Say something negative about the Milennium Series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Re: Say something negative about the Milennium Series

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

megaguirus is the most boring and forgettable kaiju i have ever seen
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:megaguirus is the most boring and forgettable kaiju i have ever seen
If referring to the kaiju's design, I have to disagree. However his execution in the movie left much to be desired

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:megaguirus is the most boring and forgettable kaiju i have ever seen
Really? More boring than Maguma, Gezora, the rubber noodle sea snake from King Kong Escapes, that dopey Griffon from Latitude Zero? And outside the realm of Toho there's fucking Gappa! Even if we go back to classic Godzilla kaiju, Megaguirus is plenty more interesting in design than creatures like Ebirah and Kamacuras, which are just overgrown animals. Megaguirus is part dragonfly, part scorpion and part Godzilla. If you don't like the prop used to portray her, fine, I get that, but I really don't even think she's a contender for the most boring and forgettable kaiju ever.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Really? More boring than Maguma, Gezora, the rubber noodle sea snake from King Kong Escapes, that dopey Griffon from Latitude Zero? And outside the realm of Toho there's skreeonking Gappa! Even if we go back to classic Godzilla kaiju, Megaguirus is plenty more interesting in design than creatures like Ebirah and Kamacuras, which are just overgrown animals. Megaguirus is part dragonfly, part scorpion and part Godzilla. If you don't like the prop used to portray her, fine, I get that, but I really don't even think she's a contender for the most boring and forgettable kaiju ever.
I think even the condor is a better monster. At least it has that WTF factor.

megaguirus - ugly, boring, forgettable, not entertaining.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Really? More boring than Maguma, Gezora, the rubber noodle sea snake from King Kong Escapes, that dopey Griffon from Latitude Zero? And outside the realm of Toho there's skreeonking Gappa! Even if we go back to classic Godzilla kaiju, Megaguirus is plenty more interesting in design than creatures like Ebirah and Kamacuras, which are just overgrown animals. Megaguirus is part dragonfly, part scorpion and part Godzilla. If you don't like the prop used to portray her, fine, I get that, but I really don't even think she's a contender for the most boring and forgettable kaiju ever.

My best friend will be heartbroken to hear it. Megaguirus is his favorite kaiju :lol:
To each their own I guess. Personally, I think if a Millennium kaiju should be condemned for shit design, it should by Keizer Ghidorah. What a letdown for Godzilla's final opponent of the decade.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I love Keizer Ghidorah. I know the crew was trying to evoke awe and menace, and I know that they also utterly failed to do either. That's what I love about him; it's like the lovably stupid Gezora. It's so entertaining watching Tom Kitagawa throw tiny-winged, pantomime horse Ghidorah around a lousy set by the costume's heads. It's so ridiculous and stupid that I love everything about it in spite of itself.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Really? More boring than Maguma, Gezora, the rubber noodle sea snake from King Kong Escapes, that dopey Griffon from Latitude Zero? And outside the realm of Toho there's skreeonking Gappa! Even if we go back to classic Godzilla kaiju, Megaguirus is plenty more interesting in design than creatures like Ebirah and Kamacuras, which are just overgrown animals. Megaguirus is part dragonfly, part scorpion and part Godzilla. If you don't like the prop used to portray her, fine, I get that, but I really don't even think she's a contender for the most boring and forgettable kaiju ever.

My best friend will be heartbroken to hear it. Megaguirus is his favorite kaiju :lol:
To each their own I guess. Personally, I think if a Millennium kaiju should be condemned for poop design, it should by Keizer Ghidorah. What a letdown for Godzilla's final opponent of the decade.
I hate Keizer Ghidorah's horse legs. Looks like shit.

Love Monster X though.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Maguma and Black Moth are 10X more interesting than Megaguirus will ever be. :lol:
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Megaguirus does lack the ability to beam spam.

