GMK: Best Post-Showa Godzilla Film?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Is GMK the best post-Showa Godzilla film?

Yes, GMK is the best since at least 1975
17%
No, but it's the best Millennium series film
53%
No, not even close
30%

Total votes: 76

kiryu86
Samurai

Re: GMK: Best Post-Showa Godzilla Film?

Post by kiryu86 »

It's definately my favorite from the era and my second favorite overall. Godzilla looks amazing, the story is engaging. It's not perfect, but It's still my favorite

The world is a bit different. I like how America is mentioned but Japan in the film uses a lot of Russian based militaru equipment. I wonder what alternate timeline this is lol.
Not all who wander are lost

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Far from the best in my opinion. G84, GVM, GVMG2, Destroyah, the American Godzillas, 2000, S.O.S., Shin, and the anime trilogy I think are all better.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'd say very close second to Shin. My ranking would be:
Shin
GMK
Biollante
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I share the same sentiments with OP.

I like a lot of the post-Showa films, but I really admire how GMK weaves relevant themes, great cinematography/practical FX, and great kaiju action. It’s a well-paced, weighty popcorn film. Of course, other films also accomplish this but I just think GMK does a better job at it.

I know other entries like Shin didn’t try to be the same film as GMK, and theres nothing wrong with that at all. Its just that GMK resonates with me more.

Just to add, another plus for GMK in my book is how expressive the Godzilla suit in this one is.
Last edited by kaijukurt on Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Return of Godzilla, Biollante, GMK and Shin are my favorite post-Showa films, with GMK being my favorite of the bunch. Toho in no doubt impeded its quality but Kaneko's sensibilities and approach to the genre really appeal to me, especially not shying away from grand monster battles. He does a solid, commendable job recapturing that 60s golden age feel in contemporary standards.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tbeasley wrote:Return of Godzilla, Biollante, GMK and Shin are my favorite post-Showa films, with GMK being my favorite of the bunch.
I'd name the same four, but with Biollante as the favorite. But at that point, it feels like hair-splitting, because they're all well made movies that also resonate with me strongly in unique personal ways.
Last edited by eabaker on Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

I don't think GMK is the best post-Showa era film, but it is a fresh take on the characters. I think the best Post-Showa Godzilla films are Godzilla vs. Biollante (great story, music, practical effects), the Kiryu Saga (excellent everything), and Shin Godzilla - as it's also a fresh take on the character.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

EternalMothra wrote:I don't think GMK is the best post-Showa era film, but it is a fresh take on the characters. I think the best Post-Showa Godzilla films are Godzilla vs. Biollante (great story, music, practical effects), the Kiryu Saga (excellent everything), and Shin Godzilla - as it's also a fresh take on the character.
Finally someone who agrees with me on GxMG! Not SOS, though. I hate that movie.
For Emperor and Empire!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
EternalMothra wrote:I don't think GMK is the best post-Showa era film, but it is a fresh take on the characters. I think the best Post-Showa Godzilla films are Godzilla vs. Biollante (great story, music, practical effects), the Kiryu Saga (excellent everything), and Shin Godzilla - as it's also a fresh take on the character.
Finally someone who agrees with me on GxMG! Not SOS, though. I hate that movie.
Yeah, while I've come to appreciate Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla a lot more over time, I still regard Tokyo SOS as having some the worst storytelling in the franchise. It really has no functioning narrative spine.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I'm very much in the opinion of "To each their own". Different people can usually, if given enough collective opinions, decide on what films are good vs. poor, but saying "Best" is way too much YMMV for me to classify seriously. For example I actually prefer Battle for Earth vs. the OG Godzilla vs. Mothra film, Godzilla 2000 over Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and Godzilla 2014 over Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '74. But by the same token, I like Godzilla vs. Monster Zero more than I do Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and Terror of Mechagodzilla over Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.

