Godzilla vs. Gamera: How would you do it?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SteveIrwinFan96
G-Force Personnel

Godzilla vs. Gamera: How would you do it?

Post by SteveIrwinFan96 »

For those unaware, in 2002, Kadokawa Studios, after buying Daiei Studios, went to Toho to see if they would be interested in a Godzilla vs. Gamera crossover film. For unknown reasons, though there are a few theories as to why, Toho ultimately declined the project and went on to produce Final Wars while Kadokawa went on to produce Gamera the Brave.

It's not exactly a secret that most fans in the kaiju community want to see the two monsters battle it out on the big screen, but for various reason, it's unlikely to come to fruition. Still, I thought it'd be fun to speculate on what would've happened had Toho actually said yes to the project.

So, let's say you are in charge of the project. What would you do with the project? Keep in mind that there are a few things you would have to decide on, such as: Would be standalone or would it share continuity with past films, new or old suits, crew members like special effect directors, writer(s), director, composer, etc., would it be a "VS" all the way through or would they ultimately team up to defeat a greater foe, be it a new or old one, and the big decision, which is you decide on either a definitive winner or a draw.

You basically have free reign to do with what you with the film, coming up with your own ideas for the ideas listed above, along with things like story, production time, release date, and military weapons that could be used in the film. You can also decide on cast and characters, be it returning ones or new ones.

So, with all that said, the question being proposed to you all is this: How would make a Godzilla vs. Gamera film?

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs. Gamera: How would you do it?

Post by Gigantis »

Well honestly i don't really want this film but if Toho and Kadokawa stuck a gun to my head and forced me..

Takes place in a timeline where neither previous Godzilla and Gamera continuities happen, but Gamera is already well known as a hero kaiju. Once Godzilla arrives, Gamera begins to doubt humanity if they can outride the eviler side of the bunch before they create more monsters like Godzilla. Main characters are against a greedy buisiness dude who doesn't care about radioactive energy as long as he gets money. Final battle takes place in Tokyo where Gamera defeats Godzilla, but the end of the film shows he's not dead.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gamera is gonna self destruct. Think about it, this is a character who crashed into a spaceship killing himself just to stop in invader in the Showa series, blew off his own right hand to save a single person in the 90's trilogy, self destructed in the beginning of The Brave and even his reincarnation was planning to do the same when fighting Zedus.

So I think a fitting ending is Gamera self-destructs to try and kill Godzilla when everything else has failed. After the massive explosion he, Godzilla, is seen laying in the creator before he gets up, alive but critically injured, Godzilla returns to the ocean deciding he's had enough for today and I guess have some ancient tablets found in the film that give hints that Gamera reincarnates like he did in the Brave so his death is only temporary like a Phoenix. It's be the prefect way to conclude the unmovable object vs the unstoppable force theme the two would have in the film. Neither is gonna give but at some point something has to.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Sorry to be a negative nancy but I think this is basically impossible under the current circumstances. There are no definitive versions of either character right now (Gamera hasn't been seen since 2006, and there've been three distinct cinematic versions of Godzilla in the last decade), so it's a lot less appealing for me to do this right now than when both series were running concurrently ('70s or the late '90s/early 2000s).

I thought about a general storyline for about 15 minutes and I can't come up with anything that wouldn't be too heavy on exposition or too dated (like reviving the trilogy Gamera after 20 years).

The only way I could convince myself this would work in the near future would be to do a sort of "Shin" universe crossover. Shin Godzilla was a huge hit and the character is Toho's most popular iteration of the character since at least the Heisei era (maybe even longer than that). This is a good building block. My crossover would therefore pickup where SG left off and introduce a heroic Shin Gamera, whatever that might be.

Otherwise, I think this is an idea that's best kept off the screen until both Godzilla and Gamera series are active again.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Terasawa wrote:Otherwise, I think this is an idea that's best kept off the screen until both Godzilla and Gamera series are active again.
It does seem like every since the Heisei series one starts around the time the other is ending. Maybe they're friends off screen. :lol:

Last edited by BlankAccount on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I would not have Godzilla seen as winner (or Gamera). I would make both villains against humanity, and in the end their fate is left unknown besides a hint that they have survived.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I'd take a more mystical origin like the Gamera trilogy and GMK. Have them be opposing deities, Godzilla awakening similar to the Gyaos (i.e. the "requirements" of a damaged earth) and Gamera is awakened to fight him, likely by a character similar to Asagi or the kid from Gamera the Brave since deities tend to preside over many different things and one of them would be protector of children/future generations.
Resized Image

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

This I'm going to have to brainstorm on, currently torn between making this a stand-alone or a sequel to The Brave on the Gamera front. I admit some bias as I just think the Heisei trilogy continued is a concept that's been done to death in fan circles and The Brave has some good basis for getting things rolling. Part of me however I almost wanting to make it a period piece and set it in the 1960s.