I find him one of my favorites of the Milennium series since he is small, fast, and agile, with no beam weapons. Instead of being big, slow, and a damage sponge, while spamming beam weapons that cause pretty sparks but not much else.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Tokyo S.O.S is such a bore to get through. I honestly cannot stay awake for the halfway mark.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tyrantgoji wrote:Tokyo S.O.S is such a bore to get through. I honestly cannot stay awake for the halfway mark.
Yeah, it's the only Godzilla movie where I literally have to take (at a minimum) day-long breaks in order to get through it. Last time, I think it took me about a month to watch the entire movie (and I still barely paid attention during the second half).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

eabaker wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Tokyo S.O.S is such a bore to get through. I honestly cannot stay awake for the halfway mark.
Yeah, it's the only Godzilla movie where I literally have to take (at a minimum) day-long breaks in order to get through it. Last time, I think it took me about a month to watch the entire movie (and I still barely paid attention during the second half).
Oh good, are we talking about the fact that Tokyo SOS is one of the worst Godzilla movies and hands down the worst of the Millennium series? I can sum the whole movie up in one word: derivative. It's the only Godzilla film which literally brings nothing new to the table. Not a single God(zilla)damn thing.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GXM is probably the most intriguing of Tezuka's three Godzilla films (can't believe I just typed that) despite some massive flaws. GXMG has Oshima's best score and some fine character moments. The interesting premise, however, is squandered on a film that ends up being just another monster wrestling match. (And it has no conclusion!) SOS has an almost spectacular climax and some solid SFX photography but otherwise it's one of my very least favorites in the entire tokusatsu canon because -as others have said- it's boring as sin.

They all three stink and are in my bottom ten for the entire series.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I've always found that the lighting of the SFX sequences in Tokyo SOS completely betrays any sense of scale. The miniatures are well made, but they just end up looking like well made miniatures.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Yeah, I'm with you on that: Tokyo S.O.S. is the worst in the Millenium series. It takes almost everything from Mothra vs. Godzilla except for the message on greed and mixes it with the exact same plot of the previous movie, except this time with awful scenography. I can only think on Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla as the other film where you can't suspend your disbelief and NOT see a bunch of guys with suits smashing miniature buildings. Like, c'mon, GXM was released a year before and the photography is crème de la crème, of course they were able of more.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

The entire Millennium series is one giant PTSD reaction to Godzilla 1998
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

eabaker wrote:I've always found that the lighting of the SFX sequences in Tokyo SOS completely betrays any sense of scale. The miniatures are well made, but they just end up looking like well made miniatures.
So, on my most recent viewing, I changed my mind on this completely. There are really only two or three shots where this issue occurred, and that's not at all unusual for this genre.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Godzilla: Final Wars set the franchise back 30 years.

- Featuring the likes of Hedorah, Gigan, King Caesar, and Anguirus
- A bunch of weird stylistic influences from genre films of the time
- A generally goofy, outrageous, more child-skewing tone
- Ticket sales terrible enough to put the franchise on hold for nearly 10 years
- Like Godzilla vs Megalon, which atypically received a lot of heavy promotion in the US, only to seemingly prove the worst assumed traits of "all Godzilla movies"....Final Wars took the heightened publicity and attention of Godzilla's 50th anniversary "goodbye" film and once again validated the dismissive "All Godzilla movies are trash" opinions of the series.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Chrispy_G wrote:Godzilla: Final Wars set the franchise back 30 years.

I'm confused. It set the movie back to 1974 by leaning on the stylistic tropes of 2004?

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

eabaker wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:Godzilla: Final Wars set the franchise back 30 years.

I'm confused. It set the movie back to 1974 by leaning on the stylistic tropes of 2004?
What I meant was, like the 70s films, Final Wars ALSO pulled stylistic influences from around the time.

In the 70s, Godzilla was trying to appeal to kids, have bloody fights, incorporate James Bond-esque 'spy' elements into films like Mechag74, etc

In 04, it was leaning on X-Men, Matrix, Independence Day type influences.