Each era has ups and downs and I think it's subjectively hard to say any was totally better than the others to the point I could say "____ is the best Godzilla movie since ____ era". There's also the matter of films I think mean a lot vs. those I'm entertained by more. Shin Godzilla has some great political commentary and some stand out scenes, but the delivery for me is muddied by long stands of talking rapid fire political heads we barely see outside of a few shots. By comparison Tokyo SOS has a lot less to say, but the delivery is much more energetic with far fewer focus characters and more monster action. Point of an entertainment media like a film is to entertain after all.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I voted in the poll that GMK is the best post-Showa Godzilla film. I rewatched every Godzilla film last year for KOTM and I ranked them all off of a mix of personal/critical opinion. In my ranking, GMK is my fourth best Godzilla film behind Gojira (the critical favorite), Destroy all Monsters (my personal favorite), and Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster (good both critically and personally). GMK is by far my favorite of the Millenium with Final Wars being my second and I give it credit for its interpretations of the kaiju (even Ghidorah).

There are three movies that are close seconds to GMK though in terms of best movie post-Showa era (although I think they are better than at least half of the Showa):

1) The Return of Godzilla
2) Godzilla vs. Destoroyah
3) Shin Godzilla
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

villainzilla
Yojimbo

Post by villainzilla »

look im not trying to be a dick or anything,but honestly,what is so special about gmk anyways,i never got the hype for it

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

villainzilla wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:08 am look im not trying to be a dick or anything,but honestly,what is so special about gmk anyways,i never got the hype for it

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15024

A lot of people gave their reasons in this thread.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

GMK has probably dropped in my rankings over the years. It used to be near the top but it seems like I barely watch it these days. However, that may be due to my EXCESSIVE over-watching of this film in years past.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

EternalMothra wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:49 am I think the best Post-Showa Godzilla films are Godzilla vs. Biollante (great story, music, practical effects), and Shin Godzilla
^This

Godzilla vs Biollante, Godzilla 1985, and Shin Godzilla are the only Godzilla films I can enjoy since the early Showa Era films.

Everything up to Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster was good after that it was mostly downhill, although I have soft spots for Mecha-Godzilla and Terror of Mecha-Godzilla.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GMK isn't the best after the Showa era, but it is a great movie. There's an engaging story, good acting, and the fantasy elements add some spice to the plot.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

When I ignore favoritism and try to look at these films as objectively as I possibly can, the only films I think that approach GMK's quality are The Return of Godzilla*, Godzilla 2014, and Shin Godzilla – but there's something in each of them that causes them to fall only just short of GMK.

It's by a very narrow margin, but GMK is still top dog in my eyes.

*That said, if it were the "Godzilla Resurrection" fan cut instead of the actual film, I think The Return of Godzilla might edge out GMK. ;)
Last edited by Spuro on Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Just checked this thread for the first time in months. I'm honestly surprised only seven other users voted GMK the best post-Showa film. Based on comments above, it seems most who don't regard it as the best since '75 favor either Godzilla vs. Biollante, Shin Gojira or both. Saw a few mentions of Return of Godzilla as well.

Any other movies that you guys think top GMK?
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

The Zilla in Manila
Samurai

Post by The Zilla in Manila »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:22 pm Just checked this thread for the first time in months. I'm honestly surprised only seven other users voted GMK the best post-Showa film. Based on comments above, it seems most who don't regard it as the best since '75 favor either Godzilla vs. Biollante, Shin Gojira or both. Saw a few mentions of Return of Godzilla as well.

Any other movies that you guys think top GMK?
Probably an unpopular opinion but I like Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla more than GMK. I love the fights in GMK; it's one of the best but the fact that Ghidorah is the "good guy" always irks me.

I think I rank the Toho Godzilla films post Showa:
1) Shin Godzilla
2) Biollante
3) Return of Godzilla
4) Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
5) GMK
Resized Image

"It's funny because I was sitting there with [President Barack] Obama and Leo's [DiCaprio] is talking about the environment and I'm talking about clothes. And everyone looks at me like that's not an important issue or something." - The Brain of Kanye

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The movie features the luddite version of Godzilla. By that I mean the eschewing of the traditional science-based origins of Godzilla in favor of an something explicitly spiritual.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.