If not a fullblown movie, but maybe a short film for TV or special theaters tied to another feature, I'd almost gander to maybe make it like the Ultraman vs. Kamen Rider crossover.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I would make it a sequel to DAM. A new monster (Gamera) appears and Godzilla investigates. This might sound crazy, but I’d be interested to see an evil Gamera. Maybe like a Herald to a more powerful being (King Ghidorah).

Ever since King Ghidorah was abducted by the Xilliens in 1965, Gamera has been aimlessly zooming about, attacking stuff. He comes to Earth and fights Godzilla. After a gory and violent battle, Godzilla wins by subduing Gamera, and locking him into a prison of ice in the arctic, with the help of Mothra.
For Emperor and Empire!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I think the problem that many people are running into is Gamera is very much codified as a heroic monster, and yet Godzilla is the most famous and popular character. So it's a precarious balancing match between letting the hero win and not be disrespectful to very popular villain

VoyagerGoji wrote:I would make it a sequel to DAM. A new monster (Gamera) appears and Godzilla investigates. This might sound crazy, but I’d be interested to see an evil Gamera. Maybe like a Herald to a more powerful being (King Ghidorah).

Ever since King Ghidorah was abducted by the Xilliens in 1965, Gamera has been aimlessly zooming about, attacking stuff. He comes to Earth and fights Godzilla. After a gory and violent battle, Godzilla wins by subduing Gamera, and locking him into a prison of ice in the arctic, with the help of Mothra.
Does sound interesting and I certainly would love to see a Showa era film. Mind if I borrowed that?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Desghidorah wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:I would make it a sequel to DAM. A new monster (Gamera) appears and Godzilla investigates. This might sound crazy, but I’d be interested to see an evil Gamera. Maybe like a Herald to a more powerful being (King Ghidorah).

Does sound interesting and I certainly would love to see a Showa era film. Mind if I borrowed that?
What for?
For Emperor and Empire!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:

What for?
Setting it in a Showa-era or Showa like setting, don't want to come off as copying you.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Desghidorah wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
Desghidorah wrote:
What for?
Setting it in a Showa-era or Showa like setting, don't want to come off as copying you.
Sure, but as long as you don’t have the same premise as mine.
For Emperor and Empire!

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I don't think a Millennium era Godzilla vs. Gamera movie would be very good.

I suppose they could have the Heisei Gamera fight the GMK Godzilla with the same director, but something about it would still feel "off" to me.

I guess i always imagined this movie as a Showa era film. The more serious these characters become, the less authentic it feels. I'm just not a big fan of the Millennium era filming techniques. I miss the incredibly long takes of monsters doing things.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Terasawa wrote:The only way I could convince myself this would work in the near future would be to do a sort of "Shin" universe crossover. Shin Godzilla was a huge hit and the character is Toho's most popular iteration of the character since at least the Heisei era (maybe even longer than that). This is a good building block. My crossover would therefore pickup where SG left off and introduce a heroic Shin Gamera, whatever that might be.
I think this works well. Who says there has to be only one type of aquatic animal that is mutated by that radioactive waste? Gamera could start out as a sea turtle that also fed on the waste and mutated in a similar fashion as Godzilla did. In time Gamera evolves as Shin did to adapt to land. The rapid evolution can easily explain Gamera's ability to fly.

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Post by Erimaki Anguirus »

They would fight and team up to defeat a creature that looks like a combination between Gyaos and Ghidorah.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Would have Gamera sacrifice himself, taking Godzilla out in the process. Other than that, not sure how I would do it.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I’d have it take place in the Heisei continuity and be a sequel to GvD.

Gamera would be a bio weapon made by G-Force in case Junior goes awry and/or another kaiju attacks Japan. One day, Gamera “malfunctions” and escapes its containment, following its “programming” to destroy Junior at whatever cost

There would be three major fights. One at sea, the other in the mountains, and the final in Tokyo. Junior would win after a hard fought battle and by blasting a hole straight through Gamera’s plastron, torso, and shell. Thinking to have killed him, Junior turns his back on Gamera, but Gamera, still alive, grabs Junior from behind and gathers all of the plasma in the hole Junior blasted and explodes. The explosion would level the entirety of Tokyo and completely destroy Gamera to the atom, yet Junior would survive, sustaining fairly significant damage.

Junior would then simply walk out to sea and disappear like nothing happened

i made this up as i went, but i think it’s cool lol
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Hire Shusuke Kaneko, because if there were ever a man for the job...

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Now I'm usually all for Godzilla being OP and wiping out the competition, but I think if there's anyone other than Guilala who deserves to beat Godzilla, it's Gamera. I'd do GvG as a Gamera movie, shit maybe even as a fourth Heisei Gamera film. Godzilla is unleashed due to a nuclear accident of some kind, and like Shin, take him back to his nuclear horror roots. Gamera fights him one time and can't hang. By the end Gamera beats Godzilla but can't actually kill him. Humanity learns it has to live with the demons it's unleashed upon this cursed earth. End credits with jaunty JPop!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.