concept art?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Sorry to re-iterate my question: but does anyone recall English Language American showings featuring some Orga concept art?
I saw it twice. The theater either didn't offer pamphlets or promotional material of anytime, or had they, I wasn't aware of it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There was no promotional media when I saw it as the theatre.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

My mom took my cousin and I. For 8 year old me, it might as well have been the best movie ever.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I almost missed out on seeing G2K in the theater with the cineplex I used to haunt at the time not playing it. If it wasn't for my mother visiting her own mother in the hospital at the time the Sunday following Labor Day,and meeting up with my cousin. A bit of a G-Fan himself, who had taken his nephew to see it at the theater that for much of my formative movie going years. That rainy night I scrambled to see it. Got in just in time to park my hindquarters in a chair when the CHARLIE'S ANGELS' trailer was winding down. On the subject of it being a rainy, drizzly night. After seeing the flick, and heading home. I couldn't help but think of Godzilla's opening appearance, and rampage in the film. Especially heading over the overpass, bridge, with a tool factory,and electrical transformer underneath it. A fun night all around.
Last edited by The One and Only on Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.