special effects question!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Luis_457
Ronin

special effects question!

Post by Luis_457 »

im new to this site and i wanted to ask since this is the millennium topic,
What kind of material do the wings have inside?(mothra Godzilla: tokyo sos)
im talking about the rods that you can clearly see on the prop, ive been researching and i still haven't found a answer.
i asked this same question in the activity topic because im making a Mothra prop that is turning out good, the thing is that i dont know what the wings have in them. i dont need the cloth type but if you do know i will be also pleased.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: special effects question!

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Luis_457 wrote:im new to this site and i wanted to ask since this is the millennium topic,
im talking about the rods that you can clearly see on the prop, ive been researching and i still haven't found a answer.
i asked this same question in the activity topic because im making a Mothra prop that is turning out good, the thing is that i dont know what the wings have in them. i dont need the cloth type but if you do know i will be also pleased.
Could you post a picture of exactly what you're talking about?

I'm sure we could find it, if we digged hard enough. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the SFX books includes details like that.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Luis_457
Ronin

Post by Luis_457 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Luis_457 wrote:im new to this site and i wanted to ask since this is the millennium topic,

I'm sure we could find it, if we digged hard enough. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the SFX books includes details like that.
i dont know how to put images but i can put the link to the image.
LINK:https://i.pinimg.com/736x/2f/51/6e/2f51 ... 073eb5.jpg
the picture has been added recently in Reddit and its unique because it lets you see mostly every detail the prop has.
now if you see at the wings you'll see that it has some lines. those lines are the ones that help the wind stand, as well as the wires. now they can't be pvc or any kind of solid stick formed material because it wouldnt move the same as its shown in the film.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Luis_457 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

the picture has been added recently in Reddit and its unique because it lets you see mostly every detail the prop has.
now if you see at the wings you'll see that it has some lines. those lines are the ones that help the wind stand, as well as the wires. now they can't be pvc or any kind of solid stick formed material because it wouldnt move the same as its shown in the film.
Okay so the question is what material was used to support Mothra's wings in Godzilla Tokyo Sos.
I'm sure the answer exists somewhere, probably in the TOKYO SOS guide book.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Luis_457
Ronin

Post by Luis_457 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Luis_457 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Could you post a picture of exactly what you're talking about?

Okay so the question is what material was used to support Mothra's wings in Godzilla Tokyo Sos.
im going to take a look

Added in 13 minutes 57 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Luis_457 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Could you post a picture of exactly what you're talking about?

okay the book i found that looks to have a lot of special effects talk is the "Godzilla: Tokyo SOS fantastic collection

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well next we'd need images of the page talking about creating Mothra, and some who could read it (me!).

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

LSD Jellyfish coming to the rescue once again. But seriously dude, its great to have you here to do stuff like this, so cool.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote:LSD Jellyfish coming to the rescue once again. But seriously dude, its great to have you here to do stuff like this, so cool.
Don’t put too much faith in me, as I’m busy with a few different projects at once, and still have to go to work, and just enjoy my life. I’m just saying this as there’s a lot I’m currently busy doing, and I don’t want to disappoint/mislead anyone.

But yes, if someone can provide me a page from the Tokyo SOS SFx Book, I have no problem scanning and looking for an answer.

Luis_457
Ronin

Post by Luis_457 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well next we'd need images of the page talking about creating Mothra, and some who could read it (me!).
im going to have to buy the book so its going to take sometime until i get it. don't worry i really want the book anyways so its not like a waste of money!.... but i also found this listing on ebay that shows some pictures of the book and one of them is the mothra page. and it has a picture of the wings inside!!...
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XDsAAOSw ... s-l500.jpg

there is the picture, the picture of the inside wings is in the top left

Added in 1 minute 7 seconds:
looking at it right now... the picture doesnt show the letters that good.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Luis_457 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well next we'd need images of the page talking about creating Mothra, and some who could read it (me!).
im going to have to buy the book so its going to take sometime until i get it. don't worry i really want the book anyways so its not like a waste of money!.... but i also found this listing on ebay that shows some pictures of the book and one of them is the mothra page. and it has a picture of the wings inside!!...

Yeah unfortunately I can’t read that at all. Way too small. Japanese kanji are annoying as the more radicals/strokes they have the more difficult it is to read.

In any case, should you get high scans, or someone else does (or I visit Tokyo in a few weeks) I’ll be more than happy to help.

Luis_457
Ronin

Post by Luis_457 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Luis_457 wrote:

Yeah unfortunately I can’t read that at all. Way too small. Japanese kanji are annoying as the more radicals/strokes they have the more difficult it is to read.

In any case, should you get high scans, or someone else does (or I visit Tokyo in a few weeks) I’ll be more than happy to help.
im going to buy the book, it says it will get to me on December 18-24. so its going to take sometime to get to me.... why go to Tokyo??

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Luis_457 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Luis_457 wrote:

im going to buy the book, it says it will get to me on December 18-24. so its going to take sometime to get to me.... why go to Tokyo??
I live an hour and a half away from Tokyo so I take regular trips there regardless.
But buy the book! I'll get something else there.

Luis_457
Ronin

Post by Luis_457 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Luis_457 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Yeah unfortunately I can’t read that at all. Way too small. Japanese kanji are annoying as the more radicals/strokes they have the more difficult it is to read.

I live an hour and a half away from Tokyo so I take regular trips there regardless.
But buy the book! I'll get something else there.
alright that sounds good. i will make another message when the book gets to me. if you find out something about the wings don't hesitate to tell me.

Luis_457
Ronin

Post by Luis_457 »

Alright so after like a year or so i found out whats in there! and i had to only look into the wikizilla page for mothra and says that it used indian fabric which i assume is the fabric the wings are made out of, and a wicker frame. the page does specify but i found out what they mean. The material in there is wicker frame rod. if you ever had that kind of chairs you know those things are flexible and can stay straight. Also in the past year I instead changed into a 2 ft i think long mothra because the one i was making was really unproportionate and it didnt look that great. I got a hold of pictures of the mechanics of the inside of the prop from behind the scenes. This time I feel good and i have a clear path to finishing this one. Maybe ill sell some....(foreshadowing) :)